No-Cut Frame Slider Recommendation

I sent an email to T-Rex Racing at the end of November, asking for the price of No-Cut frame sliders for an FZ6R. The reply I received was a cost of $49.95 plus $10 shipping. I wonder why they gave me a larger price. I mentioned I read about them on the FZ6R-forum.com, but that was the price they provided me in their reply email.
I got the same email although now I'm thinking it's an OK price since they quoted you in the US and I'm in Canada.

FitZ6R

Contacted TREX and sent them the pictures I sent you.
What did you observe or think ?
Do you have a pic straight from the side? I'm wondering what your mounting angle is (i.e., where the instructions say, "between the 3 to 6 o'clock position).

bjpinub

Many thanks to all those who replied with suggestions. Per the email I received from T-Rex, what does everyone think of the $59.95 shipped price for T-Rex No-Cut frame sliders? Is this a decent price? Anyone have a currently lower price from a different company?

What is the install process like for the T-Rex sliders? Is it a do-it-yourself project? I am not mechanically inclined, so I wasn't sure if this is something I could do, or just let someone with cycle modification experience perform.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Many thanks to all those who replied with suggestions. Per the email I received from T-Rex, what does everyone think of the $59.95 shipped price for T-Rex No-Cut frame sliders? Is this a decent price? Anyone have a currently lower price from a different company?

What is the install process like for the T-Rex sliders? Is it a do-it-yourself project? I am not mechanically inclined, so I wasn't sure if this is something I could do, or just let someone with cycle modification experience perform.
That's about as good a price that's out there currently. The install is a breeze. Do you know how to use a wrench and which direction to turn a bolt to loosen and tighten it? If you can answer yes to these questions, you can do it in 20 minutes or less. :thumbup:

Bigevildoer

If you've taken off the fairing you can do this install no problems. Might have to use a bit of muscle to undo the bolts of the engine casing (where the Sliders bolt on that is), but that's about it.
Only have to take off the left side of the fairing if I remember correctly.
Should have it all done in about 30 minutes taking your time. Don't forget to use blue coloured thread-lock as well to prevent vibrations from loosening the bolts over time.

Later!

bjpinub

See three photos attached.
SilentT, or anyone else...

Does anyone have pictures of the No-Cut Frame Sliders before installation? The company I work for is part Engineering and part manufacturing. One of our engineers was wanting to see some pictures of the sliders before installation, to get an idea of how they look and how they are designed. Who knows, he might be able to come up with a better design.

fzbrooke

I installed the T-Rex Sliders tonight and had a different problem. On the right side the bolt was way too long and threaded wrong. I tightened it and the bolt was only part way in, the slider was loose and moved about 1 1/2 inches out. I backed out the bolt and there were fine metal shavings. I blew them out with compressed air and could not even thread the original bolt very far after that. I ended up putting two large bolts inside of the slider as spacers and tightening up the bolt that way. It never did get super tight but I am afraid of over tightening it, as the threading is clearly not right.

fzbrooke

SilenT,
After seeing you pictures I went and looked at my left side. The bracket is touching the cover, but not as bad as yours would be before grinding, but it is touching and the there is a small space where it mounts to the engine bolt on one side. So obviously it tightened more on one side because the bracket is at an angle where it hits the cover on the engine. Perhaps I will need to grind too, or add a washer. The bolt comes through the other side of the slider conspicuously close to hitting the cover as well as I tighten it.

SilentT

Trex

Mine put a small mark in the cover when it touched so I removed it and went to machining off 3-MM
It stands to reason of that is what we are potecting then it should not touch ther engine case
No word back from TREX - sent them the pictures in this thread.

SilentT

TREX Clearance Issue

FYI To ALL,
TREX has reveiwed my pictures and :surrender: the clearance issue. They have replied that the bracket will be modified for future purchases. Big Caution to all that have them installed: Check your clearace and DO NOT let this bracket touch the engine csae. Let's face it, this was designed to protect the bike including exposed engine covers where possible. If you dump it and the bracket is touching, the engine cover will sustain damage that need not occur.

gearhead

Thanks for the info! I just checked mine and it is loose-fitting (lock-washers not snug) and touching the case as well. What is T-rex doing to rectify this defect for their existing customers of this product? Any recalls? Notifications of a defect? Parts replacement? etc?

fzbrooke

Anyone else have the problem with the bolt on the right hand side being waaaay too long and threading wrong?

vitrox

i have shogun no cuts on my r1, don't bother, they are garbage, the mount rotated when I lowsided and broke the mid fairing mounts. go with graves, intuitive, motovation.

bjpinub

I received my T-Rex frame sliders today. Just out of curiosity, are the sliders supposed to feel like plastic? Maybe I was expecting them to be metal, or maybe they are metal and just have a plastic coating on them. As obvious as it is, I have never dealt with frame sliders, since I have never owned a bike before my FZ6R. I will try to get some pictures once I have them installed. I hope I won't run into any issues with installing them, but I guess I will have to wait and see.

By the way, is a torque wrench recommended for installing these frame sliders? Or, is tightening them snugly good enough?

cbzdel

i expted them to be metal as well so I googled it when I got mine, I guess metal could cause more harm than good, such as if a crash happens and its sliding and the slider hit a crack or something in the road it could make the bike flip.

If they are plastic, they just grind away..

Another was if you gas tank is breached the sparks from metal sliders could start a fire..

Not 100% how legit those responses where but they sound good enough to me.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
What cb said is the gist of it. Durable plastic prevents sparks as well as grinds down and/or breaks off to prevent flipping. Additionally, plastic is a little more elastic than metal, so there is a minor amount of shock absorbing capabilities.

JonKerr

Elite Member