Mother ******!

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Rookasaki

That sux Rook. I had a similar situation a few years ago. On my Kawi 500EX I had just put a new tire on the rear and was headed out of town on a four lane divided highway and saw that traffic in the right lane I was in was slowed/stopped, so I signaled a lane change and had to squeeze in between a car and a pickup towing a boat with the boat being behind me.

Well right after I changed to that lane, the car in front of me slammed on its brakes because that lane decided it wanted to slow to a crawl too. So being on a motorcycle, I had no trouble braking at the same rate as the car in front of me. I knew the truck behind me wouldn't be able to brake as hard so I let the distance between me and the car in front of me close as much as I could, but the truck still rear ended me. I kept the bike on two wheels and pulled over to A) change my shorts after nearly getting run over by a truck and trailer, B) see what damage their was, and C) chew out the guy who rear ended me.

The guy who hit me stopped too and didn't take off once traffic got moving again, and after asking me if I was okay, he proceeded to chew me out. He said I cut him off (it was a bit of a tight squeeze like I said, but I'm on a bike so don't need much room and I signaled before I changed lanes) and slammed on my brakes. Well of course I hit my brakes. Otherwise I would have hit the car in front of me! He asked if I wanted to get the cops involved, but warned me it would be his and his wife's word against mine. Since I'd had a beer a while before heading out (I wasn't over the legal limit or even close, but I'm sure it was on my breath) and the only damage was to my brand new tire (see I did have a point in all this), I figured it wouldn't be worth my time to wait for the cops and get into a pissing match in court. I told him, "Aw, fu** it. I'm outta here."

The tire was shredded down to the cords, but it was holding air, so I rode to the next exit, pulled off and checked to make sure everything was still okay, and went on my way. It wouldn't have pissed me off so much if it wasn't a brand new tire.
wow crazy... It could of been way worse! Thanks for sharing man. You have a pic of the tire laying around?

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

MustGoFaster

That sucks man, I'm glad you didn't ker-blammo tho. :(

DakinechicK

As far as the license plate being bent..... Ahhh yes, been there. Glad it wasn't worse for ye old tire even though it is a bust right now keeping you from riding. Sad.

I caught air a few times..
You caught air?!?! OMG how totally rad that must have been! You're like SUCH a bada$$!! Can I like, totally like have like a picture with like you?! :D

6R Blackout

My preload (6) thinking of going all out to 7!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

danieljardim

Plug it and don't go WOT until you get it replaced. It will be safe at posted speeds. At least it will keep you up on two until you can buy a new shoe. Sucks especially when the tire is THAT NEW! Sorry man!
I would try to find a shop to get a patch from inside. Plugs sometimes can come apart. Patches are a lot better.

danieljardim

If you go out and ride "Hard" make sure you adjust your rear spring to the appropriate level cause if not, this will happen...

I went out and hit it hard today. (I will post VID in a bit) Apparently when catching a little "air" I bottomed out my rear spring causing my license plate to smack my rear tire putting a nice hole in my tire... I only had 600 miles on my tire and now it has a slow leak, FML!!! I won't be riding anytime soon as I just paid up my @ss for college classes, plus My truck and Bike reg is due... So no videos by theRook for a few months :( On a side note look at the edge of my tire! I was killing those corners! Chicken strips? I THINK NOT!!!!!!!!
Being a heavy guym that's why I'm keeping my factory fender on the bike for now.

fltdriver

Sorry to hear about your situation, glad you are not :zombie:.

A guy I work with recently got a nail in a newer tire on his R6 and had it plugged, it was leaking again within a few days. I would feel safer plugging the hole and then having a patch put on as well. The plug would help the tire maintain it's form (ripping or tearing as you take turns like you do) and the patch would keep it from leaking.

just my :2cents:

on a side note, why don't we have a :2cents: smiley?

JSP

Super Moderator
Another issue, since there is a puncture, can moisture now get in there and start to corrode/rust the chords? Does a plug/patch combo stop that? Either way it should be a temp fix IMO. I'd replace it. Especially as hard as you ride.

Rookasaki

Another issue, since there is a puncture, can moisture now get in there and start to corrode/rust the chords? Does a plug/patch combo stop that? Either way it should be a temp fix IMO. I'd replace it. Especially as hard as you ride.
Going to get it patched until I can get a new tire. I will only be commuting from now on, no more riding hard until I get a new tire! I don't want to take the risk!

Spunky99

One of the first things I did was get the proper Race Tech springs installed front and rear and then got the sag adjusted for the track. Since I ride hard, and my commute is less than 10 minutes a track setup worked fine.

You might think about a proper setup on the bike as it will be a lot safer and fun.

Chevyfazer

Really the only way moisture can get in a tire with any air in it is through the air that is filling it up, humidity causing moisture in the air compressor. Another benefit of tire being filled with nitrogen. Or if it's completely flat, 0 pressure water might be able to find its way in, but as long as there is a little air in it, it would be fine from that.

Chucker

One of the first things I did was get the proper Race Tech springs installed front and rear and then got the sag adjusted for the track. Since I ride hard, and my commute is less than 10 minutes a track setup worked fine.

You might think about a proper setup on the bike as it will be a lot safer and fun.

That's spot on! My rear was set at 6 before I upgraded my springs and I found the ride extremely harsh, and I'm 195 LB. There were more than a few times I got home and my rear pegs had popped down from hitting a sharp bump. Now, with a 19.6 kg/mm Eibach spring (stock is 17.6), I have it set at 4 and I've got 25mm of sag. The ride is so much nicer, yet it handles way better.

DragonBlu

Really the only way moisture can get in a tire with any air in it is through the air that is filling it up, humidity causing moisture in the air compressor. Another benefit of tire being filled with nitrogen. Or if it's completely flat, 0 pressure water might be able to find its way in, but as long as there is a little air in it, it would be fine from that.
Actually if it is patched on the inside moisture can still get in through the puncture into the plies of the tire. This will in time rot or rust depending on what the cords are made of the cords of the tire. No plug or goo will seal a puncture 100% to stop moisture from entering a puncture hole. I am talking about the plies of the tire now and not moisture entering the actual tire. A bike tire where I run over 100 sometimes and my life depends on tires holding up,I simply will not patch or plug no matter how new they are. Maybe on a scooter.:)

Chevyfazer

I didn't think about that, but I have always used a good bit of the rubber cement to help seal the hole and I imagine that would help but with nothing I imagine it could get in a bit. For what's its worth though if I was going to pull a moto tire off to put a patch on the inside, I'd just leave it off until I could get another tire, but I do my own tires and balancing so that's just me being lazy not wanting to pull it twice. I have used plugs in a emergency situation on a moto tire though.

bleedinblue

Elite Member