is it bad?

Deputyfarva252

Ive got about 2500 miles on the road and have rode dirt bikes , and dirt BMX for a long time . I just feel comfortable on the road , i mean im still very aware and im always ATGATT , but its nothing for me to ride one handed and just relax on the bike . Is this a bad thing? i mean ive had several close call some my fault some other peoples ......I dont know it just feels like ive been riding forever.

k6gad

Ive got about 2500 miles on the road and have rode dirt bikes , and dirt BMX for a long time . I just feel comfortable on the road , i mean im still very aware and im always ATGATT , but its nothing for me to ride one handed and just relax on the bike . Is this a bad thing? i mean ive had several close call some my fault some other peoples ......I dont know it just feels like ive been riding forever.

I guess that depends....If you are riding around town it's suicide! If you are out in the great wide open....probably not. Just remember it will significantly slow down your reaction time in an emergency. I'd hate to hit a rabbit one handed!

Deputyfarva252

yeah when im in town i have both hands on and of course extra careful but where i live we have a lot of back roads and straight away highways

Harda toenail

Been a four wheeler rider all my life with some occasional dirt bikes. I'm more comfortable on my bike than in my car. Better braking, field of view, faster acceleration, and much smaller form factor. I hate taking the stealth through a crowded road

kevin8198

Elite Member

DragonBlu

Not necessarily a bad thing.I ride one handed once in a while to straighten my back and get more comfortable. For the most part two hands on the bars for the quickest reaction is what I have lived by on the street for over forty years. :thumbup:

Hoops 09Raven

Lol at least you have at least one hand on the handlebars. I see fools riding around here on freeways with no hands on the handlebars, talk about idiots!

CrazyCawi

throttle lock I assume?

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

blkbrd

Elite Member

Sparkxx1

I wouldn't be too comfortable with the thought of having better braking. A Ford Focus (not exactly a performance machine) will stop from 60 mph in less distance than a R6. I think we would have a hard time finding cars we could actually stop faster than.

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS and 2012 Ford Focus Titanium Specs - Motor Trend
2011 Yamaha YZF-R6 Street Comparison - Motorcycle USA
Factoring in reaction time for a motorcycle vs a car, I hope you know your theory will prove very wrong indeedy. While most cagers are out talking to their families listening to music, and just about fumbling with everything they goddamn can get and cannot get their hands on. A motorcyclist is usually more aware and his fingers only have to travel a whee 4 cms, that's if he doesn't already have his brakes covered. The problem in the real world is that the cager won't begin to stop until it's too late. Then you get rear ended. Sometimes the best solution to avoid a crash is see the exit(your escape strategy), go to the exit, pull over to the side as soon as its safe and clear to do so.

I've only been riding for 700 miles and I find that I see what's going to go wrong. I stop, and THEN the cager on the phone realizes he was about to make roadkill out of me.

Last edited:

husker525

Denver, Colorado: Riding one handed will get you a coupon to answer to the man for Careless Driving. You can press hard while signing with your now rested hand, you will be making 5 copies.....LOL

I do it all the time as well, just careful not to do it while in LoDo.

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Sparkxx1

Are you serious? I ride one handed on the freeway all the time. Even on back roads if I'm sitting up relaxing. Even had my pic taken a few times like that. ;)
LOL

I think i can get ticketed for that in NYC, not to mention stopped. NTY two hands or nothing. :thumbup:

Deputyfarva252

I think i can get ticketed for that in NYC, not to mention stopped. NTY two hands or nothing. :thumbup:

You know the bad thing is im a Deputy in NC and i Honestly am not sure whether or not you can be ticketed for riding with one hand , im sure if you go into an accident and that was the cause then sure but unless the cop was watching they would never know. Ill have to ask one of my trooper buddies about that.

Deputyfarva252

There's a fine line between comfort, and over confidence. I was in the same boat. I've been on 2 wheels since I was 2. But that was always either BMX or mountain bikes. First time I rode a motorcycle was a CRF450 on a motocross track 2 years ago. Not one issue, never dumped it, nothing like that. I took my MSF class and the instructor wouldn't believe me that I had no experience. Then my second day riding my FZ6R, I damn near became a hood ornament feeling way too comfortable hitting the twisties with 90 miles under my tires. I learned really fast how to respect what I was doing, no matter how comfortable I was on 2 wheels. Use that comfort to make yourself a better rider, not a sloppy rider.

see i was the same way in my MSF class . The instructor was actually giving me shit for not scraping parts and while everyone else was just hitting second gear i was hitting third in alot of the manuevers. I know my limits and after my dad went down (deer) its really opened my eyes as far as what could happen. I was just wondering how many other people felt the same way