How much did you pay for your FZ6R?

Vath

I just put a deposit on a 2013 in white with 981 miles on it. $4490 ($5015otd)
I'm thinking that's a good deal? They had two... Same year, same price. Other one had 2000 miles on it.
Is there a reason why they are basically giving these things away? New model coming out next year or something?
The bike is immaculate, not a mark on it. The clear plastics are showroom new and the pegs feelers aren't even scuffed.
Should I have any concerns here?
That's a great deal man! Congrats on joining our little community!

A lot of dealers believe that the FZ6R is going to be discontinued soon due the popularity of the FZ-07. The Yamaha dealer in my area doesn't even stock FZ6R's and hasn't since early last year.

I don't think you should be concerned about anything. These are great bikes! Not quite as popular as some of the competition but I love that you don't see them around every corner. I don't think Yamaha will be taking it out of the lineup either. It serves somewhat of a niche market and is the direct competition to the Ninja 650 and Honda CBR650 (all faired bikes).

warlok9

That's a great deal man! Congrats on joining our little community!

A lot of dealers believe that the FZ6R is going to be discontinued soon due the popularity of the FZ-07. The Yamaha dealer in my area doesn't even stock FZ6R's and hasn't since early last year.

I don't think you should be concerned about anything. These are great bikes! Not quite as popular as some of the competition but I love that you don't see them around every corner. I don't think Yamaha will be taking it out of the lineup either. It serves somewhat of a niche market and is the direct competition to the Ninja 650 and Honda CBR650 (all faired bikes).
Thanks for the reply. I have the bike on hold for a week while I mull over my decision. I love everything about the bike except: 1. The mirrors look like insect antenna or bunny ears. 2. The rear swingarm is ugly, just an Eco box unit. 3. Gigantic rear fender unit. 4. Wonky front turn signals. 5. Exhaust upgrade is a header-out or nothing prospect which is $$$.

I know all of these things can be addressed in the aftermarket (minus the swingarm) but that's a lot of upgrades that will need done ASAP because I'm not sure I can live with the bunny ears and insanely huge rear fender assembly even for a day. No offense to those who like the mirrors!;)

I have a deposit on a KTM rc390 at another dealer but it won't be in for another week or two. I love the looks of that bike and the ergos, although I like the ergo of the fz6r as well. I know the fz outclasses the rc390 in the engine dept. and it probably seems strange to lump the two together, but they both appeal to me and lots of fun can be had on both. Strictly on looks its the KTM all the way for me, but its hard to ignore the savings had on the fz. I basically get a new broken in bike for $3000 less than brand new, where with the KTM I'm paying about $1k over retail Ltd for less motor. ($5499 list, $6545 otd)

Vath

Thanks for the reply. I have the bike on hold for a week while I mull over my decision. I love everything about the bike except: 1. The mirrors look like insect antenna or bunny ears. 2. The rear swingarm is ugly, just an Eco box unit. 3. Gigantic rear fender unit. 4. Wonky front turn signals. 5. Exhaust upgrade is a header-out or nothing prospect which is $$$.

I know all of these things can be addressed in the aftermarket (minus the swingarm) but that's a lot of upgrades that will need done ASAP because I'm not sure I can live with the bunny ears and insanely huge rear fender assembly even for a day. No offense to those who like the mirrors!;)

I have a deposit on a KTM rc390 at another dealer but it won't be in for another week or two. I love the looks of that bike and the ergos, although I like the ergo of the fz6r as well. I know the fz outclasses the rc390 in the engine dept. and it probably seems strange to lump the two together, but they both appeal to me and lots of fun can be had on both. Strictly on looks its the KTM all the way for me, but its hard to ignore the savings had on the fz. I basically get a new broken in bike for $3000 less than brand new, where with the KTM I'm paying about $1k over retail Ltd for less motor. ($5499 list, $6545 otd)
From what I recall, the rc390 has a sportier riding position and there isn't much you can do to alter it. One of the things that sold me on the FZ6R was the fact that it has a nice riding position for commuting but you can easily rotate the handlebar mounts forward and the handlebar downward and have a much more aggressive riding position. (Which is where mine are set right now.) It also gives the bike a much better feeling handling wise.

I would agree with you though. I really dig KTM's style. And the rc390 is said to be one hella fun ride. Just, don't worry too much about how much more money you are going to put into a bike to make it what you want. I know it sounds odd to say that, but you will find things on every bike out there that you will want to change. Get used to never having any money now. :p

RadRider87

Picked up a 2014 fz6r red with 3 km for 8100 OTD Canadian. Also paid 2% for paying with credit card. Happy owner of a new ride.
Loving the mods section.
thanks.

fb

warlok9

From what I recall, the rc390 has a sportier riding position and there isn't much you can do to alter it. One of the things that sold me on the FZ6R was the fact that it has a nice riding position for commuting but you can easily rotate the handlebar mounts forward and the handlebar downward and have a much more aggressive riding position. (Which is where mine are set right now.) It also gives the bike a much better feeling handling wise.

