How hard is it to remove the rear wheel?

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Alex6

From reading your post I assume you had not replaced the sprockets. It is advised/recommended that the chain is always replaced along with the sprockets. Please check this out.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
I think its absolutely fine to go 2 chains per sprocket set.

To your question... VERY easy. Loosen up everything just like adjusting the chain. I dont recall if there is anything with the brake caliper, etc holding it on, but just pull the axle out, pull the chain off and roll the tire out.

DONT touch your brake with the rotor out of the caliper. They will squish together and its nice and fun trying to get them separated. ;)

Just remember the order and which side the spacers, etc are on and put it back on the same way. (just going by memory, have had a few bikes since the 6R)

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

bmw675

Just lossen the adjusters and remove the axle, push the wheel forward, so that you can walk the chain off the rear sprocket. Then just pull the wheel back and out.
Some other tips:

When you get the wheel out, pull the sprocket/carrier and Cush drive off. It's just sitting in there, and you don't want it falling out unexpectedly.

After removal, slide the axle back in. One less thing to trip on, and it helps hold the caliper bracket in place.

Everything in reverse to put back on. Helps to support the wheel with your foot, so you can raise and lower the wheel to get the axle back in.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

bmw675

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Yeah, just pull those off. No bolts or anything, just pressure. That way they dont fall out at the shop and get lost.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bmw675

Yeah, just pull those off. No bolts or anything, just pressure. That way they dont fall out at the shop and get lost.
Lol. First time I removed a wheel, I learned that it just sits in there the hard way. I went to roll the tire to my truck, and the sprocket fell out and went the other way. The "jumping beans" just scattered every which direction. :eek:

RoadTrip

I replace the rear on my gixxer every 2K, I let the dealer do it; it's quite a hassle, I actually make 2 trips, one to drop off new tire (in the truck) and one to take the bike. Initially, I got both front and rear stands to do this work myself, but after watching youtube procedures, I just said nah.. Still was going to require at least one trip to the shop, and it is $30 for a tire off the bike, and $50 on the bike, so it wasn't big enough cost savings.

Now if you got your own tire changer, one of those deluxe no Mar models, bolted to your garage floor, that would be badass - but, at $500, it takes quite a few tire changes to break even.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

bmw675

wow! how much does it cost everyone that goes to a dealer for tire replacement?
The place I get all my stuff done it was less than $50 total to replace my tires, with them still on the bike!
I've had one tire replaced at a dealer. It was $40 if I brought them the wheel, $80 if I brought the bike.

Luckily, if you buy your tires at the track, they mount them for free (if you pull the wheels off). But I think they charge you $20 if you bring them your own tires.

RavenriderFZ6R

instructions

I'm a former U.S. Army helicopter mechanic and current entry level auto mechanic at a dealership I been making how to videos on my spare time. It just so happens that I made one for how to remove the rear tire on the FZ6R. Hopefully this helps a rider out there. Here is the link

https://youtu.be/vDtZBu1GjR8