Just Bought my FZ6R - Pointers for a new rider?

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

BigRobb

The Fazer is a great starters bike, it's all about controlling your wrist. It's forgiving and relaxed.
Get a quality full face helmet.
The other gear isn't nearly as important as a good helmet.
Make sure you have at least over the ankle boots, and gloves with a jacket. And wear all your gear all the time!
Distrust EVERYBODY, act as if nobody can see you, and everybody wants to cut you off. You think people are stupid in a cage wait until you're on the bike.
That mindset has saved me many wrecks.

The most important rule:

Have fun!

Sent from my C5170 using Tapatalk

latony007

Welcome, the fz6r is a great all around bike you will be very happy with it. Have you gotten your permit? all you need to ride your bike on your own (but not on the freeway) is to go take the written test which takes about 5 minutes. Then find an empty parking lot to practice around in. If you goint to do the DMV driving test go over there on sundays and they have the test circle painted on the ground so you can practice until you are ready to take it.

you can get some good THICK armored jackets on like jafrum or leatherup.com for fairly cheap. Mine weighs about 10 fricken pounds and was under 200. And don't mess around with a regular helmet, get one with the Bluetooth built in. if your new to riding its awesome to have the GPS in your ear instead of getting distracted looking for road signs or whatever. Plus the music is great too. Gloves can be had anywhere and there are a million. I didn't catch what part of CA you are in but cycle gear actually has a pretty good selection on gloves and is something I would buy in store to make sure the fit is perfect, jackets etc I went online for a much bigger selection and better prices. Like everyone else I recommend frame sliders if you don't have them.

MattEnTheHat

Dude! It's Christmas! There should be no doubt in anyone's mind what to get you this year! Too bad Chaparral doesn't have a thing like a bridal registry.

Passing the motorcycle safety course also exempts you from having to do DMV's low speed riding test. I've heard it's difficult.

What school are you going to?
Yeah! I don't think I could have picked a better time to get a bike, I should be able to pick up some good gear like that.
I have heard the DMV's driving test is difficult as well, so it will be very nice to get out of that.
I go to school in San Luis Obispo, so I am there most of the year, but I am originally from Simi Valley (right on the edge of Ventrua County, but basically another suburb of LA), so that is where I will be taking the MSF course. I signed up to take it with Riderite.
Do you know exactly how it works here in Cali if you are between 18 and 21? I know the MSF course is required, and then you have to take the written test at the DMV. But when you pass the written part do you get your PERMIT or your LICENSE? I am seeing mixed messages on the DMV website. It would be much preferrable if I would get my license immediately, because I would like to take the bike back up to school at the end of winter break (which requires freeway riding), and you are not allowed to ride on the freeway with your permit.

I disagree. As someone who had never ridden a motorcycle before, I took the MSF and got the FZ6R as my first bike. I don't have any regrets and at no time have I thought "I should have gotten something smaller to start".

As others, I would highly recommend the MSF course.
Glad to hear it worked out well for you! Hopefully I have the same success.

The first thing I would suggest is getting frame sliders if the bike doesn't have them already. They're cheap insurance should you drop the bike or go down.
I will absolutely be getting frame sliders. The last thing in the world I would want to do right now is scratch up my beautiful new bike!

Congrats on the purchase!!! awesome you purchased the fastest color! lol

what part of cali? im in Bakersfield

and yes!!!! frame sliders immediately. I rode 2 years and then in one month it was tiped over 3 times for dumb little reason no damage other than scuff on frame sliders.
I live in San Luis Obispo most of the year at school, but my house is down south in Simi Valley.

The Fazer is a great starters bike, it's all about controlling your wrist. It's forgiving and relaxed.
Get a quality full face helmet.
The other gear isn't nearly as important as a good helmet.
Make sure you have at least over the ankle boots, and gloves with a jacket. And wear all your gear all the time!
Distrust EVERYBODY, act as if nobody can see you, and everybody wants to cut you off. You think people are stupid in a cage wait until you're on the bike.
That mindset has saved me many wrecks.

The most important rule:

Have fun!

Sent from my C5170 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely be getting a good helmet, and a jacket and gloves. And I'll certainly be wearing everything at all times. It will be easy to get into that habit because it is in the 50s (yes, thats cold for us California people) most days, so I'll be wanting all the warmth I can get I imagine.