I would agree with you though. I really dig KTM's style. And the rc390 is said to be one hella fun ride. Just, don't worry too much about how much more money you are going to put into a bike to make it what you want. I know it sounds odd to say that, but you will find things on every bike out there that you will want to change. Get used to never having any money now. :p
Thanks for your reply. I like the aggressive riding position on the RC390 since I'm coming from an sv650s which had an even steeper angle and higher pegs. So I'll have to adjust to the more upright position on the fz6r. I'm 6'1" 185lbs. They actually had a new R3 there as well for the same otd price as the fz6r and that is a mean looking little machine. Actually has sharper looks than the fz6r IMO. But then there is the power...

xorbe

A barely used (1.5k miles) '14 in Rapid Red for about $5500 private sale in California Bay Area. DMV will probably hit me for $440 in fees, so $5900-6000 total. Apparently it has an extended warranty, but I'd probably do my own wrenching anyways, unless it was some catastrophic failure. I didn't even check if it was transferable since I wasn't interested really.

Last edited:

warlok9

Update: I went to pick up my FZ6R last Thursday and something unexpected happened. They had 2 brand new R3's on the floor, a blue and a red. The look of the R3 is really sporty, and it actually looked incredible sitting there next to an R1. I spent the next 30 minutes comparing the FZ with the R3. I sat on each at least 20 times. The seated position felt better to me then the FZ and the R3 looked meaner and more aggressive IMO. The R3 was exactly $100 more out the door, so I bought the red R3!

Suck's breaking it in, but I'm loving it so far. Photo attached.

FYI, they had brand new 2015 FZ6R's on the floor for $5499 with no hidden fees. What gives? Has to be the most deeply discounted bike out there.

Attachments

Vath

Update: I went to pick up my FZ6R last Thursday and something unexpected happened. They had 2 brand new R3's on the floor, a blue and a red. The look of the R3 is really sporty, and it actually looked incredible sitting there next to an R1. I spent the next 30 minutes comparing the FZ with the R3. I sat on each at least 20 times. The seated position felt better to me then the FZ and the R3 looked meaner and more aggressive IMO. The R3 was exactly $100 more out the door, so I bought the red R3!

Suck's breaking it in, but I'm loving it so far. Photo attached.

FYI, they had brand new 2015 FZ6R's on the floor for $5499 with no hidden fees. What gives? Has to be the most deeply discounted bike out there.
Woah, congrats on the R3! They are seriously sick looking machines. If I didn't have some manhood issue with owning a smaller bike than my fiancee (She has an fz6r as well), I would definitly be trading for one of those things. Power be damned, the R3's are cool as hell.

Yeah, like I said I think the dealers are trying to get out from under the FZ6R's because there is a chance of it being the last year for them. A lot of rumors going around that Yamaha is going to release a faired version of the FZ-07 to replace it next year.

Congrats RadRider87 and xorbe! You guys will seriously enjoy your 6R's. I am loving wrenching on mine and the missus'!

ScootPHX

Yes! when I recently bought mine I went on a 100 mile trip and when I was going 60mph I was going to turn left at a light and I downshifted and if wouldn't shift no matter what I did. If i hit the shifter hard or soft it wouldn't shift. So I had to start it in 4th gear and it stalled and then i revved it really high and got it going and then I was able to downshift after that. I thought I was the only one.

dIGITAL dISCIPLE

$5,400 for 2014 with 800 miles.. I think I got a pretty decent deal! Spent 3k on mods and gear so far though.. So it's costing me a ton more lol

Low n loud

2013 $4275 3k miles from car dealer $2500 into it

Previous owner invested prolly $2500. Changed handle bars lowered. Full exhaust etc

Attachments

Low n loud

Warranty....

Picked my 2011 copper up lightly used from the dealership (391 miles) for $5300 OTD. The price includes 2 years of Yamaha warranty remaining from the original owner.
Hello was that purchased aftermarket from yamaha I'm wondering if I still have any warranty on my 2013 3k miles.

Fraze

Couldn't agree more. 1, 3 and 4 can all be done for about 100 bucks. I've had my 6R for about 2 months now and those were the first 3 things I did, so don't let that hold you back :) Its truly is a great all around bike.

Fraze

2010 blue with 14k, I paid $5400 this spring. (Ontario, Canada) bought it from the original owner who had the complete service records of oil changes etc. and original bill of sale. Bone stock, 2 new Dunlop's were put on last Sept, it had 2 windshields and a rear seat cowl. In this area that's seems to the ball park price used. I wanted one with no mods. Beats $7999 new I guess.

Last edited:

Thyrd

Can't Wait!

Put 200 down on my bike today. '11 Raven 6.5k miles. OTD 4951.99. Can't wait to pick it up next Saturday.

No one told me helmets and jackets were so damn pricey... Expensive to get into for sure.

I'll update pictures as I get them.

-Thyrd

Artfuldriver

Just got the title today

2012 Raven with 2,056 miles. PERFECT condition but no Mods. OTD for $4250. Been driving it for the past month around the neighborhood. Taking the day off tomorrow to go to the DMV and make it legal. I can't wait !