Looking for a slip on Exhaust..

rjsantana20

Not sure of the answer to that question but, I have finally installed my exhaust. Here are some pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

MikeN02

And Mike, not having a mid pipe is how a lot of the exhaust systems are going now so you don't have to have this monster can sticking out passed your rear tire. Nice and tight, close crop, just like our stock exhaust, just better. ;)
I know that, but the header's that most people are using are the 99 - 05 headers which require a midpipe. That GYTR pipe fits 06 - 10, so how is it going to fit...? The 06 - 10 also have a cat on them as well.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Roaddawg

Look at what the UPS man brought for me today. :D

;)
I like that carbon one better. It'll blend in good on the raven. If it's too loud, can you put a db tip (or whatever they're called) on or something to quiet it down some? You gonna do a short write up Jon?

JonKerr

Elite Member

rjsantana20

Sorry for not getting back to everyone. So here are some answers to questions:

- I got a 99-02 header.

- Yes, the exhaust fit on the tip. There is a gasket that allows for easy install, fitting and tightening. To tell you the truth I actually like where it pops out. Not to far and not on my ankle when I got my foot down. better than the stock exhaust where I felt the heat.

- No, I did not use the existing mounting hole from the GYTR exhaust. Believe it or not, when it connected to the exhaust tip and the headers were on the engine, the hole thing was solid. I did get an aluminum bracket with existing holes and cut it down to size and used the mounting holes from the exhaust tip to the exhaust mounts on the bike. I didn't see a lot of vibration from the exhaust. I haven't ridden it much since the installation but I do want to use the exhaust's mount eventually.

- Yes, it is loud. Not sure how it compares to the D&D but it is loud. I did take a video but where I recorded was near a highway so not realizing there was a lot of highway noise in the background. I was going to post it up anyway but you really don't get the full effect of the exhaust. It rained this past weekend so I will do it again soon.

- As for the performance, I don't have any official mappings or anything like that but I got to tell you, I felt the difference on the highway. Quicker acceleration, definitely feels much lighter too. I always felt like the bike was choking a bit when trying to accelerate. At the same time, I still have not passed 1000 miles so not sure how it should behave. This is my first bike also, so I am only used senses that I have from owning many cars and such.

Now for the need for tweaking part:

The elbow of the brake will rub the exhaust if you do not bend the pipes wide enough. I will have to go back and widen it a scooch. The mounting hole of the exhaust can rub up the side of the swingarm so you have to watch where you tighten it. Again I have to go back and adjust.

All in all, I love the decision I made by going this route. I was interested in getting the CF one but decided on the SS exhaust. I have not gotten a juice-box or PC yet but it will happen this month. I take long on projects because of time and also I am the one making the mods and want to make sure I have an understanding of what I am doing before I jump in.

Wow, this is long. My apologizes.

Ok so I tried to upload the video but got error. I will figure it out. I uploaded another pic.

Attachments

JonKerr

Elite Member

cavcuz05

FYI that GYTR slipon you got is for a newer r6 and it requires a cat...so basically you are running a straight pipe...that shorty has 0 effect on the sound...i was going to go with but i youtubed older r6's running and it didnt sound terrible...however it does look good...as for mine i plan on cutting my exhaust once i get time so it doesnt look so big...

stevet

How did you get 84.2 rear wheel horse power out of it? What were the improvemnets as you added the aftermarket parts and adjustments?

cavcuz05

I only got 84 once im settled out around 78 hp...only mods ove done are block off plates PCV with custome dyno jet map and a filter upgrade...i was running 91 oct aswell

JonKerr

Elite Member

rjsantana20

rjsantana20- What method did you use for bending the header? I started to try and just flatten the outer pipes by 1/8" like some others have said is all they did and it's just not nearly enough. I need to bend the header down but I'm concerned with not getting all 4 bent the exact same amount and possibly putting strain on some of them.
Basically, I bent from the pipes that connect to the headers. I used a technique used by another member of the site. I placed a steel pipe in each pipe and held down the tail end until I widened it enough.

I have the same problem with no fuel mgmt. I need to get one asap. My 19 month old daughter has grown out of most of her clothes so I have to get her a new wardrobe before the fuel mgmt system. Damn kids :justkidding::D

rjsantana20

FYI that GYTR slipon you got is for a newer r6 and it requires a cat...so basically you are running a straight pipe...that shorty has 0 effect on the sound...i was going to go with but i youtubed older r6's running and it didnt sound terrible...however it does look good...as for mine i plan on cutting my exhaust once i get time so it doesnt look so big...
What is the difference between our setup and the TBR? Isn't that just a straight pipe to exhaust without cat?