Instructions on how to Derestrict your FZ6R (10 Steps )

Roaddawg

No one answered the question, at least as far as I can tell, are the US bikes restricted or not?

If this adds that much power, enabling a wheelie, I want to convert mine. Not that I intend to be doing wheelies, or anything else stupid, I just want to be able to enjoy my bike.
No, the US bikes are NOT restricted like in Australia. They have certain laws, a graduating type of licensing. You can only get so much CC's with a new license. . Someone down there could expalin it more to you.

This thread talks more about their issue down there: http://www.600cc.org/forum/f24/derestrict-lams-bike-question-20129/

or this one...

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/throttle-restriction-19504/

Last edited:

Mitch21

No one answered the question, at least as far as I can tell, are the US bikes restricted or not?

If this adds that much power, enabling a wheelie, I want to convert mine. Not that I intend to be doing wheelies, or anything else stupid, I just want to be able to enjoy my bike.
American bikes are not retricted.

In austalia we have a grduated licensing scheme:
You do a two day practical and theory test to get your Learner License
This only allows you to ride bikes up to a ceratin power to weight ratio with most learners on 250s really heavy 650 cruisers or restriced biles like the fz6r.

They recomend in at least four months time you go back to do another day of testing to get your R-date license. (dont ask me what R-date means). however you are still restricted but only for a further 12 months in which you can apply for your full license and ride any vehicle you want.

or of course you can be dodgy and derestrict whilst still on your Ls or R-date and just hope the cops dont pick on you.

Anyway sorry for bringing this up again, just thought i needed to clarify.

ResArt

I really enjoyed reading this thread, it brings me much pleasure to bring joy to people from my products.

I sound luny.

Cheers

dcBear78

I really enjoyed reading this thread, it brings me much pleasure to bring joy to people from my products.

I sound luny.

Cheers
Hey! No idea you were active round here. Can I say a massive thanks on behalf of all of us for your work.

As one of the first to have got this done all that time ago, I have been advicating your product to anyone who has asked, across multiple forums.

koops266

did it work for you?

Thanks so much for this information. just ordered mine 5 minutes ago.

Question though.
has any of you guys done this already? does it run fine?
i read something when searching for this, that the computer needs to be tuned also... they recon they've changed the air/fuel as well as the trottle assembly...? yes/no?

i hope this is all i need to buy and fit to get my full power.

thanks.
luke.

dcBear78

Thanks so much for this information. just ordered mine 5 minutes ago.

Question though.
has any of you guys done this already? does it run fine?
i read something when searching for this, that the computer needs to be tuned also... they recon they've changed the air/fuel as well as the trottle assembly...? yes/no?

i hope this is all i need to buy and fit to get my full power.

thanks.
luke.
I dare say the majority of us here have done it. Works absolutely 100% fine. Love to know where you got that info? Anything like that said around here is pretty quickly corrected.

edit: Where is QLD are you?

koops266

thankyou!

just derestricted it. thanks alot. the part worked great. i ended up chisseling away the 2 screws with the star shaped piece, with a hammer and chissel cause i couldnt find the tool for it. 7 and half hours later. haha. but just took it for a spin, feels and sounds great. thanks alot guys.

Russellz89

Currently doing mine atm everything is running well except for those 2 torx screws... there in there bloody tight as and tried it with my impact gun and snapped the head off it clean while giving it only a lil bitof power screw driver I doubt I can even get it off =/. I dunno about chisieling them off either cause wont I need them or can they be found at a local hardware store pretty easy enough?

Any tips on getting these lil suckers off.

"Nvm success took me an hour roughly"

Last edited:

phrozin

Currently doing mine atm everything is running well except for those 2 torx screws... there in there bloody tight as and tried it with my impact gun and snapped the head off it clean while giving it only a lil bitof power screw driver I doubt I can even get it off =/. I dunno about chisieling them off either cause wont I need them or can they be found at a local hardware store pretty easy enough?

Any tips on getting these lil suckers off.

