Liter bike upgrade?

DarkWing

Just to help you guys out some, the reason a R6 is more expensive insurance wise is because obviously it is a way more popular bike than an R1. People who tend tto buy R1's also are probably going to be more skilled at riding, and a little more mature. I see a lot of younger guys on the R6's compared to an R1. So, based on that, they shoot up the insurance on an R6. Younger more reckless drivers for sure. Ninja is another one, its not nessisarily because of the name ninja (I mean, it kinda is), it's because EVERYONE seems to have one haha. And most of the bad wrecks i've heard of, were on ninja's and all really young guys. So, since it is so popular and much more than even an R6, Insurance goes way up!

Srsly though, whats with everyone wrecking ninjas? I dont get it. haha, is it because people who dont know much about bikes just go for the one with the cool name and look, not knowing the power behind them? All the wrecks have been on like 600 class ninjas haha and it was their first bike for all of them

So glad i got this 6R for my first bike. She's beautiful!! I went on a run with a buddy and he had a 1996 gixxer 750 and my girl kept up just fine without struggling.

Fizzer6R

Just to help you guys out some, the reason a R6 is more expensive insurance wise is because obviously it is a way more popular bike than an R1. People who tend tto buy R1's also are probably going to be more skilled at riding, and a little more mature. I see a lot of younger guys on the R6's compared to an R1. So, based on that, they shoot up the insurance on an R6. Younger more reckless drivers for sure. Ninja is another one, its not nessisarily because of the name ninja (I mean, it kinda is), it's because EVERYONE seems to have one haha. And most of the bad wrecks i've heard of, were on ninja's and all really young guys. So, since it is so popular and much more than even an R6, Insurance goes way up!

Srsly though, whats with everyone wrecking ninjas? I dont get it. haha, is it because people who dont know much about bikes just go for the one with the cool name and look, not knowing the power behind them? All the wrecks have been on like 600 class ninjas haha and it was their first bike for all of them

So glad i got this 6R for my first bike. She's beautiful!! I went on a run with a buddy and he had a 1996 gixxer 750 and my girl kept up just fine without struggling.
because when you get a Ninja, you become one! :rolleyes:

knightmare

FastFreddy

"The Aprillia has non next to useless traction control apparently."

HellGate, you.

All I'm saying is that the Aprilia traction control is highly rated, whereas most other TC systems for bikes aren't as good, some would say "almost useless" for good riders.

If you get offended by this, oh well. Please understand that it was a compliment for the Aprilia and no offense should have been taken.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

FastFreddy

My Spanish lady friend has been mean on purpose for whatever reason to me lately, hassling my nationality and identity. Sorry if I caused any offense lately. Someone hit me and chipped my tooth, its fixed now. I'm not sure why these things happen to me all the time.

For those upgrading bikes, its a tough choice, I hope it goes well.

I want a mini excavator next, so the litre bike has to get in line.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Fenixgoon

there is no replacement for displacement.

it's nice being able to pull from any gear at virtually any speed.

really all depends on what you want from the bike though

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

The Ride Apart article was great. If you look at quarter mile times, the 600 are only about a half second behind liters who have almost twice the motor. From liter bike owners I've talked to, unless you're riding a lot above 100mph or doing mile long wheelies, there's no reason. The ones I know who have tracked their bikes prefer 600. They say you can push the 600 for everything it's got but you need to baby the liter a little bit. Makes sense.

I still wouldn't turn down an R1 if you tossed me the keys. The current one is one of the sexiest bikes I've ever seen!
sorry, sounds like the liter bike owners you've talked to don't know how to ride one (fast), then yes, they should be on a 600 if they enjoy them more to produce quicker lap times. consider most track records are held by litre bikes, the reason is simple - if you can ride one, they're faster.

Brock Kickass

sorry, sounds like the liter bike owners you've talked to don't know how to ride one (fast), then yes, they should be on a 600 if they enjoy them more to produce quicker lap times. consider most track records are held by litre bikes, the reason is simple - if you can ride one, they're faster.

