I just got toasted.

JSP

Super Moderator
Damn Mike! Thats twice now you have had her on the ground ya? Sucks! Sorry to hear.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

txjames

Elite Member

Detrich

i'm by no means any expert. but, i've learned from my own mishaps that (unless you are riding a bike that is equipped with ABS), u generally do not wanna step down hard or suddenly on the rear brake ever in any emergency braking situation or if the bike is doing anything except completely vertical and in a perfect straight line and on a perfectly clean road....

stepping down on the rear too much or too suddenly just kicks out the rear & knocks the bike off balance it seems... and, if there is any sand, gravel, or dirt involved it just gets exponentially more dangerous. i think it's much safer to think of your front brake as primary brake and always apply gentle taps to the rear brake to "supplement" the front as you are braking in a controlled manner...

either way, always avoid having to grab either brake by riding within your limits and controlling the speed and rev matching so that you are riding evenly and smoothly as much as possible.

in MSF, they drilled us on emergency stopping using both evenly, i know... <lol> but, try stepping on the rear brake going in a straight line over serious sand or gravel- even at under 5 mph, and you'll feel the rear want to start to kick out.

on the street, in the canyons, on mountain roads, you have to use caution when applying the rear. don't completely ignore the rear. but, it takes some time developing the right feel for how to apply it. practice makes perfect. and, i'm still trying to get better at it myself. lol

maybe some of the more expert guys can sound in on this topic- tho i know it's been discussed a million times already here.

Would every rider go down on that sand, or how should it be handled?

MikeN02

I'm glad you are okay; do you think the wind got knocked out of you or might you have a broken rib?

How fast do you think you were going and were you accelerating hard or maintaining speed or something in between? Would every rider go down on that sand, or how should it be handled? I know there is no magic formula for staying upright, but I would love (and thank you) for the opportunity to learn from other's mistakes in addition to my own.

Stay safe,

txjames
Yep, I got the wind knocked the crap out of me. I believe the sign that I broke with my body slowed my fall a bit, otherwise I'd be rolling more on the pavement.

I think I was going around 60ish, can't remember as I was looking through the turn. Maintaining speed then accelerating a little since I'm scared of the bike lifting. Not every rider would go down (the ones that ride slowly of course) but I was doing a spirited ride. FL barely has any twisties, mostly straights and that road is famous since it's sort of a "circuit".

I always use my front brakes and rarely use my rear even in an emergency.

Remember that it's not IF you go down, but when you do... What will you be wearing?

txjames

Elite Member

MikeN02

ATGATT is a great reminder. Yesterday I was going to go out w/ just my riding jacket, helmets, and boots; this site reminded me to wear ALL the gear even for a quick ride.

I know what you mean about Florida roads. I lived outside just Tampa for 12 years. The only "hills" are overpasses. Still, there are some pretty rides. I'd bet the ride through Ocala National Forest would be nice.

I live literally in the twisties now; great 2 lane roads to choose from. I'm exiting the turns at the same speed you were doing and I wouldn't call that overly aggressive.

I'm glad you are okay and wish you many more safe rides. When do you get your new bike or is this one getting repaired?
Going to get this one repaired. Here is my build progress thread if anyone is interested.

MikeN02's High Side Rebuild : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

b_who

MikeN02

Holy crap dude!!!
looking at how bad ur bike turned out im amazed you came out somewhat decent.:surrender:
Hope the rebuild goes well for you

is your insurance gonna help orrr?
No insurance, not required in FL.

I'm getting a lot of great deals and help on the forum.

iSpoolin

No insurance, not required in FL.

I'm getting a lot of great deals and help on the forum.
I hope you'll get insurance now.

What would you have done if your bike went through those peoples wall and caused thousands of dollars in damage?

Just because it's not required doesn't mean you shouldn't have it ;)

JSP

Super Moderator
I hope you'll get insurance now.

What would you have done if your bike went through those peoples wall and caused thousands of dollars in damage?

Just because it's not required doesn't mean you shouldn't have it ;)

He didn't learn the first time he wrecked with no ins. so don't hold your breath :D;)

Its worth it though Mike, really. Not sure how FL laws are if you hit someone else and have no ins. That could get messy. :surrender:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Spunky99

I pay PL/PD for $218.00 a year in case I damage any property or people and it's my fault. Full coverage didn't seem to pay out anything the last time so I didn't go for it this time. I have medical insurance that will be used as my primary anyway even with full coverage.

Detrich

Yah. In add'n to liability, uninsured/ underinsured motorist coverage is a good add-on in case u get hit by someone without insurance.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

why does mikes thing at the bottom of his posts say RIP...what happened :(

Detrich

he didn't total his FZ-6R... he traded it in on that day for his 2008 R6.

i talked to Mike on FB, and he's ok. but, he's going thru some family issues at the moment. i won't go into details, because i dunno if he wants to share with everyone yet.

but, please send him your positive thoughts & prayers.