New Ride: gsx-r600

ksanbon

Cool. Aim for 35mm both ends
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Thanks Marthy!

Preload & damping were came from the factory stiffer than the standard setting. I reset the front yesterday.
I wasn't sure how to get the front to 35mm, so I used a hex key (not a screwdriver as I posted earlier) to turn the adjuster 3 turns to increase the pre-load from the softest setting (6.25 turns = standard).
To reset the front shock damping, I used a screwdriver to maximize the damping for compression and rebound (seperate settings) then turned the adjusters back 7 turns (4.5 turns = standard). The process took a few minutes.

The bike doesn't come w/ an adjuster for the rear pre-load because they want it taken to the dealer. I can reset the damping force, but I'll wait until the pre-load is reset.

Today I went for a 90 mile ride. What a difference! The front end rides so smoothly and doesn't bounce on harsh bumps anymore (the rear still does). The bike still turns in easily and tracks effortlessly. I'll need to stiffen it up as my confidence and speed increase, especially after the bike gets past the 1000 mile break-in limit - about 750 miles to go...

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ST3RL0

Nice ride Mate! Always love those Gixxers, 750 would be my perfect SS bike. How about the brakes? That's what hit me the most every time I jump on the 6R, brake sucks compare to the 09. I do enjoy the 6R a lot still but the brakes... I scare myself again this morning, I tough the lever was gonna bend but the bike just kept going LOL

The 09 has an older R6 version brakes and I upgrade for HH serinted brake pads. That thing stop on a dime!
You running braided lines on the 6? Really increases the stopping power and locks up the rear easier

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ksanbon

I'm getting about 35-40 mpg on my 2014 gsxr600 depending on how hard I ride it. They are sweet bikes. Find I use the gixxer for my rides, 6r for errands and commuting and the Trophy for riding with wife.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.
1. What color gsx-r? Pics?
2. Please start a thread to tell us about the Trophy.
Thanks!

Fizzer6R

6R is bone stock suspension wise. The FZ09 is a different ball game. I revalve the front with .90 spring (.75 stock) and I use the 08 ZX-10 shock. I did the front lines with EBC HH pads and I have a set of 320mm rotors on the way! :)

Having a well dialed suspension makes a huge difference! I wish I did that on the 6R right from the beginning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
amen to that brother!... it really transforms the bike into a well oiled machine w/handling to match the performance of a moto engine. esp. when most come under-sprung

a lot of FZ6R owners are new riders and prob. don't have anything to compare - the brakes are bad. we see all these guys spending so much $ on new exhaust etc. and I want to reply upgrade the brakes 1st, they need it. heck even the stock brakes on my older zx-10r are poor compared to the R1 based ones on my FZ1, and are no way on par to slow down the Ninja beast.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

rrob5382

that sucks.... i guess ive been lucky to have fairly decent weather at least since i bought my bike 2 weeks ago, only drove my car to work once since then, and that was only because i had to work until 2AM..

ksanbon

Gas mileage update

last 2 fill-ups: 303 miles / 6.3 gallons = 48 mpg

It currently has 445 miles, so I'm keeping it under 7500 rpm during break-in. I've been riding it like I rode my fz6r when I was being conservative. The 6r was getting 46 mpg under the same conditions. The figures will change when I can open the throttle to the max, but I'm happy that it has fuel-efficiency potential.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Grumpy

Nice ride like the colors too! 750 or middle weight bikes I think are the best as well. The right 600ss can be a lot of fun on the street (GSXR or CBR), so arn't that great for street riding.
Would have got the GSXR750 but the dealer wouldn't deal, so I got the CBR1000 for 1k less than what the other dealer wanted for the 750.

Have fun and keep the shinny side up! :thumbup:

ksanbon

Nice ride like the colors too! 750 or middle weight bikes I think are the best as well. The right 600ss can be a lot of fun on the street (GSXR or CBR), so arn't that great for street riding.
Would have got the GSXR750 but the dealer wouldn't deal, so I got the CBR1000 for 1k less than what the other dealer wanted for the 750.

Thanks Grumpy.
CBR's a great choice - congrats!

