Leaning question

Adol1981

Hello everyone.

First post to this site!

I just got my FZ6R about 3 weeks ago and have been riding every day.

I've been going through the twisties, and since I've been leaning pretty hard on it found that the back tire seems to loose traction in my lean.

I'm wondering if that's a normal thing that I just need to get used to (pretty new rider), or I may need an upgrade on my tires. I'm currently using the stock battle ax tires for the FZ6R.

I'd like to lean even further, but get a little jittery when I loose the traction.

Also, if I do need better tires, what do you recommend? Preferably something that won't burn up after a few weeks :) I do also use the bike to commute.

derf1278

Welcome! I like hitting twisties too. Have you set your rear suspension to the hardest setting yet? I found it makes a BIG difference. When my stock tires wore out I switched to Bridgestone T30s. They are good for both longer tire life and weekend mountain runs.

BustedKnuckle

How new are the tires is this a brand new bike you bought two weeks ago? Are you leaning to the point where the foot peg scraps the ground or is the tire slipping before even that point? Either way, no you don't want that slipping through a turn.

brownwa

+1 on the harder rear suspension.

Noticed the rear tire slipping problem on my first track day a few weeks ago. Actually I would call it excessive oversteer and not necessarily slipping. The tire wasn't sliding out or anything but there was serious oversteer. My fz6r is a 2015, still with the OEM tires on it. Had 600 miles on the odometer when I took it to the track.

Also could be that your tires are new. The dealer told me not to lean the thing until I had put some serious miles on it. Basically at the track it was the first time I'd leaned the bike past street limits. So it was virgin rubber that was kissing the track. Assuming the same thing for you in the twisties. My rear spring preload is set to 4, which was fine for road twisties but far too soft for the track. I think dialing it up to 6 should solve the issue for you. However I just live with the oversteer and a spring preload of 4 because it has saved my *** a couple of times hitting bumps in a corner on the street.

Adol1981

Thanks for the replies.

The bike is not new. I bought it second hand with 4000 miles on it. The slipping feeling starts to happen well before I get the pegs to the ground. I would say, from my limited experience, that I am about half way into a full lean, and the back starts to feel a little wobbly like it's not catching.

Since I don't really know how new the tires are, I am highly considering just getting a new pair on it.

Also, thanks for the suspension hardening idea. I'll look up on how to do it. Seems it's pretty easy?

Last edited:

Eorr

I had the same issue... Rear suspension needs to be tighter. On another note, here a few books I found to be very helpful reference aggressive riding.

Mastering The Ride. By David Bough
Total Control. By Lee Parks
Motprcycle 201. By David Preston

Hope this helps.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Eorr

You are exactly right.......hence the reason to read the three books listed above. All three go into what your talking about in even greater detail. The FZ6R is known for its light suspension at factory setting and most all riders will have to stiffen the suspension. The ultimate question is how much and that takes us to the variables you have mentioned. Very good analysis though and always important to remember and talk about.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Eorr

Eorr, I think it goes beyond just remembering and talking about. The points I mentioned are the basic physics that keep an aggressive rider with two tires down rather than up.

I don't want people to remember and talk about those points. They need to recognize the reality of them and comply to them if they are going to ride aggressively. Even a little bit.

Otherwise, bad things can happen. It's not a "let's talk about it" exercise. It's a "Holy FRACK, if I don't learn this it can kill me!" exercise.
Buzzbomb, I am not arguing your point, I am agreeing with your analysis. That is why I listed the three books above. i think the outcome of getting it wrong is obvious and can certainly be a self correcting problem if given a second chance to fix it (should one be so lucky). Subsequently, we need to remember these facts and talk about them. Where there is understanding fear is removed. By talking about these issues and remembering them we become better and stronger riders.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Eorr

Well I have to disagree with that point. Respect yes fear no. There is no need to fear your bike. I rode for years with fear which resulted in a serious collision. Once I empowered myself with knowledge, a healthy respect, along with understanding my limitations; it freed me up and I now love riding without fear. It makes me sad that you fear riding.....but if that's what keeps you safe then by all means.
As to your point about gear you are spot on! One should always dress for the crash. Anyway, it's been nice chatting and I'm glad you care enough to share your concerns and thoughts. God bless and keep the rubber on the road!

Chucker

At the end of the day, Adol1981, your issue is probably related more to your skill level, than the grip of your tires and your suspension setup. Yes, if you're going to ride very aggressively in the twisties, you need grippier tires. And yes, you need your suspension set up correctly. Having said that, if you don't use proper body positioning while riding aggressively in the twisties, you will likely have a bad experience sooner or later. There are countless videos of guys on supersports with hypersport tires lowsiding in the canyons and it is usually due to a lack of skills. At the same time, there are many riders of FZ6Rs, even some on stock tires, that have pushed their bikes and tires close to the limit in a controlled manner.

You can read about body positioning and proper lines through turns, even how to set up your suspension, but the best way to learn is to take a course and have a pro critique and coach you. You will be amazed at how much you don't know or don't do, and you will definitely improve drastically. My opinion is that the cost of the course will be less than the repairs to your bike, should you have a mishap.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

RoadTrip

There might be some small tweaks to suspension and tire pressures that would help, however I can tell you that I was slipping last year and am not this year (same bike, tires, and suspension settings). My lean and speeds have improved while slips have been reduced, most likely simply due to experience, body position, throttle control, corner set up, and smoothness are better than last year.

It's hard to believe that after 4yrs and 40K miles I still continue to improve; being aggressive and ballsy is not the way, for me it is getting into a rhythm, staying relaxed, and riding at my level. It makes no difference if someone is better than me, I am having a ball improving on my level, who cares about chicken strips, knees touching, or youtube heroics. Just be yourself, listen to your bike, and keep learning.

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member