Thanks everybody!

MattEnTheHat

Welcome, the fz6r is a great all around bike you will be very happy with it. Have you gotten your permit? all you need to ride your bike on your own (but not on the freeway) is to go take the written test which takes about 5 minutes. Then find an empty parking lot to practice around in. If you goint to do the DMV driving test go over there on sundays and they have the test circle painted on the ground so you can practice until you are ready to take it.

you can get some good THICK armored jackets on like jafrum or leatherup.com for fairly cheap. Mine weighs about 10 fricken pounds and was under 200. And don't mess around with a regular helmet, get one with the Bluetooth built in. if your new to riding its awesome to have the GPS in your ear instead of getting distracted looking for road signs or whatever. Plus the music is great too. Gloves can be had anywhere and there are a million. I didn't catch what part of CA you are in but cycle gear actually has a pretty good selection on gloves and is something I would buy in store to make sure the fit is perfect, jackets etc I went online for a much bigger selection and better prices. Like everyone else I recommend frame sliders if you don't have them.
Thanks for the suggestions!
I had been on the fence about a Bluetooth helmet, but you make a pretty good argument for it. I will certainly look into that.
No, I don't have my permit yet. If I have read the DMV's website correctly I need to take the MSF course first because I'm under 21.
I go to school in San Luis Obispo, so I live there most of the year, but I am originally from Simi Valley, which is just outside LA. There's a cycle gear here in SLO, I will probably head over there tomorrow. My last final is to day, and then FREEEDOMMMM haha

latony007

Thanks for the suggestions!
I had been on the fence about a Bluetooth helmet, but you make a pretty good argument for it. I will certainly look into that.
No, I don't have my permit yet. If I have read the DMV's website correctly I need to take the MSF course first because I'm under 21.
I go to school in San Luis Obispo, so I live there most of the year, but I am originally from Simi Valley, which is just outside LA. There's a cycle gear here in SLO, I will probably head over there tomorrow. My last final is to day, and then FREEEDOMMMM haha
i live in the valley about 20-25 minutes from Simi, my sister, neice, nephew i ride with all live in simi. I did not know there was different rules for under 21 as i am so far past it lol. But i did not think the test there was hard, i just think it depends on what kind of bike you bring. Like a kawi concourse i don't think could complete that circle no matter who was on it. I took my little 650 cruiser and i went and practiced it on the weekends about 3 or 4 times. As for the permit once you get it, which just required the written for me, you can ride solo just not on the freeway or at night.

ylwf3vr

Hm, I have a counter argument for BT helmet for a brand new rider. I think instead of having the music/gps/etc in your ear, you should really focus on getting comfortable on the bike and learning the ins-and-outs of riding. I think BT capability may be a distraction where you are learning the roads.

Now you can always get a BT helmet and not use the capability until you are 110% comfortable with the bike.

latony007

Hm, I have a counter argument for BT helmet for a brand new rider. I think instead of having the music/gps/etc in your ear, you should really focus on getting comfortable on the bike and learning the ins-and-outs of riding. I think BT capability may be a distraction where you are learning the roads.

Now you can always get a BT helmet and not use the capability until you are 110% comfortable with the bike.
i agree about rocking out to music or listening to talk radio or something but the first few times i went out i was looking for directions too much and said F that. You should definitely be comfortable and able to distinguish road sounds from the music before you start playing the radio. But i think you will want to upgrade shortly after if you get a standard helmet. Like ylw says just don't use that part until your comfortable.

MattEnTheHat

i live in the valley about 20-25 minutes from Simi, my sister, neice, nephew i ride with all live in simi. I did not know there was different rules for under 21 as i am so far past it lol. But i did not think the test there was hard, i just think it depends on what kind of bike you bring. Like a kawi concourse i don't think could complete that circle no matter who was on it. I took my little 650 cruiser and i went and practiced it on the weekends about 3 or 4 times. As for the permit once you get it, which just required the written for me, you can ride solo just not on the freeway or at night.
Very cool, where do you go to get gear in the area?

i agree about rocking out to music or listening to talk radio or something but the first few times i went out i was looking for directions too much and said F that. You should definitely be comfortable and able to distinguish road sounds from the music before you start playing the radio. But i think you will want to upgrade shortly after if you get a standard helmet. Like ylw says just don't use that part until your comfortable.
Yeah, I won't be listening to music anytime soon. I'm sure I will have my hands plenty full learning to ride the bike and safely navigating traffic. It does seem like I may be wanting Bluetooth fairly soon, and it would be better to just get it now than to end up buying another helmet in a few months.

Billsbet0

After you pass the msf then take the certificate to the dmv and take the written test to get your license. The msf certificate exempts you from taking the skills portion of the dmv test. I'm pretty sure it works that way no matter what age you are. The age matters for other thing, I believe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

MattEnTheHat

After you pass the msf then take the certificate to the dmv and take the written test to get your license. The msf certificate exempts you from taking the skills portion of the dmv test. I'm pretty sure it works that way no matter what age you are. The age matters for other thing, I believe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Awesome, sounds great!

latony007

Very cool, where do you go to get gear in the area?

Yeah, I won't be listening to music anytime soon. I'm sure I will have my hands plenty full learning to ride the bike and safely navigating traffic. It does seem like I may be wanting Bluetooth fairly soon, and it would be better to just get it now than to end up buying another helmet in a few months.
There is a cycle gear on Topanga and vannowen about 15-20 minutes from Simi. They have a good selection of gloves there. I picked up some freeze out underpants and glove liners there a week or so ago but I would always check their prices against amazon or leather up etc. I recommend this helmet for your first as being the best bang for the buck helmet I have seen. I moved up to a torc for more than twice the price because its paint job matched my bike so perfect and it had the internal sun visor but other than that its no better than this one below...

Vcan V136B1 Black Bluetooth Helmet - LeatherUp.com

Billsbet0

Gear sizes

Not sure if everyone else experienced this but when I was looking for gear I found the sizes varied greatly. Ended up with a size 14 boot when I wear a size 12 in dress shoe and sneakers. The boot is still snugger than I would like but that was the biggest boot in the store. My gloves ended up as 2xl's. My jacket was XL which I expected. Makes it hard to buy online unless you can try sizes at a retail store then look online afterwards.

oh, and 10+ on the frame sliders. I consider them required equipment for any bike. I've seen postings on this forum of people who have had their bike knocked over when parked and the repair bill cost over $1,000. Happened to me and only damage was the foot brake lever got pushed in. Repair cost = $0.00.

TheSandman13

For someone your age, you're already taking a great first step by posting this question on this forum. Most kids your age would probably think it would be uncool to ask questions. Congrats.

As for advice, the best would be to take everything slow and easy. Don't be in a rush to try things that are better left until you have more seat time under your belt. Don't push it too hard or try to ride outside of your skill level. That will be a very quick recipe for an accident. You're only 19. You have plenty of years ahead of you to enjoy riding motorcycles. No need to try everything in the first 6 weeks. You want to make sure you're around to enjoy the many years ahead.

Of course, all the advice about gear is great. The more the better. Get the best that you can afford. Good helmet is the number one priority. Good gloves are necessary also. Except for the helmet, you don't necessarily need gear made just for motorcycle riding, but it's better if you can afford it. Shoes that cover your ankles, protective jacket, and long pants and are the basics. You can get dedicated boots, pants and riding jacket as you can afford.

I have a 20 year old son who started riding 6 months ago, and his first bike is also an FZ6R (2011). I think it's a great first bike, as well as a great bike if you've been riding for many years. You won't need to upgrade to a bigger bike anytime soon (if ever). It's not an R6, but it still has plenty of power. More than enough for daily driving and even the occasional track day if you're so inclined. I currently have an 06 FZ6 for the street and an 05 R6 track bike, and have been riding for 40 years. I enjoy riding his FZ6R when he lets me. A little less power than mine, but it's smoother, and handles great.

Enjoy the new bike. And again, take it slow and practice any chance you can.

SixRFixR

I don't get the freeway restriction for new riders. The freeway is much safer than surface streets. Usually bikes get hit by cars pulling out from side streets or get rear ended at stops. On freeways everyone is going the same direction at similar speeds. It ain't the v, it's the delta v, as in velocity, that's important.

Welcome to the forum!!!:wav: the guys/gals here are great for as long as I've been here (got my bike in July). Be sure to hit the THANKS button for anyone who gives advice (good/bad/indifferent) since they took the time to post their wisdom.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member