Just Bought my FZ6R - Pointers for a new rider?

MattEnTheHat

Hey everybody, I just bought my first motorcycle: a black (or "raven" as Yamaha prefers to call the color) 2009 Yamaha FZ6R!

I have to say I could not be more excited. I am currently up in college and the bike is at home 200 miles away. Also, I don't have my license yet, so I haven't had a chance to ride it yet needless to say.

But regardless I am extremely stoked! So I just wanted to introduce myself to you all and share the good news!

Any tips or pointers for a brand new rider?
I am particularly curious about gear: I will be needing pretty much everything, so any suggestions for jacket, helmet, gloves, etc. would be appreciated (I'm on a fairly tight budget, so affordable stuff is preferred).

Y

yellowfz

Never ask for gear advice, tips or pointers from a forum on the internet. Golden Rule!!!!
There will be a lot of good and a little bad advice given, experience is the best teacher, ride often and be safe doing it. :)

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member
Last edited:

bleedinblue

Elite Member

priotiynapkin

+1 on MSF course. and lots of time in the parking lot.
cycle gear has a cheap line of gear called Bilt, but you're probably gonna want something nicer in the long run. head into a motorcycle shop and try on stuff to see what you like the look and feel of!
oh and welcome! :) you're gonna love this bike

MattEnTheHat

Never ask for gear advice, tips or pointers from a forum on the internet. Golden Rule!!!!
There will be a lot of good and a little bad advice given, experience is the best teacher, ride often and be safe doing it. :)
Wouldn't that be advice itself though?... just kidding haha, that's a good point, thanks!

echoplex

IMO, as someone with no biking experience ever, you should've started off on a 250. (I started off on a 250 before upgrading and am so glad I did because I respect my bike so much more for its capabilities and have made many mistakes on my 250 that would completely suck to make on my fz6r)

But other than that, don't get yourself killed.

MattEnTheHat

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride! If you've got some time before you're able to ride it then I suggest just being patient. This forum and its members are great resources for information. Use the search feature to peruse through articles, check back daily for new posts and threads, and just troll around for awhile. That's what a lot of us did before we really got into a lot of riding and purchases. I know it's tough to be patient when buying your first bike (we've all been there) but this is especially true if you are on a tight budget. It'll give you some more time to help narrow down some gear to buy. You'll find though that it's tough to judge what kind of gear you'll like until you've tried a few things out. Also, you're riding style will change the longer you ride and you're choice of gear will most certainly change as a result. As long as you take care of it, gear is pretty easy to re-sell so don't think you'll be stuck with something forever if you use it for a few months and don't like it.

Have you taken an MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course yet? Not required but I think I speak for just about everyone on this forum when I say take the course. It'll teach the basics, gets you you're Cycle endorsement, and is good for a discount on just about everyone type of motorcycle insurance.

Alright, I'll shut up now and let others weigh in.
I will be home on Friday, and will be picking up the bike and towing it home on Saturday or Sunday.
Sounds like good advice on the gear though, and it is especially good to hear that the resale on gear is reasonable!
As for the MSF course, no I have not taken it yet. I'm signed up to take it on December 20th and 21st. It actually is required here in California for anyone under 21 (I'm 19), but required or not it certainly seems like a good use of my time, and a good way to start out learning to ride. Thanks for all the good recommendations!

Also, is there a way I can quote both posts in my post so I don't have to make two back-to-back posts?

MattEnTheHat

IMO, as someone with no biking experience ever, you should've started off on a 250. (I started off on a 250 before upgrading and am so glad I did because I respect my bike so much more for its capabilities and have made many mistakes on my 250 that would completely suck to make on my fz6r)

But other than that, don't get yourself killed.
I have heard many people say that, and that was actually my original intention. The only reason I ended up getting this bike is because it was too good of a deal to pass up. It's high miles (66,000), but I talked to the shop where the previous owner took it and they said it was extremely well maintained. I got it for $2,300 including the factory extended warranty until January 1, 2016, which covers everything except tires, brakes, and chains.
Hopefully I will be able to learn on the bigger bike.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

ylwf3vr

Welcome! Seeing that you're in Cali (I lived there before) don't lane-split before you hone your skills ;)

...and don't buy used gear (helmet more importantly) even if you're on a budget..

MattEnTheHat

Yes, immediately to the right of the Quote button there is a button with quotation marks and a plus sign. hit that on each post you want to make a comment on and it'll combine those posts into one reply.
Ohh whoops haha probably should have figured that out myself... thanks though!

Welcome! Seeing that you're in Cali (I lived there before) don't lane-split before you hone your skills ;)

...and don't buy used gear (helmet more importantly) even if you're on a budget..
Yeah, definitely no intentions of lane splitting for a good while haha.
Why not used gear? I mean I can see that you would want to know the history of your helmet, but why not used gear for the rest? Not that I was planning on getting used stuff anyways, but just for the sake of curiosity...

ylwf3vr

Ohh whoops haha probably should have figured that out myself... thanks though!

