My new project

Bert-Aus

WOW! Thanks for this! Great write up and info for the dealer/parts.
Repped this!!

I am interested in the 1/2 fairing version of the XJ. (the one that makes it look more like the US FZ1)
I pulled all of the part numbers from the XJ6N parts manual that's on the forum before I ordered. If someone has the XJ6 Diversion F parts manual he can definitely get you the parts. Everything is factory Yamaha parts to so they fit perfectly.
I believe MNGreg is chasing the XJ6S parts, as the XJ6F is an identical fairing to the FZ6R -sorry for being Mr perdantic pants:p

The online parts catalogue for this ride can be found yamaha-xj6-sa-2010-parts-catalogue, I have used this as a reference a number of times
(understandably it is a South African reference, but I trust in the cost saving measures of manufacturers to keep things consistent)

The (pdf) pages for the mid-fairings are 39 and 61-63

Ride92

What about the headlight and the gauges? Did those just get reused from the fz6r? Or did you have to order those as well? I love the xj6 and wish they would just release it in the states already. This might be a good second option. What was the total this cost you with shipping and everything?

trackfiend

Ride92-Sorry for the delay in responding as I haven't been on much lately. The headlight and gauges are the original FZ6R parts, just mounted with the XJ brackets. I'll have total up what i have spent for everything with shipping. I know it's less than replacing the FZ plastics though. I'll try to get that total for you soon.

trackfiend

Ride92-I have added up all of the parts I have purchased so far with the exception of a few bolts I picked up from the local dealer and I have $276.53 wrapped up in the parts from overseas including shipping. I figure that's quite a bit less than the original fairings. The only two expensive parts left to buy are the two headlight trim pieces and they run about $90 a side. Which I thought was a bit much considering how big the radiator fairings are and they were only $62 each. Anyway I'll probably be ordering those soon unless a deal comes through on a BMW R1100S Lightweight that I've been looking at. Used to ride one a few years ago and that bike was awesome! If not though I'll keep going on the XJ-6N conversion and ride it as much as I can.

trackfiend

Okay guys I would like some objective input on paint choices. I'm trying to decide between a bright white and paint the silver radiator fairings also or to do the whole bike in either a matte gunmetal or gloss gunmetal? Need to decide soon so I can get the paint and prep everything before the weather turns really crappy as I will be shooting this in my garage. The picture attached is for reference to the fairing piece.

Attachments

BoneJj

Find a picture of a flat black R1.... now close your eyes and imagine the FZ in flat gunmetal.... now order paint.

How hard was that?? ;)
And cleaning becomes a nightmare. Go gloss or expect to spends lots of time cleaning.

hellboy7

I don't think the matte finish would be hard to keep clean. Actually I think it would probably be the easiest to keep clean. A quick wipe down and I think you'd be good to go.

Brock Kickass

I don't think the matte finish would be hard to keep clean. Actually I think it would probably be the easiest to keep clean. A quick wipe down and I think you'd be good to go.

Unfortunately this is completely incorrect. I ride a satin black FZ1-N. MY BIKE IS ALWAYS DIRTY! It looks beautiful when it's clean but the finish shows everything. It feels like looking at it leaves frigging eye prints on the tank! I am super-picky about keeping my bike clean and it is a nightmare. I love how the bike looks and get compliments everywhere I go but it is really really hard to keep my bike as clean as I like it. It pretty much needs a wash every 2 or 3 days. Even if it just sits in my garage the dust from it sitting shows after a couple days, and because the satin finish shows so much you never want to dry wipe dust or dirt off because you're paranoid about scratching. I'm not trying to talk you out of it; it is an amazing effect compared to a run of the mill paint job. Just don't think for a second it will be easy to keep clean.

Attachments

Last edited:

hellboy7

Unfortunately this is completely incorrect. I ride a satin black FZ1-N. MY BIKE IS ALWAYS DIRTY! It looks beautiful when it's clean but the finish shows everything. It feels like looking at it leaves frigging eye prints on the tank! I am super-picky about keeping my bike clean and it is a nightmare. I love how the bike looks and get compliments everywhere I go but it is really really hard to keep my bike as clean as I like it. It pretty much needs a wash every 2 or 3 days. Even if it just sits in my garage the dust from it sitting shows after a couple days, and because the satin finish shows so much you never want to dry wipe dust or dirt off because you're paranoid about scratching. I'm not trying to talk you out of it; it is an amazing effect compared to a run of the mill paint job. Just don't think for a second it will be easy to keep clean.
Sorry to hear it's so much work...I really was hoping it wouldn't be so rough but I guess you gotta make some sacrifices.

trackfiend

Well here's my latest update. On the paint I decided to stay with the pearl white the bike came in and I am really happy with how she turned out. The only item I have left is the headlight trim. Now comes the biggest dilemma I've really been thinking about selling the FZ6R and getting a FZ-09. Guess I'll decide once I finally ride one. If anyone in the DFW area is interested in an almost complete XJ-6N let me know I might be interested in offers.

Attachments

ksgoh88

Hey trackfiend quick question. I recently did the conversion as well and got my parts from the same dealership that you did. The guy has been amazing.

I ran into a snag with the bottom headlight mount. I've mounted the bracket to the bottom clamp, but it seems to be a quarter inch too far back. Could you take a picture of how yours is mounted to give me an idea of what I'm doing wrong?

Hopefully you still have the bike.

Attachments

Last edited: