Hid install is a painful lesson learned

mdgreene2001

Ricenoodle

Good news is there's a second bolt that i was able to attach the ground wire to, worked perfectly. Yes i will try to drill dead center and buy another bolt from the yammy dealership down the street, thank god it's not a critical bolt.

ArmyFZ6R

Im glad you were able to fix it.:thumbup:

linkgt

The HID kit I bought was more "plug and play" and dont have to go to the battery (although i've read this is not good) Install was a bit easier.

Ricenoodle

Bought a screw extractor kit from home depot for $10, maybe another day i'll tackle this as i don't want to extract and have no bolt to put it in, i'm burnt out on working on the bike for a couple days.

SpawnXX

Premium Member
Last edited:

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

mdgreene2001

There are metal brackets on either side of your bike that your fairings mount onto. Closest to your legs while seated. Take them off, put the (common/ground) on the frame, the bracket over the top, wrench them down. Our bikes have a solid steel frame while most bikes have aluminum. Bad for them, good for us in terms of grounding. :thumbup:

As far as the doing it yourself vs. having Chad do it. I'm sure I could build a rocket ship given lots of time and materials; however, I had Chad do mine because he has done many and there are a lot of things you need to take into consideration when doing a retrofit. I do a lot of electronic jobs in my line of work and when it came to this I let the guy who has done them before, experienced all of the issues that could arise do it for me. Goodluck in your choice and anyone else looking to have this done/do it themselves.
Aluminum is a very good conductor. Most all new cars engines are aluminum and they all ground to the block. Steel rusts, and looses conductivity while aluminum does not. Explain to me why steel would be better frame than aluminum in terms of chassis ground... I'm a auto tech for Nissan, I know automotive electrical very well.

SpawnXX

Premium Member
Last edited:

mdgreene2001

I ground everything on the bike to the battery personally because its the best ground on the bike and I don't want to scuff the frame for bare metal. On a car it's not ethical to run all your grounds to the battery because of all the electrical on a car. Bike electrical is so simple and easy to do compared to say a new Nissan pathfinder which has like 20 computers and miles of wire...

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member