Instructions on how to Derestrict your FZ6R (10 Steps )

DJBH4991

It's all down the rider I think, wether you do it in a cocky or confident sense..

Confident as in ready to progress to more power and use it wisely and when needed..

Or cocky meaning overconfident, and making a big mistake

adamo3957

The Lams set up is bullshit? Spend all your learner years on a 250-600 til you think your some top rider getting his/her? Then bam liter like the next day? It's stupid, there should definately be a more gradual power increase as the years go on... Call me crazy but It makes some sense.
Agreed, it should be more graduated, however the difference between a 250 and a 1000 normally is enough to remind how much is left to learn... saying that it's the first mistake that's most likely to kill you...

And I'm definately am NOT comparing a FZ6, to a Superbike of any kind.. Just saying the difference between restricted and unrestricted seems like a big leap when your riding the restricted model next to the opened up one..
FZ6 will stomp the FZ6R everyday restricted or not, very different bikes, FZ6 is faster and quicker turning, but I get your point,

No way I'd open up the bike without careful consideration..
You'll open her up, we all open her up, I use the full power on a daily basis, why because it's there and because it's fun

The risk is there yes, but I've been pulled over multiple times and have to explain why a 250 and a 600 are both learner legal to every copper.. It seems cops in the area aren't well educated on bike restrictions and how they work...
They aren't, count yourself lucky they aren't, but honestly if you've been pulled over multiple times do you really want to get caught? I've been pulled over once, and that was because I was doing 90 in a 40 zone... but still, I was let off, I don't know why you've been pulled over so many times but your doing something to attract their attention...

I don't plan on gunning it everywhere top gear, just knowing the power is there and ready to use when or if I need it..
As before, you will, I do, an expression to keep in mind, "absolute power, corrupts absolutely". As stated before, we all like to go quick or have that rush of acceleration.

As for top speed I'll take your word for it.. I've hit 170 with no mods, 180+ with exhaust and juicebox...
Bike is stock, 180 only take 500m from a standstill...

I've come off at 70, that was bad enough..
Same, came off at 70, surfed on top of a hedge until I hit a tree head first, that was due to a car pulling out on me in England when I was 16.

It hurts...

Don't get me wrong here... I probably seem very negative towards you, I'm not, I'm just tired of hearing people say that it's for this or that reason, lets face it, we bought a 600, we want the power of that 600, and we all just want to go fast.

If you know the risks of what you are doing then feel free to do the mod, have a play, enjoy yourself, just be careful and good luck to you.

DJBH4991

Spotting him wasn't the issue, we were going through twisties.. And the copper just happened to be doing a house call. So we rushed out and he followed n pulled us over

adamo3957

hmmm so you spotted the cop and thought you'd go quick?

Lesson for you, you spot a cop you ride like it's test day, you indicate early, you make sure you leave your L plate on, and you use as little throttle as you can, keep those loud pipes quiet

gibbo

I agree with adamo3957 we all want to go faster lol
It's literally killing me inside knowing that I can have the engines full power in 15 mins but I'm holding out till get my opens then all hell will be let loose on the bike (2013/14 XJ6NL).
Btw I ride this bike everyday to work and it's still fast enough restricted in traffic.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

DJBH4991

Not stupid quick, just quicker then a car could get out of those type of corners aha and I had stock pipes on at the time, so it sounded like a hairdryer..

I don't have a car, so bikes my only transport rail hail shine.. I'm not complaining about the stock restricted power, I agree that's plenty for daily use.. But I'm sure most blokes would take the opportunity to get more power if they had the chance.

FastFreddy

You got fined for "accelerating too quickly" ?

I know its wrong to say, but that's kinda cool. I've heard unconfirmed reports of people getting a fine like that before, its like the 4 leaf clover of fines. It's like the policeman admitting he's hassling you and doesn't really have anything else to get you on.

You may need to practise your contrite facial expression next time, I don't know, seems like you could have got off that one.

With the derestriction, its not really about the power or bike handling skills, its more about experience with reading what the other traffic is doing. Judging by the lack of policing I see for drivers tailgating vulnerable motorbikes, its natural to want more power after having cars come up close behind you day after day.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

adamo3957

You got fined for "accelerating too quickly" ?

I know its wrong to say, but that's kinda cool. I've heard unconfirmed reports of people getting a fine like that before, its like the 4 leaf clover of fines. It's like the policeman admitting he's hassling you and doesn't really have anything else to get you on.

You may need to practise your contrite facial expression next time, I don't know, seems like you could have got off that one.

With the derestriction, its not really about the power or bike handling skills, its more about experience with reading what the other traffic is doing. Judging by the lack of policing I see for drivers tailgating vulnerable motorbikes, its natural to want more power after having cars come up close behind you day after day.
yeah I know plenty of people who've been done under that...

It's code for, you were reving the crap out of it, keep it quiet and don't gun it when the cops are around.

they put you under hoon law for that one

DJBH4991

We didn't get a fine for speeding, that's the beauty of squad cars and patty wagons,they have no radar gear and can actually fine you for speeding unless it's stupidly obvious and they're traveling behind you... They just can't prove your speeding otherwise... But the highway patrol cars, nail you almost every time from a fair distance away..

They have us cautions for "aggressive acceleration" and wen over our bikes and helmets just to spot for defects and something they can actually get us for.. Cheeky bastards

adamo3957

WA, no cars have cameras attached :p, legal to have detectors as well,

there's a time and a place for going quick, the FZ6r is plenty even restricted to put you on the wrong side of the speed limit...

Honestly, I'd advise you not to de-restrict yours until you've had more time on the road, and gotten more experience under your belt...

Keep in mind this advice is from someone who's raced bikes on the track, raced cars, and been driving for over 10 years (yeah I'm on a LAMs bike, happens when you only have a race license and you need to get your road one...)

You'll pick up over time where cops will likely be, and learn about positioning for visibility etc etc...

You add in now all the extra power the bike has and you'll most likely hurt yourself next time you make a mistake, give it another 12 months, don't go chasing power yet, it's addictive, put the money into track days instead... (Eastern Creek is about $180 for the day if I remember correctly)

DJBH4991

I'm being told the FZ6r is also computer restricted? I know it's throttle and exhaust, but ECU idk? Anyone know

VRIIClubby

sorry but screw res-art... get a screwdriver, does the same thing and you can revert it back to "legal" quicker. (so I hear).

Nice choice on mods btw :) You get the clear screen or a tinted one? If you got the clear one make sure you don't leave your bike in the sun too long...

DJBH4991

Wether the throttle restriction is in place or not, there is a sizable difference between stock and aftermarket exhaust.. Stock hinders performance majorly..

Well I have gone ahead with the de-restriction, just cut the plate myself and adjusted the throttle cable slack where needed.. Massive improvement in performance, with a tbr exhaust system and juicebox pro, it's nothing on a Superbike obviously, but it feels like a totally different bike once you get to a certain rpm.. Now just have to purchase a restricted throttle plate to pass inspections :L

tanoz

Wether the throttle restriction is in place or not, there is a sizable difference between stock and aftermarket exhaust.. Stock hinders performance majorly..

Well I have gone ahead with the de-restriction, just cut the plate myself and adjusted the throttle cable slack where needed.. Massive improvement in performance, with a tbr exhaust system and juicebox pro, it's nothing on a Superbike obviously, but it feels like a totally different bike once you get to a certain rpm.. Now just have to purchase a restricted throttle plate to pass inspections :L

So his current model on his website fits the 13 model too? I read a thread somewhere that they were changed slightly