How do i....

roidrage

Drain the fork fluid and what should i put in that will make it not as soft in front and how much of it do i need? want to make it a bit stiffer before i go to the track in two weeks. ALready flushed the front and rear brake fluid, got new pads and put in engine ice for coolant. Got stomp pads coming and bt003 tires. Cant wait.

JSP

Super Moderator
You are supposed to take the forks off and turn them upside down and then compress the forks to get all of the fluid/crap out. If you want to do it the lazy way, get a long tube/suction device and suck it out. (i recommend doing it right). If you are going in anyways, replace the springs with better aftermarket. Makes a huge difference.

jamewatson

You are supposed to take the forks off and turn them upside down and then compress the forks to get all of the fluid/crap out. If you want to do it the lazy way, get a long tube/suction device and suck it out. (i recommend doing it right). If you are going in anyways, replace the springs with better aftermarket. Makes a huge difference.

I am totally agree with jspansel, you have should to take out the fluid/crap from forks, it is the best ways.

short_guy

Turkey baster with a long piece of flexible tubing from Home Depot or an aquarium / pet store should do the trick. Worked wonders on my cruiser (though the Thanksgiving turkey sure sucked this year.)

Chucker

Drain the fork fluid and what should i put in that will make it not as soft in front and how much of it do i need? want to make it a bit stiffer before i go to the track in two weeks. ALready flushed the front and rear brake fluid, got new pads and put in engine ice for coolant. Got stomp pads coming and bt003 tires. Cant wait.
I've never added oil to stiffen the forks, but have looked into it as I'm thinking I might. I've read that you should add 10cc to each fork and try it. Add 10cc again if needed.

Does anyone know if you can get after market fork caps with an air valve stem? I would think that if it's as easy as just adding the stem, someone would have done it.

Spunky99

I've never added oil to stiffen the forks, but have looked into it as I'm thinking I might. I've read that you should add 10cc to each fork and try it. Add 10cc again if needed.

Does anyone know if you can get after market fork caps with an air valve stem? I would think that if it's as easy as just adding the stem, someone would have done it.
Do not overfill the forks.....NO NO NO.....it will just make the fork travel shorter and shorter. The more oil you put in, the less travel the forks have until they bottom out.

In the service manual it describes how to verify the proper oil level. It is supposed to be a certain amount from the top of the fork tube and there is a total volume in CC as well. Use some oil about 5w more than stock to stifin the rebound. I think I went to 15W and I used the RaceTech oil which was really nice stuff. I also installed RaceTech springs and spacers and set the sag properly on the front and rear shocks.