Hot Seat!

dndfindley

Okay, I've done a search and have gone thru the other forums (tech etc) and I can find nothing related to having an unwanted hot seat. Am I the only one with this problem or do all of you have a higher pain threshold than I? The problem is that after about 15 minutes of riding the seat begins to heat up due to engine heat. It takes some of the enjoyment away on long rides (long being 2 hours or more). It never becomes unbearable but it is always there and it is more than just warm. This is a good problem to have when it's 40 degrees outside but not when it's 95. Any ideas? BTW I raised the seat the allowable 1 inch hoping that giving the air room to circulate underneath would help - it didn't. David

kevin8198

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
What are you wearing for pants? I've never experienced my seat getting that hot... even on my R6.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member
M

mas4489

Hot seat right side

I am right there with ya, after about 30 minutes of riding there is some heat on the right side of the seat. i pretty much deal with it, thought about rasing my seat to let some air in but havent yet.

Deanohh

My FZ1 was terrible for heating the seat. It got uncomfortably hot. If a motor makes power it makes heat too, so I guess it has to go somewhere.

dndfindley

What are you wearing for pants? I've never experienced my seat getting that hot... even on my R6.
I wear blue jeans. Is this something I should take up with the service department at the dealership? It goes in this next week for the 600 mile maintenance interval. David

dndfindley

I haven't experienced the seat heating up either, but it hasn't broken past low 70s yet either. My riding pants also shield me pretty well from the heat of the engine. What is your engine temp running on average? Mine sits around 180 on the freeway and hits around 215 on the surface streets right now. The radiator fan kicks in at 210. If it's running normal looking temperatures and you're still noticing a lot of heat in the seat, I'd use Kevin's idea. Maybe buy a space blanket for around 6 bucks and cut it to fit in the tray under the seat.
Temps are 185 to 191 at speed away from traffic but runs high 190's even at speed if I'm behind a vehicle. I have to be in clean air to get below 190. In city traffic it runs 210 to 215. The fan kicks on/off at about 201. David

dndfindley

Had the 600 mile maintenance done today. Everything checked out okay. Asked the service manager about the hot seat and he had the tech doing the service check for abnormalies. He found none. He said they have received no complaints on the seat. Guess I'll have to live with it. I used to have a Spyder which had a big wide soft seat. No heat problems with the seat but it would cook your feet in the summer unless you wore boots which I did and then it was bearable. I'll get used to the FZ seat I guess. At least my feet stay comfortable in summer, even when wearing sneakers. On the bright side it should be a help come winter:) David

2wheelie

I had this problem with the Ninja ZX6R in the summertime, and even much worse was the FZ6. One of the reasons I sold it cas it was not possible to seat on it on a long rides in the summer. On 6R I can feel some heat if riding down low, like in traffic or such, but it is bearable, and after a minute of normal riding it cools off. Also, you can put a sit beads (buy it for a car and cut it off). this will take some heat off your butt too.

Chucker

I've never experienced a problem with my seat, even after a few hours. Does it happen more after you eat beans?

F

FZ6R_Blue

i have been out when it was 100 and my seat didn't get hot at all. the only time my seat gets hot is when i get off of the bike. 30seconds in the sun on the black seat will Cook your buns real fast.
i know people who have picked up small scraps of sheep skin keeps it real cool

armado

Same hot seat here!

Just got a used 2009 Yamaha FZ6R yesterday with 5k on it. Was riding home in the city traffic and the seat gets really hot. The Engine temp was hovering around 98 to 100 degrees celsius.

djf18374

I have not had the issue until this spring/summer. I bought the bike last fall, and only rode it in 80 degree or less temps. Now that it is hot out, on longer trips my seat gets roasty toasty hot...I actually have to stand up for a few seconds to cool it off while riding or it gets pretty uncomfortable :eek: I wonder if I were to use the adjustment and raise the seat up a bit, if that would get enough airflow to keep the seat at a reasonable temp??? I might try that ;)

y0uki11edkenny

you could try raising the seat the 1/2 inch or whatever. All you have to do is flip some brackets on the bottom of the seat and now you have more separation and also it leaves a little more gap to let air under it.:D

F

FZ6R_Blue

My seat is all the way down and i have been on 150+ mile rides in 80+ temps i have yet to notice anything

CraigEgg

Mine gets hot....but then again, I live in Tucson. It gets 115 degrees here....So, I think just everything is hot.

Craig

dndfindley

I have not had the issue until this spring/summer. I bought the bike last fall, and only rode it in 80 degree or less temps. Now that it is hot out, on longer trips my seat gets roasty toasty hot...I actually have to stand up for a few seconds to cool it off while riding or it gets pretty uncomfortable :eek: I wonder if I were to use the adjustment and raise the seat up a bit, if that would get enough airflow to keep the seat at a reasonable temp??? I might try that ;)
You can raise the seat 1 inch. Easy to do and explains it in the owner's manual. I have done that. Maybe a few degrees less hot but not much. In city traffic I have to stand up at stoplights. It is bearable on the highway. David

em21701

I only notice a hot breeze when the fan kicks on in traffic. Hanging off in the twistys will give your cheeks a cool breeze :D