Help starting 09 FZ6R that was sitting

Hi all,

Having trouble getting my bike started after sitting 8 months or so. Emptied gas tank, put new fuel and sea foam in, replaced battery, new air filter, new spark plugs, checked fuses. It cranks but won’t turn over without adding starter fluid. Any ideas on what I should do next?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

jjmaine

Injectors clogged maybe? You can buy a complete throttle body w/ injectors and tps from a low mileage running bike off ebay for $30. Or I dont think its too hard to clean the injectors but Ive never had to do it.

Gas cap vent clogged? I know this can be an issue on carbed bikes…. Just tossing ideas out there

Injectors clogged maybe? You can buy a complete throttle body w/ injectors and tps from a low mileage running bike off ebay for $30. Or I dont think its too hard to clean the injectors but Ive never had to do it.

Gas cap vent clogged? I know this can be an issue on carbed bikes…. Just tossing ideas out there

I appreciate the help. I'm going to try replacing with ebay parts. How could I tell if the gas cap vent is clogged?

Also, do you know if the tank should continuously flow gas once the tank is disconnected from the fuel line underneath? I thought I'd just hold the tank over an empty can to drain it but only a small amount came out, then I had to pump the rest out. Again, very new to all this so just kind of learning how everything works, but definitely enjoying it.

jjmaine

The tank wont leak or flow fuel when you disconnect the line. If you have the tank off just open the cap and tip it upside down.🙂

The easiest way to test the gas cap vent is to open the cap and if the bike runs fine with the cap open but stalls when you close it then its clogged and causing a vacuum. My bet is on the injectors though. If the bike wants to start with starting fluid then its def. a fuel delivery issue.

jacksondavid8

If the bike cranks but doesn't start without starter fluid, it could mean a problem with fuel delivery or the carburetor. To resolve this, you should inspect the fuel lines, check for blockages or clogs in the fuel pump if applicable then examine the carburetor. Cleaning the carburetor yourself or seeking professional servicing might be beneficial. With continued effort, your bike should be running smoothly again quickly.

Just_Jim

If the bike cranks but doesn't start without starter fluid, it could mean a problem with fuel delivery or the carburetor. To resolve this, you should inspect the fuel lines, check for blockages or clogs in the fuel pump if applicable then examine the carburetor. Cleaning the carburetor yourself or seeking professional servicing might be beneficial. With continued effort, your bike should be running smoothly again quickly.
What carburetor? The FZ6R is fuel injected.