Hid install is a painful lesson learned

Ricenoodle

So i couldn't stand stock halogen any longer and it won't be after the summer until i can send Rabbitman my headlight to be retrofitted, i decided to install DDM tuning 35w H4 Hi/Lo Hids. It took way longer than expected. I read alot about the install and figured i've taken the side fairings off so how hard could it be, wrong. You basically have to strip the whole bike down to the frame to run the wires, had to tap the negative into the horn spade connector in order for it to work. and to top it off i started at 6 pm last night and have to be on base at 6 am, bike was still torn apart by 2 am. Lesson learned. For those that want to do this mod, Have some time and patience and don't do it the night before work if this is your only means of transportation. For those that have done this install with this kit, where did you tap the negative ground wire to? i tried bolting it onto something with bare metal but no luck, not even the ground for the protons, only the negative for the horn works for me, any negative drawbacks to this? no pun intended. :D

mdgreene2001

You can do your own retrofit like rabitman does for a lot less

Ricenoodle

True, but i support local businesses and not a single complaint from any of his lights so far. i certainly can't get mine to look as good as the years of experience on his. The retrofit is something i don't want to wing it on the fly cause i'm out here in Hawaii and parts and shipping cost alot, 1 mistake and i'm not going to work in the morning.

mdgreene2001

True. I'm pretty handy with my hands and I am pretty sure I can do a quality retrofit...

JSP

Super Moderator

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

mdgreene2001

Lets see em. Done one?
Not yet but I will. I can make my own kydex holsters, I can weld, I can build all sorts of custom stuff. I'm sure I can disamble my headlight and fit a projector hid kit to my bike

Ricenoodle

So the ddm tuning 35w hid h4 harness came with 2 sets of plugs, like for a car. the only way i can get it to power up is using the ground for the horn. I don't have the warm and fuzzy doing this. So is it safe to run a ground wire from the negative post of the battery terminal through the frame of the bike and using that for the ground wire needed for the headlight?

ArmyFZ6R

I have the same HIDs and i used a bracket on the left side of the bike. Its attached to the frame. I can take a picture tomorrow.

Ricenoodle

I have the same HIDs and i used a bracket on the left side of the bike. Its attached to the frame. I can take a picture tomorrow.
So just plug the ground wire to the bracket on the frame, no need for running to the battery since the chasis is grounded? If you could explain this bracket to me that'll be helpful since i am trying to fix this since right now i think it's unsafe. left fairing silver bracket that's U shaped?

ArmyFZ6R

yes is the silver one, u shaped. i would like to take a picture but we are having a storm here and my bike is outside.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

ArmyFZ6R

the silver bracket is between the tank and the air scoop.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

ArmyFZ6R

You can do it from over the bike without taking the fairings. Just take the top cover.Hopefully this can help you. The rain is not helping me here.

Attachments

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member