Hump or No Hump...

Detrich

for those of you who have suits or jackets that have an aero hump on the back, do you notice a significant decrease of wind drag at high speeds?

my fieldsheer revo sport suit doesn't have a hump, but my fieldsheer flex jacket does. at freeway speeds, for me, the wind is pretty strong regardless... so, it hasn't been completely apparent- tho i do seem to notice slightly less wind drag with the jacket with the hump...

did a search and didn't see much discussion on this topic. so, thought i'd open a thread to see what everyone's experience has been with- humps... <lol>

thoughts?

JSP

Super Moderator
My suit has the hump. Dont notice much really... I just see it as extra protection if I land on my back :D

Detrich

ok, so went for a night run with friends thru downtown LA after the meet last night... i had my jacket on, so i paid particular attention to wind drag on the freeways. and, you know- the hump does seem to make a noticeable difference...

i'm sure the riding position of the 6R prolly plays a factor as well- being more upright etc. but, compared to the suit, i do feel that at higher freeway speeds i definitely feel less wind drag and feel more planted with the hump... kind of a bummer, cuz that means now i'm going to have to at some point get another suit with a hump... <lol> sigh. i thought i was all set with all my gear. well, later down the road i guess...

Insure Gal

Funny story.......

There's a guy I know here that has a one piece suit with the wind foiler on the back.
He was down town in front of a coffee joint that a lot of bikers frequent one night when The local "crazy lady" that hangs out down there came over and said

"Look at em, God love em in his little Transformer suit! God love ya! Ya looks like a little shark, you do.. A little shark right outta da water!"

Detrich

hahahahaha... yah, i know what you mean. when i bought the fieldsheer flex jacket initially i was like, da-hamn- that is a big hump on the back! i'm going to be the hunchback of notre dame! <lol>

but, i got used it very fast. and, it looks like a motogp top, so it's all good. now that i've really fieldtested both hump and no hump, i'm definitely going with the hump from here on out. at 75+ mph, i definitely feel more stable and less wind drag when i have the hump on.

Heineken

Elite Member

Detrich

lol... i know... when i tried on my revo suit in the store, my gf (ex now) laughed so loud that almost the entire store could hear it. so embarassing! one of the sales guys had to come by and hush her up... <lol>

but, hey- i love my skin and plan on keeping it. i'd rather be lookin like a power ranger than that girl who went down in a bikini & spent a year getting skin graphs... it's a no brainer if u ask me. :)

go pandas! lol....

72racer

Elite Member

vitrox

i have no speedhump on the street, and I have one on the track.. no reason to have it on the street, you don't go fast enough to even benefit from it. And you look pretty ridiculous when its not a 1pc suit.

Stephenfz6r

No hump other than the one from the heavy duty spine protector I put in to replace the Original thin foam crap that came in the jacket. For some reason they scrimped on that part of the jacket. The rest of the jacket is top notch. It may be that a thick spine protector adds a lot of weight to an already heavy jacket.:Sport:

Detrich

Has anyone had experience with a custom race suit maker called www.tiltcustoms.com? They make custom & replica suits for $500, and the customer reviews seem good. Am thinking of getting one, and was just wondering if anyone here has used them b4?