Missing FZ6-R Rant

MikeN02

So it's been a year and 3 months now that I've been riding. I'm young (turning 20 end of feb) and got the FZ6-R as my second bike after the EX-500 ready to upgrade to something more. I never knew anything about motorcycles but then I decided to take the class and my passion for motorcycles was endless. I rode everyday I could unless there was a hurricane out (being FL and all) and didn't think I'd ever give it up.
A lot of people complain about the position of the super sports and I didn't think it would be a problem for me since I can use the being young + passion for motorcycles excuse again. I traded my FZ6-R in for an R6 and from time to time I kind of miss the FZ6-R.

The main thing I miss is how comfortable the bike is with the upright riding position. Seriously, it kind of sucks now since I ride daily to work. I sit closer to the tank to try to get more comfortable but it's still at a lean. The clip-on handles and the way the pegs are mounted make it uncomfortable. I'm only at a full aggressive tuck in when I'm riding in the cold or there are bugs out. The FZ6-R's 40+ MPG was great as well, for my R6 I get about 34 MPG which is comparable to the newer fuel efficient cars out there.

All in all, just a reinforcer that the FZ6-R is a great bike. I still love my R6 but she's one aggressive beast to handle.

Vigga

Thanks for the post. I'm deciding either a faz6r or r6 as well. Kinda leaning towards a fz6r because of the ergo, but it's really hard finding any for sale for the right price.

Detrich

Thanks for the nice write up Mike. Now u seriously made me want to keep the 6R a while longer. ^_^ Plus, I always seem to get sentimentally attached to my toys- like my guitars, cars etc... Its quite pathetic actually... lol what to do what to do...

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Stephenfz6r

It would be hard to find a bike that does things as equally all around as An FZ6R. This bike balances all the important issues without any major compromises.:thumbup:

Last edited:

DragonBlu

An old power hungry dreamer like me would love to have an R1,but at my age and with a well used body it would be pure hell to ride very far. I'm all about relaxing and having fun on a bike now instead of rocketing by the next guy. The FZ6R fits me just fine. It's all about application.

FZ6R-Billy

You should all look at an FZ1. Sits and rides like a 6R only better. I just traded and love my FZ1. Costs less than r6.

Billy

JonKerr

Elite Member

Sage

Mike, it doesn't help that the R6 is, by most peoples opinions I've talked to, the most uncomfortable supersport on the market. 600 or 1000 alike. If I were looking into a supersport I'd be looking into the CBR600rr. I've sat on a few and they're surprisingly comfortable. I've talked to a few people online who've made a switch from R6 to CBR600 and there's no comparison.
I'd have to disagree, my buddie's GSXR-600 feels like its gunna rip my spine out compared to an R6. I agree that the new CBR has a great position for an SS and is very comfy.:)

Detrich

The BMW s1000rr trumps the r6, CBR, and gsxr for sitting comfort imo... But u can also almost buy 2 r6's for the price. xP

Sage

The BMW s1000rr trumps the r6, CBR, and gsxr for sitting comfort imo... But u can also almost buy 2 r6's for the price. xP
Agreed, even with my girth and and not fitting on most regular Sportsbikes comfortably, the S1000RR is amazing in comfort over almost anything.

iSpoolin

To me an R6 is just as comfortable as the FZ6R, but thats just form sitting on them, not riding LOL

MikeN02

Mike, it doesn't help that the R6 is, by most peoples opinions I've talked to, the most uncomfortable supersport on the market. 600 or 1000 alike. If I were looking into a supersport I'd be looking into the CBR600rr. I've sat on a few and they're surprisingly comfortable. I've talked to a few people online who've made a switch from R6 to CBR600 and there's no comparison.
True, that's why they have 2 versions of the R6. The R6R "Race Version" and the R6S "Street". Street is more comfortable as the race isn't.

Doesn't help that the R6R is one of the tallest sport bikes either with a whooping 33.5 inch seat height. I can ride the Gixxers stock. I really like the look of the 6 though, and keeping it in the Yamaha family. Not to mention the R6 is probably the best track bike in the 600 class, meanwhile the kawasaki eats it in a straight. My friend has the 09 R1, so if I ever jump to a liter bike I'd probably look for a cbr. I don't think I'd ever upgrade to a liter though, it's just not necessary.

Speaking of the BMW, my friend who isn't really into sport bikes told me the BMW S1000 is beating all the bikes around even the busa etc. Is this true? Not really into european bikes so I wouldn't know.

Detrich

there's been a lotta discussion & articles on the bmw s1000rr.. even Jay Leno's Garage did an absolutely glowing review of the bike.

long story short is, the bmw s1000rr is a liter bike that's designed to feel, weigh, and handle just like a 600cc... but, not only is its power explosive (1st gear goes to 90mph), it's handling is delicately finesse and tame as well... all the shifting, braking is electronically controlled. plus, u can add DSC (traction control) as well as ABS (anti-lock) braking. it has a built-in gravity chip, as well as a ton of other safety controls & intelligence built-in, like different riding modes- all of which can be set to manual over-ridden for hardcore tracking or stunting... technologically, the S1000RR is arguably the most advanced production sport bike on the market right now. and, for all the technology that goes into it, the $15K list price is rumored to be a bargain- for those who are looking at bikes in that price range (R1, Ducatti, Aprilla etc.)

rumors are that the new kawasaki zx-1000r trumps the BMW. but, honestly, i doubt the kawasaki guys can touch the bimmer. if you look at BMW's M badged cars and/ or even sit on the S1000RR you can instantly tell that that thing is in a class of its own. it is so high quality, so high tech, and above all so comfortable. just the levers on it feel wicked. if it were cheaper, then i'd imagine we'd be seeing them everywhere. but, bmw prices their stuff slightly above market to weed out the posers i guess... <lol> xP

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-garage/motorcycles/2010-bmw-s-1000-rr/

http://www.superstreetbike.com/features/1009_sbkp_horsepower_shootout_bmw_s1000rr_vs_world/index.html

Last edited:

miketriebsch

Another thing I really like about the fz6r is the instant power right off the line. You dont get that with other sport bikes.

Bloke

Another thing I really like about the fz6r is the instant power right off the line. You dont get that with other sport bikes.
This is sarcasm right? The fz6r engine is one of the most friendliest bikes off of the line. It is also at 80ish bhp, one of if not the lowest bhp of all the street 600s.

It's an inline4 so doesn't come alive until post 6k.

So unless you consider "revving the tits off it" and working the gear box to optimise your revs... instant power, in comparison to the tractor like pull of a v-twin you've got to be kidding.

Don't get me wrong the fz6r is a top bike I absolutely love my euro version of it but lets not go fooling ourselves that it'll beat SS levels of performance at stock.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Bartholomew

My wife got her FZ6R about a month ago. I have put about 30 miles on it myself (she doesn't let me ride it much!). My bike is a 2007 FZ6. The FZ6R's seat is soooo much more comfortable than my FZ6!!! I love my FZ6, but I have to admit that she will last a lot longer in the saddle than I will when we go on a trip. :mad:

iSpoolin

I'd have to disagree, my buddie's GSXR-600 feels like its gunna rip my spine out compared to an R6. I agree that the new CBR has a great position for an SS and is very comfy.:)
Yall both need to sit on a Daytona :eek: