Novice - Choosing his first helmet?

A properly fitted helmet should give you a case of moderate hamster face.

Put it on, no strap, reach behind your head, pull up and over, if your helmet moves much more than half an inch... It's too loose.

Would also not go second hand or with a helmet older than 5 years. The expanded polystyrene core compresses and shrinks over time. In very old helmets you'll find it roll around inside the liner and shell.

Sure you'll meet the legal requirement of wearing a helmet but you may as well just wear a fedora with all the protection you'll get from it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I found my problem.. My Arai helmet is like 3-5 years old. I just tried on a Shoei Quest and it was 100x better and comfortable. There's actually room to wear earbuds, etc. Now I can see what I was missing...

I found my problem.. My Arai helmet is like 3-5 years old. I just tried on a Shoei Quest and it was 100x better and comfortable. There's actually room to wear earbuds, etc. Now I can see what I was missing...

I have the Quest and it's a great helmet! Only problem is that with a Puig Racing screen, the air is directed straight to the air intake outside of the "mouth" area.(I'm 6'0 btw) and it creates an annoying whistle sound whenever it's open. I just put on that rubber lining that the windscreen brings a few days ago and it helps. Other than that though, very comfortable helmet.

Man if I had the cash I would definitely be all over that RS-1 deal, even though blue is all that's left. Back when i bought the qwest, the rs-1 was also on top of my list when I was looking for a new helmet

After an hour of trying on the 1100, Quest, and many more top of the line Shoei's and Arai's, I went with the Quest... It easily fit me the best and I actually went with a small.

I got it for $325 in matte black.

Last edited:

Back