How does mesh hold up in a crash?

Spunky99

Mine didn't hold up too good. Frank Thomas. Seams ripped out and tried to turn me into Brittany.

XTRAWLD

Thank you for this. After the threads from yesterday I was trying to find reviews (edit: actual crash durability) of similar gear I currently wear.

Last edited:

iSpoolin

It goes like this. Just use the grade scale from school lol

A-Full Leather
B-Textile/Leather Blend
C-Textile
F-Mesh

sammy56

There is nothing wrong with good quality mesh. You likely need to better match the gear with the type of riding you do.
Better advice would be to wear quality gear and at a level of comfort that does not detract from rider awareness.
No offense, but giving mesh gear an "F" grade is simply bad advice.

LB

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

sammy56

Stupid question alert!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

What's the difference between textile and mesh?
Textile does not necessarily allow for air flow, whereas Mesh, which is a textile and sometimes simply referred to as "Textile Mesh", allows for abundant air flow. Textile Mesh typically has no mesh in impact areas such as shoulders, elbows and knees and in those areas is as durable a textile as possible.

LB

JSP

Super Moderator
Textiles are usually only good for one wreck. They will save your butt for sure, but you will be replacing them most likely.

Leather is the best option as it can hold up in a crash. My leather suit didnt have a single scratch on it after my wreck.

But for practicality, textiles are a great option. :thumbup: Cheaper and DO work.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

sammy56

That's what I have Textile mesh (motoboss airspeed) with Frank Tommas pants. Might start to put money aside for better quality gears...
Yeah...
Motoboss, Frank Thomas and now Bilt are really just Cycle Gear store brands. You are much better off with brands such as Olympia, Revit, Cortech and Joe Rocket is not bad. Basically stick with a brand you can get at many retailers and that are not likely the least expensive...probably decent quality.

LB

Spunky99

Yeah...
Motoboss, Frank Thomas and now Bilt are really just Cycle Gear store brands. You are much better off with brands such as Olympia, Revit, Cortech and Joe Rocket is not bad. Basically stick with a brand you can get at many retailers and that are not likely the least expensive...probably decent quality.

LB
I decided to replace the Frank Thomas pants basically because they fit too loose and have weak seams and they are torn up. I opted for this brand and model for 2 reasons. First, almost all of the other nice pants are out of stock in XL and #2 the features in bold were very important to me.

AGV Sport Telluride H2O Vented Pants

100% 600-D polyester strengthened woven textile pant for durability and comfort
Knee area and the inside of the lower leg area are reinforced with highly abrasion resistant ballistic nylon
Removable waterproof and breathable Reissa liner zips in over a permanent mesh lining
Removable quilted and warm liner zips in over a Reissa waterproof liner
Pant may be worn with no lining for warmer days or with the waterproof liner for warm and wet days or with the waterproof liner and quilted liner for truly nasty days
Zip open air vents are positioned on the front and rear of each leg
Pleated textile panels are used in multiple locations for the finest non-binding fit possible
CE approved knee pads
10mm thick memory foam hips and lower back pad
Heavy duty seam construction for maximum tear resistance
World famous YKK zippers
Zip open lower legs
Extra long zipper pulls are used on all zippers
Velcro secured flap over the fly
Two front hand warmer pockets
Adjustable Velcro waist tabs
Waist connection zipper for jacket attachment

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

See red

Depends, If you by balistic mesh it will be abrasion reistant much more than you think. I know they also sell a mesh with steel strand for more resistance to tearing. anyways, ANY material can get an "f".... thickness, grade of material, how it is stitched, it all matters.

but, go on with your bad self...

Answer this one, which one will save or reduce injury when you are going 60 to 70 and hit ANY immobile object? sudden stops are a bitch. LMAO!!!!!!!

JSP

Super Moderator
Depends, If you by balistic mesh it will be abrasion reistant much more than you think. I know they also sell a mesh with steel strand for more resistance to tearing. anyways, ANY material can get an "f".... thickness, grade of material, how it is stitched, it all matters.

but, go on with your bad self...

Answer this one, which one will save or reduce injury when you are going 60 to 70 and hit ANY immobile object? sudden stops are a bitch. LMAO!!!!!!!
A metal cage around you with 4 wheels? ;)