RoadTrip

Grumpy, can you speak to power wheelies and winding it out on a liter? I am considering a liter bike, but don't really want to be on throttle patrol all the time avoiding power wheelies. I also like winding out my bikes, WOT on a 600-750 all the way to redline even in first or second is fast, but the bike still remains composed. Is a liter bike essentially a sub-10K RPM affair, or have you found it possible to be aggressive with it? All I ever hear is that 'a liter can bite hard', I don't want to get bit :) I don't see a reason to move up in power if I can't use it.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

RoadTrip

It seems you've answered your own question in this paragraph. If you want a bike you can safely go WOT on a public road, then you don't want a liter bike, period. Even a SS is tough to get to WOT past 10K RPM's in first on a public road in a legal manner.
Perhaps I overstated the WOT, no reason to get all condescending. I think my question is valid, lots of people ride liter bikes, I was hoping Grumpy would revisit this thread and give his input.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Grumpy

Grumpy, can you speak to power wheelies and winding it out on a liter? I am considering a liter bike, but don't really want to be on throttle patrol all the time avoiding power wheelies. I also like winding out my bikes, WOT on a 600-750 all the way to redline even in first or second is fast, but the bike still remains composed. Is a liter bike essentially a sub-10K RPM affair, or have you found it possible to be aggressive with it? All I ever hear is that 'a liter can bite hard', I don't want to get bit :) I don't see a reason to move up in power if I can't use it.
I don't want to hijack this thread so I will send you a PM. ;)

Bruno

It was a deal that I couldn't resist. Suzuki is offering 0.5% financing for 6 years + $1000 rebates on the 2013's. OTD price with the $580 Suzuki 5 year (4 + standard 1) was $11,974. My payments are $168.86. Total interest on the loan is $183.24.
As a bonus, the dealership does the first oil change & service for free.
Anyone looking for a better deal could get a blue/white w/ a diffenent paint scheme for $700 less at a different dealership.

Anyway, I picked it up yesterday. It was a great day. Rode the train 85 miles south to Santa Barbara then rode the bike home. I should have taken pictures from the train because a good part of the ride was along the edge of the coast.

I had ridden the bike a few days earlier, because the dealership allows test rides once the numbers have been agreed upon.

The riding position works for me because I'm used to ridiing bicycles w/ dropped handlebars (on the 6r, I moved the bars forward and turned them down, but it never felt right). The gsxr feels compact because of the narrow bars and the forward seating position. It also feels smaller because it's balanced w/o having the top-heaviness of th 6r. The difference between the bikes is significant enough that I'm surprised that I felt so comfortable on it from the beginning.

It was a great ride home. Suzuki recommends keeping the rpm below 7500 for 600 miles, then under 11,000 til you get to 1,000. I plan on doing just that while spending time riding in each gear to break it in.

I know it's going accelerate better than the 6r. In first gear, it reaches 39 mph at 7500 rpm. The redline is over 15,000 rpm so I won't have to shift when accelerating to merge on freeways.

I can't believe how easy it is to ride. I ride both bikes back-to-back this morning. Here are my impressions...
1. there's no clunking it into 1st gear.
2. bottom-end is good - high revs/slipping clutch isn't required to take off.
3. shifting is smooth like the 6r, but the slipper clutch makes down-shifting super-easy.
5. the ride is smooth despite the suspension's high-performance orientation.
4. cornering is confidence inspiring - I can go in faster and more relaxed because it seems to know what needs to be done better than I do. It feels like a part of me. Chalk it up to riding position, suspension, tires, geometry, narrow bars, & electic steering damper.
5. the aerodynamics are better. I had planned to put a ZeroGravity sport-touring windscreen on it, but might save the cash instead. There's less buffeting in every wind direction and for every seationg position on the gsxr than my 6r w/ the Puig Racing windscreen. I couldn't believe it!
6. way more fun than i thought...

The negatives...
1. premium gas
2. no fuel gauge - indicator flashes @ 1 gal left & stays on @ 0.4 gal.
3. clock or odometer - you have to scroll between them, 3 trip odos, & the lap time counter.
4. recommended oil change interval is 3500 miles or 1 year.
5. it doesn't turn as sharp as the 6r when I'm moving it by hand.

I love it, but I might try to also keep the 6r because it fills a diffenent need and it's been a great bike for me. I'll update after 1000 miles.
Congratulation for the ride! You made me remember interest rate in Brazil is a joke.... My bike was financed in 4 years at an interest rate of 2,1%/month...