Yeah, definitely no intentions of lane splitting for a good while haha.
Why not used gear? I mean I can see that you would want to know the history of your helmet, but why not used gear for the rest? Not that I was planning on getting used stuff anyways, but just for the sake of curiosity...
Oh yea I meant helmet. Others it's okay (armor in jackets can always be replaced). I just wouldn't trust someone's "story" on the history of a helmet. There are good people in the world and there are not so good people. Helmet will save your dome so I wouldn't take someone's "word".

But I am a hypocrite cuz I did sell my helmet to someone. Lol but I never dropped it or anything. Just didn't like the modular helmet. Like I said.. Good people and bad people. Lol

Sorry for the rant.

MattEnTheHat

Oh yea I meant helmet. Others it's okay (armor in jackets can always be replaced). I just wouldn't trust someone's "story" on the history of a helmet. There are good people in the world and there are not so good people. Helmet will save your dome so I wouldn't take someone's "word".

But I am a hypocrite cuz I did sell my helmet to someone. Lol but I never dropped it or anything. Just didn't like the modular helmet. Like I said.. Good people and bad people. Lol

Sorry for the rant.
No worries haha. Yeah, the guy I bought the bike from is giving me a helmet that he doesn't use anymore for free haha but I don't plan on using it. Maybe keep it around for passengers or something

VRIIClubby

I'll say the same as most people on here, read, read, read, then read some more, than read a little bit more than ask a few questions and read some bloody more! lol.

Find some older people that have been riding in your areas for a long time - like 40-50 year olds. Pester them with questions, they are the blokes that have seen most things you will experience, also being aorund your "area" they will fill you in on good roads, bad roads, shops and the list goes on.

I started on the 6R aswell, good bike to learn on IMHO, 250's are too small for some people (like me), maybe You could ask one of the Aussie blokes on here to send you over their old limiter, as the 6R is a learner bike in Australia itrs fitted with a throttle lock, was good for my first few months to learn the bike (restricts throttle to about 1/3rd).

Dont compromise on gear! Espeacially a Helmet, you can probably buy a new leg or arm or something in Thailand these days but I hear heads are a little hard to come by?

If your going to ride for a long time, invest in decent gear that will last, it will evantually be cheaper in the long haul. Even try the bad stories with your folks to raise some more capital ;)

but most of all, rubber down and enjoy yourself!

MattEnTheHat

I'll say the same as most people on here, read, read, read, then read some more, than read a little bit more than ask a few questions and read some bloody more! lol.

Find some older people that have been riding in your areas for a long time - like 40-50 year olds. Pester them with questions, they are the blokes that have seen most things you will experience, also being aorund your "area" they will fill you in on good roads, bad roads, shops and the list goes on.

I started on the 6R aswell, good bike to learn on IMHO, 250's are too small for some people (like me), maybe You could ask one of the Aussie blokes on here to send you over their old limiter, as the 6R is a learner bike in Australia itrs fitted with a throttle lock, was good for my first few months to learn the bike (restricts throttle to about 1/3rd).

Dont compromise on gear! Espeacially a Helmet, you can probably buy a new leg or arm or something in Thailand these days but I hear heads are a little hard to come by?

If your going to ride for a long time, invest in decent gear that will last, it will evantually be cheaper in the long haul. Even try the bad stories with your folks to raise some more capital ;)

but most of all, rubber down and enjoy yourself!
Reading is certainly the name of the game right now.
That is a good idea, about talking to older riders in the area. I will definitely look into that.
Interesting idea about the limiter. I don't think anybody could get one here by next weekend (for a reasonable shipping cost), so I will probably try it out without for now. If things are going rough, though, then I will definitely look into that.
A good, quality helmet is the primary thing I am looking for at this point. My parents have agreed to lend me money for gear, so I won't have too be too cheap about it.
Thanks for the great ideas!

SixRFixR

My parents have agreed to lend me money for gear, so I won't have too be too cheap about it.
Dude! It's Christmas! There should be no doubt in anyone's mind what to get you this year! Too bad Chaparral doesn't have a thing like a bridal registry.

Passing the motorcycle safety course also exempts you from having to do DMV's low speed riding test. I've heard it's difficult.

What school are you going to?

Cerebus

I disagree. As someone who had never ridden a motorcycle before, I took the MSF and got the FZ6R as my first bike. I don't have any regrets and at no time have I thought "I should have gotten something smaller to start".

As others, I would highly recommend the MSF course.

ignatz

Hey everybody, I just bought my first motorcycle: a black (or "raven" as Yamaha prefers to call the color) 2009 Yamaha FZ6R!

I have to say I could not be more excited. I am currently up in college and the bike is at home 200 miles away. Also, I don't have my license yet, so I haven't had a chance to ride it yet needless to say.

But regardless I am extremely stoked! So I just wanted to introduce myself to you all and share the good news!

Any tips or pointers for a brand new rider?
I am particularly curious about gear: I will be needing pretty much everything, so any suggestions for jacket, helmet, gloves, etc. would be appreciated (I'm on a fairly tight budget, so affordable stuff is preferred).

The first thing I would suggest is getting frame sliders if the bike doesn't have them already. They're cheap insurance should you drop the bike or go down.