Ignition: Hard to get the key in.

MikeN02

Not sure if it has happened to anyone else but for me it's been really hard to get the key in. More so than normal actually, I've tried switched to my spare key as well and it isn't the key that is bent or anything.

When I try to stick the key in the ignition it goes in but not all the way, still has that final inch of tick that is hard to get in. My guess is that the ignition is rusted or something as I've been out in the rain a lot.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Does it occur all the time, or just when you have the handlebars locked?

JonKerr

Elite Member

Spunky99

nlpyle

My bike did the same thing. I ride year round and this last winter bike was the same. I sprayed WD40 on the key and kept sliding it in there, no issues sense but check out other options if you can.

drrobert

Haven't had this problem w/ FZ6R, yet, but was a frequent problem on KLR650. As others said, WD40 (or a silicone spray) is the fix. A bigger problem, though not this time of year, is water in switch that freezes. Solution, spray, then insert heated key (cig. lighter).

Spunky99

Haven't had this problem w/ FZ6R, yet, but was a frequent problem on KLR650. As others said, WD40 (or a silicone spray) is the fix. A bigger problem, though not this time of year, is water in switch that freezes. Solution, spray, then insert heated key (cig. lighter).
It freezes in GA?

Whooda thunk that!

MikeN02

Good thing I'm in Florida and stuff doesn't freeze here unless it's in a refrigerator

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
+1 Don't use WD-40. I believe it is a water repellent, so if moisture in the ignition is the issue, using WD-40 may actually drive the moisture further into the ignition barrel. A lot of the aviation lubricants might do the trick.

MikeN02

+1 Don't use WD-40. I believe it is a water repellent, so if moisture in the ignition is the issue, using WD-40 may actually drive the moisture further into the ignition barrel. A lot of the aviation lubricants might do the trick.
I don't think it's moisture in the ignition though, I believe it water did go in there as it's been raining a lot here but then it starts to rust. So I believe it's rust that's making it so hard to stick in.

Detrich

Happens to me too mike... I'm going to try some dw40 as that usually fixes it...

bmw675

add me to the list of who this happens too.

i also park inside at night and i have never rode in the rain, heavy fog once but never rain. and when i wash it im careful not to get any/much up near the guages.
i think its just a matter of drying out more than moisture locking it up.
i think a lubricant would work, ive just never got around to it yet.

Spunky99

You guys got me paranoid...I put a squirt of LPS in my keylock today.....;)

owldaddy

My switch was sticky too, I just placed the key in a bottle of graphite I have for this kind of thing, problem solved. My problem wasn't because of water or rust, since I don't use a hose to wash the bike, and it hasn't been out in the weather. These switches just seem to be a little tight.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MikeN02

I actually have all three. I ride in the rain, leave it out in the rain, and wash it with a hose.

About 6,700 miles now, it's not anything major but it still drives me nuts trying to shove the key in there.

streetmaster

Steer clear of WD40 (or any 'wd' type lubricant. Ask any locksmith. Most lubes actually attract dust ect & this can damage the lock. Try rubbing some soap on the key to act as a lube. this will go into the barrel as you insert the key. May take a few goes to work in fully.
P.S. Locksmiths usually recommend powdered graphite. Ok if the switch is separate from the lock, but if they are combined, the graphite can cause a short as it is a great conductor of electricity!!