Looking for my first jacket.

Hitman

I'm looking to pick up my first new jacket (I'm currently wearing a handmedown leather that makes me look like a reject from the movie Grease), but I'm not sure if I should go Textile or Mesh. I live in Michigan so I'm looking for something I can wear for our entire riding season.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RI6VVQ/"]Joe Rocket Recon - Textile[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RHZDMU/"]Joe Rocket Recon - Mesh[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Rocket-Airborne-Motorcycle-Jacket/dp/B001JIE9HW"]Joe Rocket Airborne -Textile[/ame]

These are the Jackets I'm looking at, I like the hideaway orange vest / reflective stripes for my late night rides home.

Superzoom

Those are nice looking jackets. You could always just get a reflective vest to put over any jacket.

Have you considered getting something with a waterproof lining? I'm a big fan of waterproof jackets, either laminated waterproof layer or removable inner liner. It's probably cheaper and better in the long run to get something that's waterproof than to buy a separate rain jacket.

Spunky99

I'm looking to pick up my first new jacket (I'm currently wearing a handmedown leather that makes me look like a reject from the movie Grease), but I'm not sure if I should go Textile or Mesh. I live in Michigan so I'm looking for something I can wear for our entire riding season.

Joe Rocket Recon - Textile

Joe Rocket Recon - Mesh

Joe Rocket Airborne -Textile

These are the Jackets I'm looking at, I like the hideaway orange vest / reflective stripes for my late night rides home.
I have a reject biker jacket too...Rock on Fonz

Problem is with the retro biker jackets is that there is no armor.

I suspect Michigan doesn't get too hot in the short summer and the variable weather conditions might be on the cool side. A textile jacket would probably be more practical for you. The mesh is designed for the western states like Ca, TX, NM, AZ where the heat gets up into the high 90's and beyond. With a liner and layered clothing the textile could work. You'd freeze your nips in a mesh!

Last edited:

Detrich

what's ur budget like? i think a perforated leather jacket for street riding may offer better protection in the way of body armor (back, elbow etc.) and still provide very good ventilation to keep you cool in summer riding weather...

leather costs slightly more, but if u can find one on-sale- it's worth a second look, imo... also, it's important to remember to regulate your body temperature too when riding... ie, when u get off the bike, unzip (or takeoff) the jacket to stay cool. try to find one that fits very snug & tight- ie so it doesn't move around much in the wind and so th armor stays in place.

Spunky99

Alpinestars NYC Perforated Leather Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough

Alpinestars Stage Perforated Leather Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough

Alpinestars Stunt 2 Leather Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough

I have the NYC jacket. Top notch, works in 55f with liner to 80f with only a tee shirt underneath. If you layer, it probably will go to lower temps.
80f and up, it is OK as long as you are moving. I wear mesh after 80f anyway.
I would guess that all the perforated jackets are similar in temp range.

bjpinub

I bought the Cortech GX Sport Series 2 textile jacket and have not regret that choice. It has a removable quilted liner, so when it is cold out, I have the liner to keep me warm. Plus it has armor in the shoulders and elbows as well as having a padded area down the back. When I was looking for a jacket, I searched the forum. I then started searching the web until I found some items made by Cortech and TourMaster. To be honest, most of my bike purchases have been because of user recommendations, and I have been pleased with the decisions I have made. Everyone seemed to steer me away from mesh, since it could shred easily or melt to the skin if you were to go down and start sliding. I have heard leather and textile are the better choices, when compared to mesh. Every time I have rode my bike, I have wore my Cortech jacket. It is comfortable, zips into my TourMaster riding pants, offers decent protection, almost matches the blue color of my bike, and was fairly affordable ($180 + tax).

Just my two Cu covered Zn coins worth.

2w05thletes

I have the Frank Thomas XTI 1 textile, and the Frank Thomas XTI 2 mesh. Both white and black color scheme. Love them both, textile is just too warm for the summer months here in OK, mesh has been working great thus far. You can get both for pretty reasonable prices and they have armor.

RandiZ

Here's my big suggestion: find a dealer with the largest selection and try them on. No different than a bike. You'll find yours AND your size.

I have still not found my perfect jacket (lots of pockets, fits me, around $200.) However, I'm very happy with the Cortech perforated leather. Just bought the Cortech mesh for when it gets over 90F. I tried on both jackets before I bought them. I take a different size in each even though they are the same brand name.

Almost all of the new name brand jackets that I looked at had both a waterproof liner and a quilted liner for cold weather.

kevcoop

The type of jacket that I have is a IPJ. Its a personal airbag protection jackets for motorcycle riders.

I ride 80 miles round trip to work so I wanted the most protection I could get.
Other than the standard armor in the jacket, it also has a built in air bag system. If I am ever seperated from my bike, it will deploy.

If you want to check it out their at: airbag jacket motorcycle Body Armors safety Motorcycle Safety street riding gear bike

I have owned the jacket for over two years, hince my color choice for my new Yamaha.