I need a little reassurance on the bike I bought.... :(

Superzoom

You know, when I get my first scratch on a vehicle, I am both annoyed and relieved. I'm relieved that my bike or car is no longer perfect, and that I don't have to worry about keeping it that way.

I find it's impossible not to get scratches on a vehicle. My Subaru Forester has at least twenty little dents, dings and scratches on it, and I didn't put on a single one of them. Pretty much all from leaving it parked.

I completely agree with what you said. I feel like that as well with other vehicles I purchase.

I think I'm going to just drop the idea of trying to get this fixed financially... I mean, the break pedal is only a few inches off. I can try and fix that.

At least it's only the plastic that was damaged.

Detrich

the scratch lines under the front turn signal leads me to believe the bike may have been tipped over at a stand-still or very slow speed. (i've replaced those enough times to know what they look like after that happens... hahahaha.) also, check the bar ends and the lever tips for scuffs. any kind of light scuffing on those means it's been gently tipped. that said, the good news is our bike is very tip resilient. stationary tips or very slow speed tips most likely won't do any mechanical damage... mostly just annoying, minor cosmetic damage.

yamaha windshields are made from the shittiest grade plastic. just touching it with your finger will scratch it- much less wiping with a micro fiber towel... LOL (same shit on my R6.) we just gotta be willing to swap out new screens periodically when the old one gets scratched to shit- cuz it will at some point. the fairings i would try buffing with a polisher first. if it really bothers you and won't buff out, then consider replacing them.

am sorry you had to deal with these problems. the most important thing tho, is to get the bike safety inspected by a dealer. as long as it's safe to ride, everything else can be dealt with and are just cosmetic...

See red

It looks and sounds like low speed tip overs, which I do consider to be "dropped". You've clearly been ripped off. The marks indicate that the bike was in motion when it hit the ground, although it was at a slow speed. A bent foot peg is an obvious sign of a tip over or crash.

Good luck with coming to some sort of agreement. I think you're justifiably upset, as the vendor lied to you.
I would disagree, a low speed drop would still tear up the paint in more than a couple of scratches. I am guessing it was a bush or a garage kept bike. My kid knocked a rake over and gave mine a mark on the back rack, not dropped just a rake handle. If you got the bike that cheap its decent, go have it buffed out and it may be fine. Or do like me and by a quart of paint and get a shop to respray it. Maybe a hundred bucks. I have marks on mine from camping, riding, and plain just going to work and home.

Your choice but I wouldn't sweat scratches. Really, I always buy a bike AFTER I go and see it.

Lefty

Ya, to me it looks like it was tipped over on the right side. You can tell by the marks under the right turn signal light. As for the the scratches, you might be able to buff them out.

Good price though, cosmetic damage is not a big deal, ...mechanical, now that's a different story.

Cheers.

Jots S.R.M.C.

This is jsut my opinion..

4400 plus shipping with super low miles..

Right on you got a good deal ( My opinion )...

You can fix that stuff up no problem..

What would I do about the brake lever? - I would get a long slender bar and bend it outwards .. be sure to put a towel on the inside of it that is touching your engine as to not scratch it.. and it woudlnt hurt to have it overlap the other side.. that would keep the bar from sliding on your brake ( metal to metal contact) - that would cause it to move around..

Nice bike.. Decent price... Don't sweat so much.. ride !

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Jots S.R.M.C.

i wish i could find a bike around that price with that little miles on it:/
Yeah my first thought is.. Are they liquidating bikes- Which happens.. Or is there something else wrong with that motorcycle..

If the thing is 100% legit that's awesome he got that bike... It's a great bike.. I love mine..

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

jocampo

I don't think the scratches are too bad. Also, it is difficult to tell if the seller lied or not.

If I was you, I would save the time and additional money, keep it as is. If the bike feels and ride well, that's cosmetic and you can fix it later.

b_who

it looks like it was dropped but id say on the showroom floor or a garage. i dropped my bike at a stop sign at a dead stop, just a straight on the side and the marks from a street would look like tiny indention's like when u fall on ur hands when your a kid and pushes the skin up and away but in this case the plastic would be pushed in a bit. that was about 9000 miles ago so im 99.99% sure your bike is fine and it sounds like you got a sweet deal on it

See red

Well..... if you are that unhappy then try to return it and pay full price to not have scratches? Up to you, but I would think it's not a bad deal.

Superzoom

Two words (or is it one?)... STREET FIGHTER!!!

I think you guys are right that it wasn't dropped at speed. But I do think it was tipped over at least, on one side at least. Someone mentioned the telltale signs on the turn signal, and I think it's true.

You might be able to touch up some of the scratches enough with a sharpie or some black touch up paint that you notice them a lot less.

I've said it before... If I ever do drop my bike, I'm going to strip off all the body work, get a round headlight, and make my bike into a cool, naked standard. So far, no drops in 12 000 km.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Captain_Kev

I firmly believe that the bike was dropped at a stop sign/light at a very very low speed... rider probably tried to try to keep it from tipping, but it went into the pavement despite his or her best efforts. The scratches on the bottom of the turn signal look exactly like mine when it went over in a parking lot while fully stopped... only difference is that someone was right there to help me pick it up before the fairing or brake lever hit (at only 150 lbs, adrenaline merely made the bike fall in slow motion).

You got a great deal on a fantastic bike... even though the seller lied, you still own a FZ6R. CONGRATULATIONS! :D :thumbup:

poWKaw

Got it for a steal mate, scuffs on the side no big deal replacement mirror/indicator would be exceptionally cheap (get yourself some pretty flushmounts) and then you come out on top, have a sweet bike at cheap price. That plus hopefully in a silver lining mood, if you ever are a spaz like me and drop it yourself you won't be nearly as devastated either (hopefully lol). Definitely would be happy about it if I were you regardless of being swindled, you still came out on top.

Rawknrohl

The bike has clearly been dumped, sorry bud. HOWEVER! There is good news here imho - the damage is minimal, and you did seem to get a decent deal assuming the bike _runs_ well. I'm sure it's money you dont want to spend, but if the fairing damage bothers you, you will never find a vehicle that is easier to re-paint than a bike, also you could find a sexy vinyl wrap! With two pairs of pliers/vice-grips and some cloth rags to protect the finish, bend the brake pedal back to where it's comfortable to use. I bought my fz6r brand new and the windshield was covered with fine scratches, never seen one that wasn't, a smoked replacement is a good fix for that if it bothers you. The other advice I have for you is look at/ride/grope every inch of a bike before you buy it, which is a little tough when buying from ebay. :p
P.S. Those long scratches on the fairing look like the previous owner had a poorly trained dog that liked to jump, wouldn't be the first time it's happened. Good luck with the bike, and keep in mind that you have a HUGE advantage over anyone else in your situation...You're part of the best motorcycle forum around, holler with any other questions... we're full of great ideas around here. :)