Marthy's Airbox mod

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Ride&Die

Air box mod

So i broke down and done it, i mod the air box. I drilled 1.5 holes in her, put her all together and started her up. Started fine idle good lets give the throttle a twist. And man the rpm flew all the way to red line wouldnt stop. I freaked out shut it off started it back up and again went to red line @ this point im like wtf. Shut it off again think n to myself why did i even do it. With the engine off twisted the throttle, and started her back up and it seems to be back to norm. Has anyone else encountered this before and what might have caused it?

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member
Reactions: JT

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Ride&Die

Yeah i rolled it to see what it would sound like. And then the revs went to red line and wouldnt return to normal position untill i shut it off and then i twisted the throttle once more to see if their was any problem with the throttle cable everything seemed to be fine. I hope you guys are right and it was jus the cable. Will keep my eyes on it and cross my fingers thats all it was and thanks for your replies.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Auricom22

Drilled out the box yesterday and no issue with the revs. I like the growl when she's north of 5k. I can't wait to get the exhaust and pcv done after this season is out.

ST3RL0

Hey Marthy, what did you use to adhere the stacks into the airbox? I'm thinking of using locktite red but not sure if it'll eat through the rubber sleeve.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

ST3RL0

I cut off the stock stack and push the aluminum stack inside as far as I could, close to the TB to improve airflow. I think I had to oversize the holes in the airbox a bit since the rubber stack expand when you push the other ones inside. Then regular hose clamp hold them in place... Also just as a precaution, I drill a very small hole on the edge of the stack and use some lock wire from the edge of the stack to the hose clamp. Not sure if you need it, but never had issue with it. I was afraid that it slip out over time since I was tithing hose clamp on the taper part a bit.
Cheers Marty

wisey18

Keep us posted. I just bought I set of FZ6 cams off eBay so these would be next on the list if it works out :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ST3RL0

Keep us posted. I just bought I set of FZ6 cams off eBay so these would be next on the list if it works out :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Ok, so I cut the stock ones short and slid the tapered ones in. I have them sitting flush on the bottom and they are quite tall. Will test it tomorrow

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ST3RL0

I did cut them off. Can't remember how much... I thing I kept 1/2" straight and push them in as far as it will go. I had to oversize the 4 holes in the airbox so the stack tapper can expand the rubber and go deeper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Yeah I dremeled mine below the bottom ring (burnt rubber everywhere) and used the smallest amount of oil to slide them in. Going to cut the airbox open and move the stacks similar to stock heights

Dirtyboy333

Hello, new guy here with a white/red 13' 6r. I've been reading a ton on here (b4 membership) and want to thank you guys for all the good info.

I completed the standard airbox mod by placing holes in the bottom. I do not have a power commander or an aftermarket exhaust yet I am just running bone stock performance wise. After completing the quick Modern instantly noticed that the "growl" of the bike was much nicer and more noticeable especially when really gassing it. I also feel that above 7000 RPM it feels like it definitely has some more zip. I realize this could just be because of the sound making me think that it's faster but I really believe it is quicker. On the downside I think that the low-end torque has slightly suffered and mainly that it takes a lot longer for the bike to warm up. I know that until it gets too running temperature if I blipped the throttle it hesitates pretty noticeably but after it warms up she runs great.

The reason I'm writing this is just because I have a quick question for those of you that have been running the airbox mod for a while and also without a power commander.

I have read here and there that making the engine running lean will screw up your valves and basically damage your engine. Then, I've seen the opposite said that it doesn't matter in the least of your engine will be fine. Since I do not have a power commander, what is the consensus here about engine damage from this airbox mod? I bought an extra used airbox so I can put it back to stock configuration if need be. To my door it was only like $28.

Anyway, I just want to make sure I'm not damaging my nice new engine and I'm hoping you guys have some opinions. Once again thanks for all the help and I'm sure I'll be back here throughout the next couple years many times. I'm really debating on getting somebody to install the FZ6 Cams for me.

Sorry about the text and grammar but it's Siri's fault lol

ETA: I forgot to mention that after completing the airbox mod, when I got it in first gear and then quickly shift to second gear pretty much full throttle, the front tire lift off the ground. I don't ever remember that happening before the mod was complete. But then again, it could be just because I'm more confident with the bike now and a little harder on the throttle.

Last edited: