Losing power???

j2dak01

Just went over 15000 on my 09. Did the oil change and replaced the chain less than 500 miles ago. Last couple days it has felt as if the take off power has disappeared. Today, as I was coming into work it almost sounded bogged down through the first three or four gears, when I gave it a little more throttle it seemed to rev more than it should almost like the clutch wasn't entirely engaged. I'm not mechanically inclined in the slightest so before I run to the service center that'll charge me an arm and a leg just to look at it, I'd like an opinion on what this might be. Bad gas...bad clutch...tune up time??? Help please.

JSP

Super Moderator
Just went over 15000 on my 09. Did the oil change and replaced the chain less than 500 miles ago. Last couple days it has felt as if the take off power has disappeared. Today, as I was coming into work it almost sounded bogged down through the first three or four gears, when I gave it a little more throttle it seemed to rev more than it should almost like the clutch wasn't entirely engaged. I'm not mechanically inclined in the slightest so before I run to the service center that'll charge me an arm and a leg just to look at it, I'd like an opinion on what this might be. Bad gas...bad clutch...tune up time??? Help please.
If your bike is revving up but not moving, your clutch is slipping. Make sure your lever adjustment is proper. Have you done a throttle body sync yet as well?

j2dak01

I adjusted the lever but I haven't had a chance to ride to see if it's helped or not. The throttle sync is the next thing on my list to do. I've only notice the rev once and it happened so quick that I'm not sure if it lost all power or not.

JSP

Super Moderator
How long have you had the bike? What oil are you using?

j2dak01

bought it in 09, all 15,000 miles are mine. I use regular oil, not synthetic. Don't know the weight of the top of my head but I let the professionals at the dealer change it.