Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Last edited:

Bert-Aus

That whole PEMDA's approach wasn't taught when I was at school (in Aus BTW) and to my mind, that is what is catching out those who were taught that method.
My understanding of mathematics (not the best around for sure) is simply left to right reading,
which the PEMDA approach is seems to go about it differently.

Either way it is interesting to see how different we can all interpret a simple equation,
which I don't intend to draw lines in the sand about and begin to start throwing babies out with the bath water;)

bleedinblue

Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Maybe, but it is not written that way, therefore that is not the equation
and there is no parenthesis present, which means it doesn't get treated like it has them
I agree. Showed it to my wife who is pretty smart, she deduced the same thing, no parenthesis follow the flow, it seems that omitting the parenthesis makes the equation somewhat an incomplete trick equation.
It just seem to me in my limited knowledge of coding (40*0) +40 +1 is correct way to express it.
Silly math geniuses confuse me sometimes.
I am with you Bet-Aus, was not taught that in class, but Microsoft Excel teaches us things.

Botty12

Maybe, but it is not written that way, therefore that is not the equation
and there is no parenthesis present, which means it doesn't get treated like it has them
PEDMAS is meant to be used deductively.

Are there parentheses? No? Go onto Exponents. Have any exponents to solve? No? Go onto division. Any division? No? Go onto multiplication. Oh look, there's multiplication. Do it first. Then move onto addition. Is there addition? Yes? Do that next. Any subtraction? Yes? Do that now.

It doesn't matter if there's parentheses or not. Follow the order of operations.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Sneakynuts

It still wasnt taught that way when I went to school a few years back in the UK

I am with Bert on this one....

Or maybe I had the day off from school when they did teach it!

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

bmw675

(in Aus BTW)
Well that could be the difference. I won't hold your origins nation against you. It may be taught wrong over there, but you do have kickass kangaroos. ;)

And I'm gonna have to pull my bachelors degree in economics and finance on this one.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

abyss1406

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

i would never have though this topic would generate so many responses and opinions. i thought i was reading 87 vs 91 for a second there :)