"Nvm success took me an hour roughly"
I have just been playing with mine the 2 screws have thread sealer loctite in there if you break them you will haft to ezy out them which could be risky as there is not much around the thread best way to loosen the thread warm it with a heat gun but make sure you don't damage any thing on the throttle body warming up the area will loosen the loctite. they undo anti clock wise just in case you didn't know if you not sure take it to someone who can do it for you as damaging the tb will cost you dearly

don't know if any one has said this but the after market bracket @ $140 is a bit rude. I knocked mine up in 30 mins and cost 5 bucks

Vulpine

I have just been playing with mine the 2 screws have thread sealer loctite in there if you break them you will haft to ezy out them which could be risky as there is not much around the thread best way to loosen the thread warm it with a heat gun but make sure you don't damage any thing on the throttle body warming up the area will loosen the loctite. they undo anti clock wise just in case you didn't know if you not sure take it to someone who can do it for you as damaging the tb will cost you dearly

don't know if any one has said this but the after market bracket @ $140 is a bit rude. I knocked mine up in 30 mins and cost 5 bucks
$140 is a tad rude, if I may ask, how did you knock yours up for $5? Thanks in advance.

phrozin

$140 is a tad rude, if I may ask, how did you knock yours up for $5? Thanks in advance.
went to mitre 10 got 2 pieces of 150mm x 3mm x 50mm plate cost me $1.85 (only really need 1 but got 2 just in case i stuffed up) got a cutting disc for my grinder $1 made a cardboard template from my original bracket. traced it on to the 3mm and cut to shape took about 30 mins stuck it on easy as i also took of my tank and filter to confirm it was indeed getting full throttle looking at the res art 1 if thats how they come they need cutting the stop a fair bit more all i did was put it in to a vice at the black line and bent it easy as you also dont need the the top piece

took it out when finished i gave it a full throttle run my god theses things honk!!! jeppers

my original braket

a plastic template

Last edited:

Karlbee92

Care to enlighten us on how you did this? :D

My bad, I wasn't at the end of the thread XD

Lanesplitter93

It is also possible to get around the restriction without taking the plate out at all. The extended arm of the plate that actually restricts the movement of the throttle can be bent towards the center of the bike with a bit of fiddling. From there you can bend the circular throttle body out a bit and it will completely clear the restricter with no issues

shane8th

If you don't plan on putting the restricter back on, it cost me $8 for the t25h screw driver. And then I just grinded off the part stopping the throttle moving to far. Took me 45 minutes to complete this. Bike is running well. Finally managed to get it on its back wheel with the extra power. But yeah, $8 can't go wrong. I was gonna buy a sheet of metal like phrozen did but Bunning didn't have any.

MrPyklet

I derestricted my bike and when I got pulled over I got a $300 fine and 6 demerit points!!!

I am in QLD and I have my Open RE license.

I had to put the restrictor back in and it felt like I was riding a push bike :( I cant wait to get my unrestriced license!!

furiousgeorge

I derestricted my bike and when I got pulled over I got a $300 fine and 6 demerit points!!!

I had to put the restrictor back in and it felt like I was riding a push bike :( I cant wait to get my unrestriced license!!

So you were fined for riding an unrestricted bike on your RE when you're meant to have O LAMS bike or for modifying it?

dcBear78

Wow... You came up against the most educated cop ever. Must be a bike rider himself to know. I got pulled over cause they suspected I was going very fast as they could hear me ages away (I was, but didn't incriminate myself). Unrestricted bike, 2bros exhaust, FE, flush mount indicators on RE license. Let of with a warning.

W0rp3D

Got off my L's on saturday and fitted the plate today, one of the bolt heads on the plate was slightly stripped and the other was fubar, got one off and had to cut the head off the other, replaced both with standard bolts, also was a bitch to get the two bolts on the front edge of the fairing back in, other than that it was pretty basic, i did have to adjust a lot of slack out of the cable tho.

Took me a few hours due to the headaches, now i cant be bothered riding it tonight, will test ride it tomorrow.

Last edited: