My 2012 Yamaha FZ6R shifts hard

Seanmyr

I have a 2012 Yamaha FZ6R and it's my first bike. I've been riding for about 4 years now and never really had much of a problem with it until now.

A couple of months or so ago I noticed that when I would be sitting at a traffic light (or otherwise stopped) and I had the bike in 1st gear and of course had the clutch engaged, the bike still wanted to move forward. I also noticed that it was shifting hard. In other words, when I would go to shift, it would physically jerk the motorcycle a little bit and you could easily hear it shifting in to the gear I was going to. It was also very difficult to get in to neutral. At the time, after talking to some people I adjusted the hand clutch lever using the dial at the clutch lever which seemed to completely fix the problem. But it only lasted for about 3 weeks before it was back to shifting hard again and not being fully disengaged when I would engage the clutch.

At this time, I've adjusted the clutch lever as much as I can with the dial. If I turn the dial anymore, the whole dial comes off. Can anyone give me any ideas on what the real problem might be? Do I need to have a completely new clutch cable? This bike is my main source of transportation to and from work so I really need to have it in good working order. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Everything shared points to cable failure. I would be ordering a new one as this one is likely fraying and about to snap.

Loosen the adjuster completely and disconnect the cable from the perch. Then bend the tab on engines lever side up and disconnect the cable end from the lever.
Pull the cable up topside and feel how it moves. Most failures are either at the top crimp or in the sharp bend at the perch.

You will likely find the cable rough to pull and some fraying. If this is your only transportation get used to clutchless shifting aka rev match to preserve what is left until new cable arrives.