Insert title Here
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
I'm thinking with the bike running strangely and then dropping the speedo, it must be something with a speed sensor or maybe a wire got snagged and chewed up or something. I'll try to find time this weekend to break the bike down and search.

This happened right after I got my bike back from the shop getting new tires, but I don't want to blame the shop. Hoping just a coincidence.
We can get together some time and compare bikes and see if something is out of place or maybe swap parts if we can narrow down the problem.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member
Yeah Scott I'm almost positive mine has nothing to do with timing... but since I can't find the issue I can't take it off the table. Bike has less than 10,000 miles on it and I didn't have this issue last season...

I'm gonna try to pull codes and change the oil this weekend. At least it's functional and safe for the road (I think) but I'm still :banghead::banghead::banghead:
I understand the last couple of weeks being hectic. My younger brother is graduating high school in a few weeks so thats a lot of fun. :D

Hit me up if you still have my number or post on the FB page and we can arrange a day to tear both bikes apart and compare parts. Im thinking something electrical is loose.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

itsjohn56

Thought of something. Kinda thought it might come to this, but it's a pain in the @$$ to do.... spark plugs. Right before winter I swapped in some iridium plugs. I think I could get to redline before Christmas but I can't be certain.

Damn.... I'm gonna have to swap plugs again. Anyone want Iridiums with under a thousand miles on em????? :D
did it work???????????:confused:

Oh shit sorry. Yup, swapped in some non Iridium plugs and bike works great. Never going back!!
Glad you found the issue.
That said, it really sounded like the fuel pickup strainer is plugged and its starving for fuel. WOT takes the most volume and debris in the tank could be stuck on the filter limiting fuel flow.

Any chance all the times the tank was lifted it rinsed itself clean? Next time you run the tank down low take a flashlight and look inside for rust.

What was the plug gap on the iridium plugs?
Also, could you add some detail about what it really did? Are you saying it was like turning the key off until it got back to 9k and then its comes back to life only to misfire/shutdown again?

Last thing; if you ever need to do a quick FC bypass, just unplug the injector leads from the FC and connect the OEM plug into the injectors and it will run from OEM ECU map assuming all of the connections are good.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member
Good info!
IMO and as you know, one plug can have many applications. That said, they must be gapped to the VEHICLE specifications. As the owner operator its in your best interest to verify all plugs for all applications.

So its simply a matter of using the proper tool for tbe job to not damage the precious metal plugs! Only use round wire gauges for checking gap. The major plug manufacturers have videos on topic.

I have some mods to bike and look at the plugs often so its running std carbon plugs of CR10E. Single strap ground a heat range cooler.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member