LED turn signals problem

Ripley

I am struggling with the LED turn signal mod on my bike. I'm keeping the stock tail light. However, I am trying to install LED flush mounts on the front and LED signals on the rear. The flush mounts seem to work fine when the stock rear turn signals are installed, however, when I install the LED rear turn signals, the front will dim and flash simultaneously and the rear fail to illuminate. I have a TST Ind. flasher relay which has same results as the stock relay. I have confirmed the rear do illuminate if I move them to the front. I see some folks use a load resistor in place of the flasher relay but from what I've read you don't need both. Anyone have this issue and have any tips to resolve it?

stickyribs

Hi Ripley, i have flush mount tinted LED front indicators (flashers) and a LED Tail light with integrated rear turn signals but the concept is the same.

The standard flasher relay will not properly support LED flashers however, the 'fault' you should experience is indicators that flash overly fast. the solution to that issue is to instal a new (LED compatible flasher relay) or 'rectifier' as they are also known. these are inexpensive and you will be able to find one that plugs straight into your loom in the stock location after a quick search on eBay.

The fault you have is clearly different and might not be overcome by a rectifier (but you'll need one anyway) so i'd source one and check. But simply plugging in LED flashers front and rear should not cause the issue you have as the wiring loom would remain unaltered and you should have a result of left only and right flashers working individually (except when hazard is on) but at a higher speed.

I hate to ask but have you cut the stock loom? As a 'short' seems a more likely cause.

To troubleshoot your issue I would suggest unplugging the fronts and testing the rear flashers alone, then try with front stock (non LEDs) plugged in.

hope this is of some help & good luck

Attachments

Ripley

I do have a TST Industries LED flasher relay but it doesn't change the result over the stock relay. I have not cut any of the wiring. Instead I purchased the Yamaha wiring harness LED adapter leads which makes everything plug n play. Fuse is good. Anyone just have a relay or did you all install load resistors?

mike

I just used a led flasher relay from Custom LED. It fixed the fast flashing problem. As for your issue if all lights are flashing you need to make sure the connectors are pinned correctly. Just because it's plug and play don't mean the wires on the connectors are in the right place.

Ripley

I just used a led flasher relay from Custom LED. It fixed the fast flashing problem. As for your issue if all lights are flashing you need to make sure the connectors are pinned correctly. Just because it's plug and play don't mean the wires on the connectors are in the right place.
OMG, I'm an idiot! I have to admit my comprehension of electrical stuff is terrible which is why I bought what I believed to be plug n play leads. At first I didn't understand what you wrote. I had to read it 3 times before I got it....look at the damn plug n play connector and see if the contacts on the lead connector line up with the pins on the bikes connector.

I never looked at them because I bought leads specifically for the FZ6R so I assumed they'd be wired for it. However, I have since come to realize what happened... The front bike connector has 3 pins and the lead only has 2. So the front was 100% likely to have the 2 contacts match up with 2 pins on the bike. I'm assuming it didn't matter which ones because LEDs don't have polarity. The rear bike connector has only 2 pins and the lead has 2 contacts so those pins have to line up. My lead had the contact in the hole where there was no pin on the bike connector. I switched the lead wires so the contacts matched the bike and wholla, the damn things work on the front and the back.

Now I'm sure you knew all this but in case someone else finds themselves in the same predicament as I was in, they will know what to do. I searched everywhere for an answer but could not find anyone that had this issue.

What's really dumb is that I just bought new lights thinking something was wrong with these. Oh well I guess I'll be returning those.

Thanks so much for the answer that I would never have found on my own! :banghead: