Help! Painting rear suspension spring?

JJ Fz6r

Whats up with the red colored coil in our rear suspension. Has anyone painted it to their liking? :) If so is there a write-up about it already? Or is it even possible to disassemble it? and paint will crack when spring is compressed? Im sure im not the only one wondering why they wouldn't paint it a neutral color in the first place :spank:

GOT IT PAINTED' PICS LATER IN POST :D

Last edited:

cavcuz05

Whats up with the red colored coil in our rear suspension. Has anyone painted it to their liking? :) If so is there a write-up about it already? Or is it even possible to disassemble it? and paint will crack when spring is compressed? Im sure im not the only one wondering why they wouldn't paint it a neutral color in the first place :spank:

im sure there is a way to get that coil off...your best bet as far as paint is to get it powdercoated...it will last 10x as long and rattle canning it. Otherwise i would just leave it alone and save the time and money doing something else on the bike...my .02 :D

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Probably would not work too well painting it since it compresses a lot. Would most likely crack and look bad. A good powder coat job may work?

Hyper Pro makes an upgrades spring and you can ask for it in black. That is what I did. Looked MUCH better.

RooKie

Oh man! You want a black one? I want a red one! :D Too bad we don't live near each other so we can swap:(. If you don't want to spend the money on a new spring you can send me yours and I'll send you mine as soon as I get it swapped. I would send you mine at the same time as you send me yours, but my 6R is my only means of transportation. If you're interested, please PM me!

JJ Fz6r

Probably would not work too well painting it since it compresses a lot. Would most likely crack and look bad. A good powder coat job may work?

Hyper Pro makes an upgrades spring and you can ask for it in black. That is what I did. Looked MUCH better.

jspansel, did the kit come with the coil only or the whole suspension assembly?How does it differ the riding? (made for heavier riders? I dont need that :p) Since if its the coil only theres a way to get the old coil out? Did you install it yourself? And do you have a link to the site? Thanks :D

JSP

Super Moderator
jspansel, did the kit come with the coil only or the whole suspension assembly?How does it differ the riding? (made for heavier riders? I dont need that :p) Since if its the coil only theres a way to get the old coil out? Did you install it yourself? And do you have a link to the site? Thanks :D
Just the spring. Coil does indeed come off of the assembly. Had a buddy who owns a shop do it all for me since I was replacing the front springs as well.

EPM Performance is where I got mine from. It is a little stiffer spring. I would still recommend it even if you did not really need a stiffer one. You can just have it on a lower setting and then bump it up for a passenger or if you go on a road trip and have lots of gear on the bike. :thumbup:

epmperf.com
Call and talk to them, they are VERY helpful. 877-786-6543

JJ Fz6r

Just the spring. Coil does indeed come off of the assembly. Had a buddy who owns a shop do it all for me since I was replacing the front springs as well.

EPM Performance is where I got mine from. It is a little stiffer spring. I would still recommend it even if you did not really need a stiffer one. You can just have it on a lower setting and then bump it up for a passenger or if you go on a road trip and have lots of gear on the bike. :thumbup:

epmperf.com
Call and talk to them, they are VERY helpful. 877-786-6543
I called them and the spring is 619$ :thumbdown: haha il just stick with trying to powdercoat the stock one at a local bodyshop I know :) Il go in tomorow and see how much they charge, might do the handlebar black at the same time :) I have the yellow bike and thinking yellow or black shock, any suggestions? :)

RooKie

I called them and the spring is 619$ :thumbdown: haha il just stick with trying to powdercoat the stock one at a local bodyshop I know :) Il go in tomorow and see how much they charge, might do the handlebar black at the same time :) I have the yellow bike and thinking yellow or black shock, any suggestions? :)
I think yellow would look cool. Also, if you're dropping some dough on painting in, might as well make it something that won't just blend in. My .02

JSP

Super Moderator
No its not... The whole kit, rear, front 2 springs, and new fork oil was around $200 something if I remember right. They are quoting you a whole assembly shock setup or something.

JSP

Super Moderator
Ok, just called and talked to her. She quoted you the whole coil-over assembly.

Part number you want is: SP-YA06-SSB042
Price is $139 and that is for the standard purple spring. $10 more for the black spring. $149 for an upgraded rear black spring. :thumbup:
You have to tell them when you call that you want it black.

JJ Fz6r

Ok, just called and talked to her. She quoted you the whole coil-over assembly.

Part number you want is: SP-YA06-SSB042
Price is $139 and that is for the standard purple spring. $10 more for the black spring. $149 for an upgraded rear black spring. :thumbup:
You have to tell them when you call that you want it black.
Allright thanks alot :p Ya she did look confused when I was speaking to her :S Probably my french accent a lil bit :canada: xD Il check how much the powder coat will be and keep you updated :) Il probably paint it yellow btw if I decide to go with that solution :D

buzzbomb

Elite Member

JJ Fz6r

The red doesn't really bother me that much, but it does stick out like a sore thumb. I'm looking forward to pics of whichever option you go with. Out of curiosity I 'shopped a yellow and black spring onto a marketing pic of the yellow '09 FZ6r I 'shopped for my desktop. As soon as I figure out how to post pics on this forum, I'll upload 'em for ya. The yellow variant actually kinda pops.
Nice cant wait for those pics :) might help me decide :D And ya the red isnt horrible but riding season hasnt started here yet so I might as well put in a few hours of work on the bike for this and that :)

Midnightroadie04

Elite Member

JJ Fz6r

Allright I found one shop name ottawapowdercoating, seems legit xD called them and they quoted me around 30$ to powder coat my spring yellow :) They do the yellow batch twice a week so I would have it back in a week. I found another shop closer and will get a quote from them tomorow to compare :) If everything goes to plan I will disasemble the bike monday :) That shock cover isnt horrible but its too dirtbike for me :p and for cheaper you can powder coat it and make it pop :)

buzzbomb

Elite Member