It's not that simple. An R6 is slightly quicker in the 1/4 and around a track than an FZ1. If you want the fastest thing going, buy a big displacement SS. If you want a sporty bike that is comfortable, easy to handle, and can actually be used and enjoyed without flogging the pi$$ out of it buy a 600 Sport Tourer. Litre Sport Tourers fit in between. They are (almost) as quick as a 600SS but can be used like an FZ6R if you choose. I love that I can ride my bike like an R6 without making the sacrifices an R6 demands. There are lots and lots of bikes out there faster than mine, but mine still moves out in a shocking hurry if you choose.

Fizzer6R

It's not that simple. An R6 is slightly quicker in the 1/4 and around a track than an FZ1. If you want the fastest thing going, buy a big displacement SS. If you want a sporty bike that is comfortable, easy to handle, and can actually be used and enjoyed without flogging the pi$$ out of it buy a 600 Sport Tourer. Litre Sport Tourers fit in between. They are (almost) as quick as a 600SS but can be used like an FZ6R if you choose. I love that I can ride my bike like an R6 without making the sacrifices an R6 demands. There are lots and lots of bikes out there faster than mine, but mine still moves out in a shocking hurry if you choose.
I would certainly hope an R6 is quicker than a FZ1 around a track, one is a SS while the other isn't, each is made for dif. things.

To me it is simple, as a lover of liter bikes (I've also had numerous 600's) I can ride one easier on the street, and faster on the track (my lap times proved this).

The Ride Apart article is mostly crap in my opinion, one could easily write a "11 reasons why liter bikes are better than 600s" article

bmw675

Not always true. I know numerous people that have better best laps on their 750 than 1k; 600 vs 750. For a lot of the more technical tracks, the light weight and flickability of the smaller bike out perform the bigger bikes.

But you can also add me to the list who believe a 1000 isn't necessary, street or track. So much unusable power on the street, and I like my lighter bike on the track.

Brock Kickass

What bike IS necessary? I could get by on a scooter but I really enjoy my bike, necessary or not. Sometimes when I pull out to pass I even get to use all of the horses under the command of my right wrist. Either way, I wouldn't want any other bike than my grossly overpowered and unnecessary FZ1. There are guys (and girls) out there who could jump on a 250 and turn a better lap time on a track than I can on my bike, but that doesn't change how much I love the big power my bike makes. At the end of the day, we could all get around driving Yarises, but we choose the bikes we ride because they make us smile, so ride what makes you feel like a badass!

RoadTrip

I am personally still curious about big power (ala S1000RR). My current 750 has plenty, but when accessing all of it, its not like 'OMG' or anything, yes it is very fast and I love it, but it does not seem 'insane' like the descriptions of WOT on a liter, so yeah I am curious about that. I think the Ride Apart argument touches on the 600 vs 1000 discussions we have all seen before, but it seems they are stirring the pot a bit. To me it really boils down to 2 things: having to shift to find power, and top end power. Power is a bit easier to access on the 750 vs 600, and even more so on a 1000, so for someone who enjoys a musclecar punch in any gear then a liter will be appealing, for other hyperactive sorts (like myself) fiddling with gear selection keeps me entertained.

Top speed is the other issue, yes a 600/750 can approach a liter top end given enough time and road. But I had a couple guys on liters blast past me one time while I was still riding the GSXR600, I can assure you that the acceleration I observed their bikes doing, while already at a high speed, was rather other worldly (one guy even had a chick on the back). I found a similar effect going from my GSXR600 to 750, in any particular gear on a straight, WOT vs time results in a higher top speed, and liters have even more warp drive behavior. Everyone likes a little top end blast now and again, and as you move up in power it takes less effort to make that happen.

For the street rider, 600 vs 1000 track times aren't that important. Of course handling is important to sport riding in general, you want reasonable flickability, and you don't want a bike that has to be held down to stay on line (e.g. runs wide). But as long as a bike doesn't have any glaring handling issues, most highway curves aren't demanding enough to say liter bikes handle poorly, maybe just more corner entry planning and mid corner execution are needed.

So, to say 'liter bikes are unnecessary' doesn't really mean anything for the typical street rider who doesn't care about lap times, liter bikes provide a different riding experience, and many people like the way it feels.