Insurance?

AngryAnt

Hey guys, new to the forums. I pick my FZR-6 on Saturday.

My question is related to how you guys insure your bike, and how the years of biking experience will (eventually) affect my costs.

Liability only? Full Coverage? I'm paying cash so I have the option of either.

I've only had my endorsement for a year, and for a 2009 FZR6 (27 year old Male) - its over $1000 / yr for full coverage with the highest possible deductible. Will this improve over the years, or can I pretty much count on ridiculous insurance rates as long as I drive a sport bike?

Just curious if most people dish out for the full coverage or pay cash and go with liability.

kevin8198

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator

elikhom

It also depends on the market value of the bike so as it depreciates the insurance payment should go down.

AngryAnt

LOTS of threads about insurance..

Search function is a great feature! ;)
Thanks, I'll be more diligent about that going forward. I gripe about my co-workers not googling something before they bother me, and here I am doing the same! :banghead:

I need to buy insurance over the weekend, so I'll definitely go through these threads and see which alternatives I can call and get a quote on.

JSP

Super Moderator
Thanks, I'll be more diligent about that going forward. I gripe about my co-workers not googling something before they bother me, and here I am doing the same! :banghead:

I need to buy insurance over the weekend, so I'll definitely go through these threads and see which alternatives I can call and get a quote on.
No problem! But yes, it does get better over time. Get married, that helps a lot too! :cool: State Farm is great! I pay a hair over $20 a month for full coverage for my R6. 27, married, 1 kid, accident on bike, speeding ticket as well.

AngryAnt

No problem! But yes, it does get better over time. Get married, that helps a lot too! :cool: State Farm is great! I pay a hair over $20 a month for full coverage for my R6. 27, married, 1 kid, accident on bike, speeding ticket as well.
How many years experience? I guess shopping around I'm not really sure what I'm going to be able to find on the low-end with only one year on my endorsement. I am married, so that helps a little :)

JSP

Super Moderator
How many years experience? I guess shopping around I'm not really sure what I'm going to be able to find on the low-end with only one year on my endorsement. I am married, so that helps a little :)
I started on a Rebel 250 almost 3 years ago. Full coverage for that was like $24 a month. Then to the FZ6R and that was like $18 a month full coverage. Totaled that, and now on the R6 for about a year. State Farm is good because they dont care what type of bike it is really, they go by CC engine size.

The area you are in, amount of theft there, etc has a bit to play in as well. I also have 2 other vehicles insured through them and home insurance. Been with them straight since I was 15 and first got my drivers license.

husker525

$7.50 a month, full coverage, $200 deductable, Progressive.

AngryAnt

$7.50 a month, full coverage, $200 deductable, Progressive.
Holy crap, $7.50? That's cheaper than my liability on my scooter :confused:

Sounds like I'll definitely be giving progress and state farm a call at least.

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

ichimarugin

Full Cover $204.00 a Year first bike I got it afer I got my license that is no experience the insurance compani is Rider Insurance I don't know how good or bad they are(I hope not to find that out) 29 yrs old and single.

dndfindley

$250 a year Tennessee Farmers (Farm Bureau) full coverage $500 deductible. Believe it or not it was the same for the Spyder I traded. Farmers will insure bikes for ages 25 and up only. David

AngryAnt

Apparently Geico is just bat-shit crazy. They wanted over $1000 / yr for half-way decent coverage with $1000 deductible.

So far Progressive quoted me $260 / yr for similar coverage, State Farm won't apparently insure motorcycles without insuring your car too (or so I was told by the agent), and I haven't called Farm Bureau yet, but I appreciate the suggestions!

Spitfire

Apparently Geico is just bat-shit crazy. They wanted over $1000 / yr for half-way decent coverage with $1000 deductible.

So far Progressive quoted me $260 / yr for similar coverage, State Farm won't apparently insure motorcycles without insuring your car too (or so I was told by the agent), and I haven't called Farm Bureau yet, but I appreciate the suggestions!
I just checked Progressive and Geico online for myself and for the same coverage (comp only $500 ded) Progressive says $300/yr and Geico says $arm/leg, aka $1200/yr... State Farm doesn't give me the option to insure my bike >.>... I already have a car under Progressive though so I think that helps a bit =]

dhewitt88

How the... I just started riding a month ago, got my license, took MSF, and for full coverage under progressive I'm paying 118 a month... 22yrs old, clean record NO TICKETS. new 2011 fz6r.

AngryAnt

I haven't purchased it yet, but progressive gave me the best quote at $260 / yr for moderate full coverage with a $1000 deductible.