Help! She won't start!

davet7469

I had a big snow storm recently and the bike was outside covered, but by the end of the snow storm, it was almost completely covered. I tried starting it today, it's probably been 3 weeks since i last started it. I charged it and it said the battery was full after a few hours. I tried starting it and it wont start. It makes this clicking sound when the kill switch is on. When i try to start it nothing happens, but the speedometer display lights up. Turn signals won't blink. If i leave it on the charger for a bit and try to start it, it goes "egggghhhhhh". The sound happened to me before when the batteries were dead. What do you think i should start with first? or do you think i should just keep it on the charger even though it says its fully charged?

I had a big snow storm recently and the bike was outside covered, but by the end of the snow storm, it was almost completely covered. I tried starting it today, it's probably been 3 weeks since i last started it. I charged it and it said the battery was full after a few hours. I tried starting it and it wont start. It makes this clicking sound when the kill switch is on. When i try to start it nothing happens, but the speedometer display lights up. Turn signals won't blink. If i leave it on the charger for a bit and try to start it, it goes "egggghhhhhh". The sound happened to me before when the batteries were dead. What do you think i should start with first? or do you think i should just keep it on the charger even though it says its fully charged?
Are you fast charging the bike or trickle charging it? Maybe try jump starting it to see what happens. All the cold weather lately is hard on batteries and the really thick oil that is recommended for our bikes doesnt help the situation :D

lizardsbba

Have you checked your battery terminal connections? It's possible with all the snow and moisture that the terminals have corroded and that could cause you to not get enough current to the starter.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

davet7469

Have you checked your battery terminal connections? It's possible with all the snow and moisture that the terminals have corroded and that could cause you to not get enough current to the starter.
I didn't notice any corrosion when i pulled up the seat to check the voltage to see if it was charged enough. Also i was using the plug for easier access to the battery without having to pull up the seat. It came with the bike, but i do know it worked before the bike wouldnt start.

Last edited:

davet7469

Are you fast charging the bike or trickle charging it? Maybe try jump starting it to see what happens. All the cold weather lately is hard on batteries and the really thick oil that is recommended for our bikes doesnt help the situation :D
It's trickle charging ( takes forever!). Yeah i'll try that though.

davet7469

Acid batteries will freeze if cold enough....might want to pull yours out and look at it... I always take mine out during the winter and put it someplace in the house.
I just pulled the bike in the house and put it back on the trickle charger. Hopefully it works. Good advice too.

Rumpig

if it gets cold enough to freeze coolant it could crack the block. Water expands when it freezes which is why cars have welch plugs in the block.

If after sitting at room temp for 2 - 3 hours and its voltage is below 12.8v it needs charged. If while on the charger the voltage climbs to >13.4v quickly (15min), your battery is sulfated and needs replaced. As its not taking a charge!

The next obvious thing is cranking voltage. If you have the meter connected to the bike and turning the key ON drops it from static >12.8v to say 11.8v and then you hit the start button and it drops below 9v it is doomed!

I got 8 years out of the OEM battery and its never once been on a charger and sits for 3 - 4mo for winter un heated.

Charged batteries >12.8v don't freeze but under 12v and they are susceptible to damage when temps drop.

Last little bit of info:
Charging system on these bikes are weak. Keep in mind that its Current that charges a battery not voltage. So even tho you may observe a low voltage on battery it doesn't mean its bad. It's just taking a charge (assuming it cranks at a good rate)...
Let me know if you want more input on this topic. I seem to have gathered too much info! -shakes head-

davet7469

If after sitting at room temp for 2 - 3 hours and its voltage is below 12.8v it needs charged. If while on the charger the voltage climbs to >13.4v quickly (15min), your battery is sulfated and needs replaced. As its not taking a charge!

The next obvious thing is cranking voltage. If you have the meter connected to the bike and turning the key ON drops it from static >12.8v to say 11.8v and then you hit the start button and it drops below 9v it is doomed!

I got 8 years out of the OEM battery and its never once been on a charger and sits for 3 - 4mo for winter un heated.

Charged batteries >12.8v don't freeze but under 12v and they are susceptible to damage when temps drop.

Last little bit of info:
Charging system on these bikes are weak. Keep in mind that its Current that charges a battery not voltage. So even tho you may observe a low voltage on battery it doesn't mean its bad. It's just taking a charge (assuming it cranks at a good rate)...
Let me know if you want more input on this topic. I seem to have gathered too much info! -shakes head-
nice info! I did end up getting the bike started. I took the battery out and tried charging it that way and it worked, but it got up past 14 while on the charger. So that means its sulfated even though the bike started after i put it back on?