Moving On From FZ6R...

rskinz6r

Well with the wifes permission I have the chance to upgrade to another bike. So I wanna get advice on which supersport is the best bang for buck. Ive looked at a zx6r, r6, gsxr 600. The prices are a little higher on these and hoping to get one below $10,000 new. if not I will look into a good used one so what do u all think?

Reactions: JSP

Bert-Aus

Test ride them all, to see which suits your needs/ desires.. how else?

It took me 6 months of stuffing around trying to decide on my current ride

Kdubb223

2011 gsxr 750. Find one.

nytefal

would it not be like a car dealer? they'd have a demo or some such surely.

Fizzer6R

2011 gsxr 750. Find one.
is the 2011 updated to something special? if not, then prior years will do

I wouldn't call any new 600 supersport best bang for buck if they are $10k. for me i'd go used, and be looking at something else anyway

rskinz6r

i guess what i meant for bang for buck was which one i could possibly get under 10k. I know the gsxr600 is 11500 and the r6 is 11200 i believe. Ive been on the lookout for older models left over (how i got my 09 fz6r) so i can get a really good deal. iv sat on all of them and i think the r6 has the highest seat height. ive googled and you tubed reviews but cant find anything that sways me to one bike.

the other issue i may have is im so used to the 6r's upright position that it would def. ben something to get used to...

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

06330i

My question for you is, what type of riding do you do? If you do a lot of higher speed runs and track days, go for the r6. If you do a lot of street riding, the cbr 600rr or the gsxr is the way to go, if you do a little of both, zx6r. The r6 has horrible low end power (ie makes it harder to ride in the city in stop and go traffic) and has a very aggresive stance. Gsxrs have great ergos and are probably the most comfortable. Cbr's are probably the slowest of the 600's, but the ergos are great on them, mid range is amazing, and cbr's are bulletproof reliable. a lot of people say the cbr is the "easiest" to ride. I just picked up my 2012 zx6r the other day so I can't really chime in how much I like it since I've only ridden it a few times, but i will say it has pretty good low end power and the ergos are tolerable (I do find my wrists being sore after a ride though) Hope this helps.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Detrich

I bought my R6 in back in 2011 for $8k cash from a private party sale off Craig's list. So, I am the second owner. But, she had like only 70-80 miles when I took her off the seller's hands... To put things in perspective, dealers at the time wanted $11.3k otd for a new 2011 and $9700 otd for a new 2010... So, I think i got a very good deal for that point in time...

That said, I absolutely love the R6. It's super light, extremely precise, and does exactly what u tell it to. It does take a few months to get used to the riding position. But, u "will" get used to it, and once u do- a whole new world opens up. All its power is over 8k rpm, so it's super tame for street riding and very manageable. When u rev it up past 10k+ rpm it screams with power and just makes u smile ear-to-ear. And, it's a very forgiving bike too... Enter a corner a little bit too hot, u just calm the throttle flick your thighs, steer, and it goes where u tell it... *** It is simply a bike that u initially have a crush on for its sexy looks, but then fall hopelessly in love with for how it handles & performs. It won't initially say "hello" to u when u sit on it at the dealer or even wink at u during a test ride. But, once u go on a few dates with her, you are hopelessly addicted...

Definitely take a long hard look at the R6, and look for some good deals on craigs list. Definitely test ride as many bikes as u can and make an informed decision. But, the R6 will not disappoint you. :)

Last edited:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

bmw675

I'd go wit Triumpd StreetTple. It has ss engine and handling yet all day riding position
I like that suggestion if you aren't looking for a true SS. I'm actually lcurrently ooking for a used one myself.

RoadTrip

All of the Japanese 600SS's are very similar, however the GSXR600 is very easy to ride, the R6 more demanding, and the ZX6R and CBR somewhere in between. Supposedly the new 2013 ZX6R (636) is tuned for the streets vs the previous one that is much sharper and track oriented.

You missed the 0% sale on the gixxer, but Kawi is trying hard to move those new ZX6R's with 0% and $500 off, that is the bike I would get if I were in your position. It has ABS and traction control, add in a tractable 600 motor and you are talking about a lot of safety nets. I love it in green.

The gixxer is a fantastic bike as well, very comfy (when my back is not fussing), and great fueling from top to bottom.

I believe a 600SS is the quintessential sport bike, and can be used for light touring and even dirt roads, in the end it's just a motorcycle with a very sporty bias. People seem to have strong attitudes about SS's, but its just a motorcycle with lower handlebars, the smooth FI on a modern 600SS makes them a easy to ride, I think all the fuss relates to earlier bikes that used to have light switch power response. Disclaimer: this advice is intended for someone who has put in the 'training' miles on a less powerful bike, though.

Last edited:

SurfJunkie

Me personally ? Id go CBR all day long.
The honda ergo's are SUPER comfy for me. Ive got a longer torso and shorter inseam. I can flatfoot the 6R with the seat in the high position though.

I rode my buddies GSXR600 and that also wasn't for me.

R6/1 and ZXanything i was much too layed out. My sales buddy at yamaha has a new R1 that he put the woodcraft adjustable clip ons and rearsets on, and its wayyy better than stock. ( checked everything out at the dealer. i have one a block from my work that carries all makes/models. )

I concur with what everyone has already said. Go to a dealer and sit on all of them. which is most comfy ?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member