MOPED/Scooter opinions

JSP

Super Moderator
Ruckus has a huge following and apparently awesome little guys. Everyone loves them. I would go that route. Tons of mod stuff out there too for them.

JSP

Super Moderator
I'd rock this bitch! :)

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

lukeb817

Seems like a 50cc might be a bit small for someone that big? The Ruckus is cool and super modifiable, but I'm a big fan of the Honda PCX...cool looking and far more practical than a Ruck for actual transportation, IMO. The '11/'12 model was 125cc, and the new '13 is 150cc...you should be able to get a pretty good deal on the older 125cc models that might be sitting on a dealer's showroom floor.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Fenixgoon

A scooter? :spank:

Why do you want a scooter?
haha this is my thought. just rock a ninja250 or something like that. they get awesome gas mileage, and you have the ability to go places (e.g. highways) where mopeds are illegal.

i hate seeing mopeds on the shoulders of the busy streets where i travel to work (3-4 lanes, 45-60mph)

JSP

Super Moderator
There may be license issues here which is why they may be limited to that small CC.

He asked not to hear the scooter bashing, lets stick with that please. :thumbup:

Brock Kickass

Scooter mod community is huge. You can do a lot of cool stuff. Are you in the city? If I was riding every day in the city I'd have a good look at a scooter and mod it until you couldn't tell what it began life as. My FZ1 is surprisingly good in urban riding (especially the naked version) but that much weight and horsepower is not necessary, a total waste of fuel.

As far as scooters holding up traffic, that is an operator issue. People who bash scooters are often being narrow minded or maybe a little insecure? Every machine has a use. Sometimes it's easy to latch on to a stereotype and have a laugh (hands up if you've never, ever made a cruiser joke) but scooters are practical, and can be a lot of fun. I wouldn't be ashamed to burn one around.

I would have reservations about owning a scooter as my only 2-wheeler. It's not versatile enough. However, I would supplement bike ownership with a scooter sooner than a CBR125 or something. That's just a (insert sport bike name here) lite. It's like what you already have but not as fun. A scooter is a completely different scene. You will rarely find yourself wanting your bike when you're on your scooter or vice-versa.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

DragonBlu

My advice, same as Mr.T,,,stay away from anything made in China. I have worked on many scooters and Honda would be my first choice.

BoneJj

Scooter mod community is huge. You can do a lot of cool stuff. Are you in the city? If I was riding every day in the city I'd have a good look at a scooter and mod it until you couldn't tell what it began life as. My FZ1 is surprisingly good in urban riding (especially the naked version) but that much weight and horsepower is not necessary, a total waste of fuel.

As far as scooters holding up traffic, that is an operator issue. People who bash scooters are often being narrow minded or maybe a little insecure? Every machine has a use. Sometimes it's easy to latch on to a stereotype and have a laugh (hands up if you've never, ever made a cruiser joke) but scooters are practical, and can be a lot of fun. I wouldn't be ashamed to burn one around.

I would have reservations about owning a scooter as my only 2-wheeler. It's not versatile enough. However, I would supplement bike ownership with a scooter sooner than a CBR125 or something. That's just a (insert sport bike name here) lite. It's like what you already have but not as fun. A scooter is a completely different scene. You will rarely find yourself wanting your bike when you're on your scooter or vice-versa.
My only problem with them is the people that buy them and think they can take them on roads that are 65mph rated.... Like the road to the college I go to.... There are a couple scooters that take that road which they can't even get up past 45mph because the riders are too big to have such a small motor move them any faster. They really make for a dangerous situation. And I and the administrators at the campus have asked these people to use the other entrance to the campus that is on much slower roads, they still choose to use the more dangerous road....

other than that really big annoyance I like scooters, I think they have their place on particular roads and should be utilized regularly but the key is using the tool in the right environment for the right job.

That being said. I've kind of wanted to get a ruckus just to screw around with and tool around the neighborhood on. They can be rather fun, I helped a friend do a few mods to his a while back. We swapped it out for a modded 150 that was out to just under 200cc and had a heck of a lot more power. That thing would actually get up to about 70 with his little butt on it.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

yfz6r

I drive a china scooter. Paid $625 brand new on ebay. Arrived in great condition but I had to saw off a metal part under the seat so the seat would close.

Have driven it over 1000 miles now and spent less than $50 in repair parts (only repairs needed was kickstarter gear assembly). and a battery. The current battery is now 2 years old and still starts like a champ.

I'd go with a 50cc. They are so easy-going, light, and get over 80mpg

Another nice thing is if your pistons go out, bore kits are about $70 so you get a fresh, bigger motor.

However, if you don't like tinkering and maintaining, go with a more expensive Yamaha Zuma or Honda.

Zuma's are the sexiest scooters out there IMO

Last edited:

Brock Kickass

China stuff is coming along. There is a load of crap out there, but some stuff coming from China is getting decent. Make no mistake, if you need Yamaha quality the best Chinese stuff will not do, but if you are a casual user and you shop carefully you can get a decent machine for a decent price.