HOWTO: Install Graves AIS Blockoffs

kardsen

OMG this saved my ***. I tore the bike down.. Got to the hoses, didn't know what exactly to take off after that.

Thanks!

Jkd91

I just bought a fz6r 2 weeks ago and saw these blocking plates..
You don't need to use them..
Just get a hose block off from supercheap and a hose clamp.. Done..
Did the exact thing today with spares at home..

Attachments

TexanFZ6R

Does this affect emissions or anything negatively? Like when I take it for the yearly inspection here in Texas (unless they get rid of them. Fingers crossed lol), will they cause me to fail or have a harder time passing? I HATE the popping on decel but I'd rather not toss the AIS back on for an emissions test every year.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
FWIW the main reason AIS blocking plates are installed is to get a proper O2 reading when on the dyno and/or using an O2 data logger as the added air fouls up testing making it look lean when it is not.

TexanFZ6R

I installed mine today (not graves, but block off plates none the less). I'm not happy with it. I expected a good decrease in the popping sound. It is definitely different, but not any better. It actually sounds like a backfire now. Seems like an actual dyno tune is the best thing I can do at this point. I HATE HATE HATE the popping lol. I expected too much out of this I guess.

Anyways, I have a tip for those of you who haven't done this yet. You don't need to remove the tank or even set it off to the side. Just undo the two front tank bolts, tiltt the tank back and undo the two electrical connectors, and put something (like a backpack) where the seats would be. I don't have a rear stand so my bike was leaning to the side. To keep the tank from slipping to the side at all, I used a short bungee cord (like the picture shows)

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

TexanFZ6R

Which map are you running? I have a viper exhaust, fz6 cams, airbox mod, vstacks, etc with very little popping. I get some under really hard decel, but not a lot. Under normal riding I get little to none. I am running a map specifically for my setup, but not dyno tuned. Which is love to do (should be hitting 80+ rwhp). I ran advanced gear rev b , before I changed cams. Also running pc5 for fueling.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Marthy's adv gear rev b on the pcV. Two bros exhaust, stock air filter, block off plates. It's not horrible. After riding it few days it really did get rid of a lot. I notice it pops a lot under deccel around 4grand. I think I just expected it to eliminate almost all of the popping. When I went for a test ride and hear popping it pissed me off. It took me an hour in 95 degree humid weather and I was disappointed lol.

TN6R

I did this mod two months ago using black path aluminum plates. I also have the marthy exhaust. I rarely get a pop now and when I do it's only a quick pop or two, and after decelerating from hard riding. Are you sure they seated properly? Did you seal off that casing nipple after installing the plates as well?

TexanFZ6R

I did this mod two months ago using black path aluminum plates. I also have the marthy exhaust. I rarely get a pop now and when I do it's only a quick pop or two, and after decelerating from hard riding. Are you sure they seated properly? Did you seal off that casing nipple after installing the plates as well?
The nipple on the airbox lid?

TexanFZ6R

If so, yes. The rubber cap they sent was a little snug and I think there was a small tear in the side from me trying to get it on. But the small tear is near the open end of the cap itself with plenty of "meat" left. So I don't think that's the problem

TN6R

You might have to go to the dyno and tune the popping out completely. I'm not using a power commander or other type of fuel controller so that may be the difference. I know marthy' maps are good but they aren't tuned to your specific bike's exact mods or specs. I think that's how it is anyway. I remember tuning one of my cars way back after hopping it up and I used one of the admin's maps which was a general plug and play. It didn't work for me too well so I dyno tuned it and it was perfect after. Good luck with it whichever way you go.

sti491

Am I just dumb or am I not seeing any photos in this post?
Look up my posts and you can see pics. I used Black Path Block offs. Not hard to do. Change your plugs while you are in there.

texas09fz6r

This was a great how to. I did this tonight along with the Airbox mod and k/n filter. It's been raining for a week but I am looking forward to riding and seeing how it goes.

sti491

Oh, just to get back to the OP, I do get some popping and gurgling on hard deceleration, with my block off plates. I believe it's a function of a slightly rich map using the Adv Gear Rev B Marthy map. A little rich is a good thing.

I have a pro tuned 340 WTQ 336 WHP 2004 Sti. Before the protune using off the shelf Cobb maps it backfired a bunch and sometimes shot flames due to the safe, but rich Cobb maps. After the pro-tune by Agile Performance, it rarely actually backfires, and only has slight gurgles on deceleration. On that car with my mods it made a HUGE power and smoothness difference. But, the Cobb tuning software gives the experienced tuner A LOT of variables to tune... way more than what I understand can be done with our bikes.

Given what is adjustable on our bikes with a Dyno tune and how good the Adv Gear Rev B map is, I doubt it's worth the full price for a dyno tune. I am sure it may be slightly better, but doubt it's a huge difference. I'd love to hear from someone that has done it with a similar set up that we are talking about.

For me, I actually like the hard decel sounds my bike make now with my Delkevic D70 can.