Messed up BIG TIME !!

W

whatever

i tried to loosen one side of the tiple tree and the forks dropped 2 1/2 inches.

i was thinking that one side would hold up if i did each side sperate.

but i guess not..... wonder if i could still ride the bike like that..... back to the dealer.

should left well enough alone i guess... but im always trying to fix thinks myself if i can.

have no beams in my garage and did not want to buy a hoist anyways.

guess my 2 options are now to drive it to the dealer or buy a front stand. the forks are hitting the handlebars now. but i did retighen everything to specs

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
W

whatever

dart... i loosen the triple tree bolts and the fork tubes slid up about 2 inches or more.... there's place near me that sells pit bull stands i may just buy one and be done with it.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
^^ yup. This or just lower the other side as well so its at least able to ride. I've seen on the R6 forum where they have the forks like 3 inches out!!!

Your options are to either use a floor type jack to lift the bike up from the middle and loosen the clamps so they will slide back down. A front stand wont work I believe because it holds it by the forks. You need something to support the bike itself, not the forks.

Or get someone (or two) to hold the bike up by the handle bars and loosen them again to get it right.

Or take it to the shop after dropping the other side.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
I think the front stand he is looking for has the pin to set inside the steering stem thus not touching the forks. A couple strong friends can heft the front of the bike so you can reset the tubes correctly.

As you now know, you *need* either a hoist or stem-stand to properly do this job on your own. ;)

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
W

whatever

thanks for all the replys.... kind of stressed/freaked me out so i just walked away from it for now.

tomorow there's a shop close by may just bring there or shop around and pick up a triple tree front stand,,,, i was planning on buying one anyway but not so soon.

i was planning i taking a ride today to see how centering the steering worked out from yesterday and then this happen.

boy that's one thing you only do once that's for sure..... i should of know better with all the weight from the motor and stuff.

i was thinking if i just loosen one side at a time would not move that much boy was i wrong.

tomorow a new day play with it then.

W

whatever

yes when it happen i did lossen the right side so the distance is the same.... i guess it's ok to drive to a shop if i don't buy a stand.

just walked out in my garage and noitced .... if i look down at the handlebars seating on the bike the top of the handlebar on the left side crosses at the fork cap at 1/4 and i can see 3/4 not covered and on the right side the top of the bar is at 1/2 way expoised.

JSP

Super Moderator
W

whatever

when my one fork slid down and hit the bottom of the handlebars.... do you think that could of bend them ?

hope not !

W

whatever

fixed the forks today.... there's a shop near my house that goes to the road races and sells parts to racer..... so i knew that might have a triple tree stand in stock.

that had a woodcraft triple tree stand for 166.95 as nice as a pit bull if not nicer.... easier do use and very strong..... they gave me the racer price of 149.95 so i thought that was ok

so the forks are back to where they belong.... but i had one problem when i was removing the front wheel to grease the axle i did not remove the calipers so the right side brake pads fell out.

i tried for 1 1/2 hrs and i cannot get the pads back in the calipers there must me a trick i gave up.

so there is a bike shop couple blocks from my house so i just replaced both caliper but left the pads out of the ride side and thinking about just riding over to the bike shop to have them installed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
W

whatever

the ears on pads are always in the way.... i have the piston push in all the way.

there is a movement im missing just can't see it... tried for 1 1/2 hrs no luck.

sometimes i can get the back one on but when i go to do the front they both fall out.....

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member