my r6 header set up

Stoppsladd

When are you getting a dyno for a custom map for the PCV? Otherwise you'll run too rich.

My plan is to do that soon.
But i also want to put it in a dyno and test it with the standard ECU and see how wrong or right it is. Maybe try to adjust the C1 and C2 values a bit to see how that works.

But i think i will do some more testruns during the week or during this weekend and take the plugs out n check colour of those. If they are black..then im running to rich, white ..to lean.. and light nut brownish well then its okay.

But i guess your right about that PCV and dyno run.
I just want to test what the bikes own system can deliver first. U now i also have the O2 sensor to help me out. that will adjust ECU down if its running to rich or up if running to lean. But on full throttle there is a closed loop (what i have heard) and is only running the ECU settings.

MikeN02

Want to see the final product, if it works I'm definitely going this way. I was debating between dropping the 900 for two bros or this r6 headers. Hard part for me is to find a dyno place around here.

Since we're on the topic, what's the loudest slip-on available for the r6 headers?

Stoppsladd

Want to see the final product, if it works I'm definitely going this way. I was debating between dropping the 900 for two bros or this r6 headers. Hard part for me is to find a dyno place around here.

Since we're on the topic, what's the loudest slip-on available for the r6 headers?
I also have to travel for some miles for a dyno. (about 100km...)

I can have a look at my computa tonight and see if i can give you any more pics of the final result. It looks really nice. :cool:
And i think if you are a bit of a handyman you can have it look really nice and save a lot of money.

I think the Devil slip-on is one of the loudest.
But if you do like i did and shorten the slip-on you can make it sound more.

Viper also have a model that they call "Micro" and that one is wery short.

Then you have to concider depending on wich material the silencer is made of it sounds different also.
Stainless will have more of a sharp tone while carbon will be more toned down.

Stoppsladd

Now i have some pics of the system mounted.

exhaustpipe R6 -00 year
silencer MIVV carbon shortened to a total lenght of 36cm.

I still have some problems fitting my bellypan cover.
The distancebrackets i made were too short....:mad:

Hope you like the system anaway.

Attachments

MikeN02

Now i have some pics of the system mounted.

exhaustpipe R6 -00 year
silencer MIVV carbon shortened to a total lenght of 36cm.

I still have some problems fitting my bellypan cover.
The distancebrackets i made were too short....:mad:

Hope you like the system anaway.
That's the half fairing XJ6 right? I wonder how it'll look with a fairing covering the pipes.

Stoppsladd

That's the half fairing XJ6 right? I wonder how it'll look with a fairing covering the pipes.
No this is the "nude" version. kalled just XJ6
Then you have the half fairing verison called XJ6 diversion.
And finally your model, full fairing (FZ6R) called XJ6 diversion F

richierich781

hi everyone, i have read this whole thread on the r6 muffle mod. has anyone thought of just using the stock header and cutting it where it connects to the box and fashion a mid pipe to extend the header and then throw on a slip on in the end? just my two cents and this idea has probably been discussed before.

Stoppsladd

hi everyone, i have read this whole thread on the r6 muffle mod. has anyone thought of just using the stock header and cutting it where it connects to the box and fashion a mid pipe to extend the header and then throw on a slip on in the end? just my two cents and this idea has probably been discussed before.

You could do that.
BUT.. then you have destroyed your original system and that is not cheap to buy.
And its much easier to mod a R6 header than to mod your original header.
Thats what i think ananway.

richierich781

You could do that.
BUT.. then you have destroyed your original system and that is not cheap to buy.
well your right, i didnt think of it that way. i guess same goes for the guys doing the stock exhaust mod. just have to commit to it.

MikeN02

You could do that.
He makes a good point but the other thread where people mod their stock headers they take the chrome tip off and weld a straight custom pipe to make it louder... so if anything you can just get a welder and reweld the original header back on.

But that's what I think, maybe someone else could explain more on what is wrong with this idea.

cavcuz05

plus the system i have yields more HP than a two Bros...82 wheel hp

btastarsky

Well, my r6 header just came today. As soon as I can get the viper slip on, the bike and all the parts are gonna go to my local bike shop to get installed. I plan on using the "micro" race can and have it mounted mid-ship, just like stop's. I will post pics when it's done. I may have to wait until my birthday next month to see if my fiance gets me the can. Should be hella loud/mean sounding.

MikeN02

I can't find an 03 - 05 cheap R6 headers on ebay... all I see are 90 - 01/02 or the newer versions

These are all about $200!

btastarsky

You can use a 98-02. Stop used one for his set up. That's what I'm using for mine too. Mine was $48 with shipping. Also, I'm not gonna use the viper slip on. I found another pipe that is cheaper and comes with a baffle (Viper doesn't come with one). It's made by a company called Delkevic. Check "R6 Delkevic" out on youtube. I'm planning on using the "stubby" 35 cm can. It sounds smoother than the viper, too. But both are good deals.

Stoppsladd

Just want to say this.
It seems like the earlier pipe is more suitable for building "midship" style and the later 03-05 is better for traditional style.

Because the earlier pipe has a shorter 2 pipe section than the later.
So if your going for a midship style go with the early pipe, it will save you a lot of work.
Just my 5 cents...

MikeN02

Just want to say this.
It seems like the earlier pipe is more suitable for building "midship" style and the later 03-05 is better for traditional style.

Because the earlier pipe has a shorter 2 pipe section than the later.
So if your going for a midship style go with the early pipe, it will save you a lot of work.
Just my 5 cents...
I think I'm going to go with the traditional standard style. My plant is to mount it on the side replacing the passenger footpeg because I don't ride with anyone.

My main concern is the length of the exhaust, I don't want it too long like the scorpion.
Will the 02's work with what I'm looking for? Shorter style.

Like Yoshi's here, I guess I have to search for R6S

Attachments

Last edited:

rjsantana20

Ok, so what I am guessing from all the posts is this... to change the exhaust I will need:

1. Headers from an older model R6/R6S
2. A slip on but shorter
3. Nixing the Cat Conv(?)
4. Power Commander or Juice Box (or is this the same)
5. Gaskets, bolts, elbow grease...

and voila! Half the price of a full exhaust and hopefully happier... right? Sorry for the questions, this is my first motorcycle and I am not a mechanic but I am not afraid to get "under the hood".

Thanks,
Rob

btastarsky

I believe that you should be able to re-use your old bolts and gaskets. I talked to Two Brothers and they said that the Juicebox would work just fine for our application, since their full system is similar to what we're doing here. No need for a full dyno tune unless you are trying to get every single tenth of a horsepower out of the motor.

MikeN02

Ok, so what I am guessing from all the posts is this... to change the exhaust I will need:

1. Headers from an older model R6/R6S
2. A slip on but shorter
3. Nixing the Cat Conv(?)
4. Power Commander or Juice Box (or is this the same)
5. Gaskets, bolts, elbow grease...

and voila! Half the price of a full exhaust and hopefully happier... right? Sorry for the questions, this is my first motorcycle and I am not a mechanic but I am not afraid to get "under the hood".

Thanks,
Rob
I'm new to motorcycling too so I'd be happy to help etc.

The headers is from the R6 is basically the whole exhaust pipe so you're getting rid of the stock FZ6-R pipe that has the cat on it.

You don't have to get a "short" slip on, depending on what your style is you can have it long or short. Midship or traditional etc.

When you get the Power commander, you must do a Dyno tune or else you'll make the fuel run too rich/lean and flood the system with fuel. I haven't heard anyone try the juice box method yet where you just plug it in and it automatically does it for you