How's your stock battery holding up?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

24KMACH

The battery is still hanging in there on the 6er but our 2010 Ford Fusion died with one month left on the three year warranty. Ford replaced it for free.:D

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

latony007

i am confused here, my bike just had its one year birthday and when i went out this weekend after riding 30 minutes to my destination it would not start. We have no winters here AND i keep it on a tender all the time. I got there and turned it off, then wanted to change my parking spot so tried to restart it and nothing. Shouldnt the battery be recharging during that 30 minute ride? I had rode is last the weekend before and did not tender it this time but it was only off the tender for 5 or 6 days. I think this battery was bad from the get go because when i took it home it took 5 or 6 days for it to show charged on the tender!
Anyway assuming the dealer is not going to replace it for free anyone have a good batter recommendation?

abyss1406

i am confused here, my bike just had its one year birthday and when i went out this weekend after riding 30 minutes to my destination it would not start. We have no winters here AND i keep it on a tender all the time. I got there and turned it off, then wanted to change my parking spot so tried to restart it and nothing. Shouldnt the battery be recharging during that 30 minute ride? I had rode is last the weekend before and did not tender it this time but it was only off the tender for 5 or 6 days. I think this battery was bad from the get go because when i took it home it took 5 or 6 days for it to show charged on the tender!
Anyway assuming the dealer is not going to replace it for free anyone have a good batter recommendation?
tenders do not charge batteries, they keep hold of a charge. i.e if you battery was at 12v it'll maintain a 12v charge. 30 min rides with recharge the battery but it depends at what rpm your operating at. Im still on my OEM battery and have 36K on my bike and its been 2 years and 6 months.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

Fizzer6R

tenders do not charge batteries, they keep hold of a charge. i.e if you battery was at 12v it'll maintain a 12v charge. 30 min rides with recharge the battery but it depends at what rpm your operating at. Im still on my OEM battery and have 36K on my bike and its been 2 years and 6 months.
they don't? thought the whole idea of them was to fully charge, then maintain...

edit: dart beat me to it while I was double checking to be sure :cool:

Fizzer6R

do you have an actual battery tender or another brand? reason asking is heard they are not all the same, some will over charge and kill the battery.

should be able to get a Sealed AGM for $40.

latony007

do you have an actual battery tender or another brand? reason asking is heard they are not all the same, some will over charge and kill the battery.

should be able to get a Sealed AGM for $40.
on that bike i use the actual battery tender jr. on my cruiser its another brand but seems pretty identical. Everyone elses battery seemed to last for years so why mine would get stuck after 1 i dont know. Especially since i have it tendered most the time and ride it every weekend. it has LEDs on it but they have been on there for 8 or 9 months with no issue and they turn off with the key so im pretty confident that is not the problem.

fz6guy

Mine is still oem. 09 fz6r. I don't use a tender and I leave it in the bike. Never had an issue so far. Battery has been awesome

Fizzer6R

Mine is still oem. 09 fz6r. I don't use a tender and I leave it in the bike. Never had an issue so far. Battery has been awesome
that's great, did you buy new in 09 or later as left over? also, is it used daily, weekly, monthly... how long has it sat unused? assume you are in Canada, would be rare surviving winters w/o a tender.

lots of factors affect battery life.

GreyAlien

Elite Member

sammy56

I am the originally owner of a 2009 FZ6R (purchased in March 2010)....only have 16,000 miles on the bike (have not ridden enough the past 18 months).
Original battery and zero issues...original chain and sprocket and zero issues....bike rides like a dream!

LB

fz6guy

that's great, did you buy new in 09 or later as left over? also, is it used daily, weekly, monthly... how long has it sat unused? assume you are in Canada, would be rare surviving winters w/o a tender.

lots of factors affect battery life.
Bought it used just over two years ago. Bike was used weekly until last year. Last year I rode it only a couple times. This year I've been on it 4-5 times. This past winter it sat 3 months without start up. No tender used. Bike is always in the garage under a cover. Hopefully it will get more use next year

latony007

if anyone has suggestions on a quality replacement let me know. i usually like the sears die hards in my cars but i dont think they make bike batteries.

Fizzer6R

Bought it used just over two years ago. Bike was used weekly until last year. Last year I rode it only a couple times. This year I've been on it 4-5 times. This past winter it sat 3 months without start up. No tender used. Bike is always in the garage under a cover. Hopefully it will get more use next year
wow sitting for 3 months of winter is impressive, the battery gods smiled upon you/your bike :cool:

Fizzer6R

if anyone has suggestions on a quality replacement let me know. i usually like the sears die hards in my cars but i dont think they make bike batteries.
if you want ASAP, your local walmart prob. has a replacement, you might be able to look it up on their website.

I have a link saved, member JSP said he got one here and was happy with it, could msg him to see if still holding up as it's been cpl years
http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYT12B-4.html

personally I'd go cheap, this in Pomona, California
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEL-UT12B-4-YT12B-BS-12V-Battery-for-Yamaha-YZF-R6-R1-1999-2000-2001-2002-2003-/360651357547?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f87efd6b

amazon
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/TMS-Ct12b-4-Yt12b-bs-Motorcycle-Kawasaki/dp/B00527VSYS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1407432365&sr=1-1&keywords=YT12B-4"]http://www.amazon.com/TMS-Ct12b-4-Yt12b-bs-Motorcycle-Kawasaki/dp/B00527VSYS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1407432365&sr=1-1&keywords=YT12B-4[/ame]