Moto GP lovers!!

husker525

I was watching some older MotoGP 125 races this week on tv, and I saw something that posed an interesting question.

Admittedly, I do not know all the correct form for performance and high speed track riding, so excuse my ignorance in asking. I am just trying to learn as much as possible about the sport.

At the end of long straightaways, and the entrance to a left hand corner, I saw many, not all, of the riders, take their left foot completely off the peg, and extend their foot out. It was almost like they were using their foot to point at something in the track, but they did it at different spots in the track. They were not putting their foot down like you would do in motocross applications.

Are they simply stretching their leg because the bike is uncomfortable? Are they pointing out something they don't like on the track, to riders following them? Are they letting other riders know they can pass? Anyone ever seen this? They all put the feet back on the pegs when actually cornering.

Thanks for your input.

Reactions: JSP

JSP

Super Moderator
Left foot is shifter...

Either way... Rossi claims to be the first to start doing it. Something to do with weight transfer, breaks... Lots of people still speculate why.

I'm not sure why they do it, but Rossi is known for doing that! He does it every race! From all the races I have seen, not many people do it! Who knows, maybe it is just a habit they got into! Good question though, I have wondered the same thing!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

husker525

Thanks to all who replied. You shall all be granted an additional Rep point by me, for whatever that gains you...LOL

And I thought to myself, "How nice, what a comraderie, they are pointing out sand or debris on the track to their fellow riders for safety".....Oooops, epic failure on my part.

I know that in mx racing, I have used that technique to faster riders to let them know which line to take around me, so they don't have to 2nd guess my line choice. Fortunately, I have not had to do that much in the past few years.

husker525

Left foot is shifter...

Either way... Rossi claims to be the first to start doing it. Something to do with weight transfer, breaks... Lots of people still speculate why.

Breaks: a fracture, or separation or disjuncture.
Brake: a device used to slow momentum

Just giving you a hard time, no disrespect intended. You give a lot of good information on this site, someone needed to keep you in line....LOL :D

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Speaking of MotoGP, did anybody watch last years season!? Lorenzo was unstoppable! I don't think Rossi would have won it, even if he hadn't of broken his leg!

JSP

Super Moderator
Breaks: a fracture, or separation or disjuncture.
Brake: a device used to slow momentum

Just giving you a hard time, no disrespect intended. You give a lot of good information on this site, someone needed to keep you in line....LOL :D

You BASTARD!!! :D No worries.. I actually replied to another thread and caught myself doing it again haha. Thanks :thumbup:

husker525

You BASTARD!!! :D No worries.. I actually replied to another thread and caught myself doing it again haha. Thanks :thumbup:
\
You are braking my balls......hahahahahaha.

JonKerr

Elite Member

bjs045

I'm just speculating but those videos I posted here "Ride like Rossi" comments he took some techniques from supermoto guys. The leg out, although serves a different function, probably evolved from his experimenting from it.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's a bit of everything. Weight transfer, drag for slowing down quicker and posing a wider body to force over-takers to go wider or prevent the pass altogether.

FZJ

Well my neighbor follows MotoGp and he read that it was a fine adjustment. Something you and I will never use. Then again it could just be another theory so we may never know.

Funkmaxtor

You guess have me curious. Next time I come into a turn fast I'm throwing that leg out there to see if I feel a difference. Not that I could really tell but I just have to do it now.

husker525

"The author of this post assumes no responsibility or liability for any actions described or discussed in this post. The author does not recommend attempting such actions unless done so by a trained professional on a closed course." LOL

So, Yamaha Fiat team no longer has Rossi! Apparently he is on the Ducati team and for Fiat it is going to be Lorenzo and Spies! I'm anxious to see Rossi and Lorenzo duke it out on different teams now!

JonKerr

Elite Member

itr714

Ha ha...additional wind resistance to slow them down cos their brakes can't cope with their speed anymore. Just guessing.

Demond

oh, reminds me of one other reason... one article mentioned making themselves wider to prevent passing (or to force the passer to a wider/narrower line)....

all just theories though...
I heard that it was to help with braking, but I've seen a rider fail to pass because he would have took the other guy's leg off!