help me pick a jacket lol

elishatarvin

i need a good jacket that will protect me, keep me cool in the summer and warm in the winter and is reasonably priced. there are so many brands etc. that i don't know. so what do u guys suggest. i have a yellow bike btw.

ajiribarren

i need a good jacket that will protect me, keep me cool in the summer and warm in the winter and is reasonably priced. there are so many brands etc. that i don't know. so what do u guys suggest. i have a yellow bike btw.
There is always going to be a compromise in an all weather jacket. Try to look at one that has an outer mesh panels, a windproof/waterproof liner and a quilted full liner.

The Shift Trifecta comes to mind, here's a review: Shift Trifecta Jacket - webBikeWorld

I have a very similar jacket to the trifecta (Ixon Sismic Flash) and its very versatile. Once again, not the coolest of the jacket in summer (a full mesh would be better) but can flow a lot of air with the liners removed. In Australian winter (5-10 C) it can keep you warm with all the liners on and a sweater underneath.

Hope it helps

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

MikeN02

I would just suggest getting 2 different jackets if you're going to be riding in the winter/rain.

Full on mesh jacket for the summer (believe me, you'll need a full mesh in the hot summer months otherwise you'll go squid and just wear a vest or no jacket)

And a full textile for the winter/rain. The only one that I can vouch for here is the Frank Thomas XTI Textile. Thing is waterproof and kept me warm in Florida "cold" weather about 31ish.

Wyld25

all my gear is ICON. their textile jackets ( well at least the one i have) has a removable insulated liner. works really well in the cold. and without the liner in it breathes great and the wind keeps you cool. however, in mid summer with blazing heat stop lights can get a little rough.

plus they have a back pad in them (also removable). a little pricey but well worth the protection.

and when it gets too hot i just put on my Icon vest with a hard back armor.

thats the brand i recommend

elishatarvin

wow thanks for all the quick replies. i am going to look into all those. keep em coming. i would like to keep it under 200 though.

pyrocpu

Dainese Zen here. Full circumference zipper, links w/ the Dainese New Drake Air Tex armored pants. I've been using this as my summer getup, since I have a separate set for the winter.

The Dainese gear works up to about 95F, so long as I'm moving. No airflow = hot. But I guess that'd be true if you were standing around in your yard in jeans & a T-shirt! :)

MikeN02

Dainese Zen here. Full circumference zipper, links w/ the Dainese New Drake Air Tex armored pants. I've been using this as my summer getup, since I have a separate set for the winter.

The Dainese gear works up to about 95F, so long as I'm moving. No airflow = hot. But I guess that'd be true if you were standing around in your yard in jeans & a T-shirt! :)
First jacket was a dainese laguna seca. I would say it is for a cool breeze jacket only, thing is hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

Has holes in the front but no liner! Looks great though.

pyrocpu

Yes, I nearly went with the Laguna Seca... till I found out I couldn't zip pants to it! :(

That white color too, I figured, would have really helped in humid summers!

elishatarvin

well i have looked at all the mentioned jackets and i think i found a different one that fits my needs. i figure if its real cold i can just wear a sweater or something underneath. alittle more than i want to spend but i think i can swing another 20 bux. its gonna be awhile before i get it but i will be sure to let yall know how it is.

Alpine Stars Jacket

MikeN02

well i have looked at all the mentioned jackets and i think i found a different one that fits my needs. i figure if its real cold i can just wear a sweater or something underneath. alittle more than i want to spend but i think i can swing another 20 bux. its gonna be awhile before i get it but i will be sure to let yall know how it is.

Alpine Stars Jacket
Looks good but not enough mesh, you're going to be burning up in 90+ weather. To be honest I had that dainese laguna seca jacket and it was freezing in the winter, I wore about 2 jackets underneath it and it was still pretty cold until I got the frank thomas which has a liner in it too.

Also during the winter months I wear my sweats underneath my jeans, 2 - 3 layers of socks and my favorite beanie underneath my helmet (have to break it in to the helmet, first time is always tight). Now my brother is prepared for winter and got a ninja mask (anti freeze Balaclava) and one of those anti fog nose

sammy56

I have two jackets including a mesh for summer, but if I were getting just one it would be the Cortech Air Intake Mesh...here is a link
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/TOURMASTER-CORTECH-INTAKE-MOTORCYCLE-JACKET/dp/B0016NA5I2"]Amazon.com: TOURMASTER/CORTECH INTAKE AIR 2 MOTORCYCLE JACKET SILVER/SILVER: Clothing[/ame]

Last edited:

WANDERER

Transition Series 2

'about to buy a Tourmaster Transition Series 2, sometime next week....Cost about $171.00. This will be my cold/winter jacket. As for my summer jacket, I really like the Fieldsheer....'forgot what model it was. I'm also on a budget here...and buying all this stuff as my finances allow it.
I also might get the Icon Tarmac Shoes in white, summer riding shoes and the Icon waterproof version of this in black...

Detrich

i would look for a perforated leather jacket with built-in ce-certified armor and removeable winter liner... depending on your size, you ought to be able to find a lot of choices on closeout for a decent price. i have a fieldsheer flex and love it.

elishatarvin

man closeout is the way to go detrich. so many choices for about 50% off. thanx for the little tip. and thanx to all others for the ideas. like i said its gonna be alittle while before i get one. im doing other things to my bike first. who needs protection if ur bike dont look good lol. o the american way :thumbup:

RandiZ

Two Jackets

I have two jackets, both ladies cut. I got the Cortech LNX, perforated black leather with armor. I thought this would be a good fit all year long and got one a bit larger than normal to wear sweaters under during the winter. Thought I'd have heat stroke the first day over 95degrees this summer, so I got the Cortech LRX air. I really like them both and happy I spent the money.....now. It was a bit of a stretch financially that month. But really nice to ride home with the mesh in the summer heat.

J.J.

I picked up an Olympia Motorsports jacket at Americade early this summer. I literally tried on several jackets from all the vendors who were there and the OM stuff was quality. It has a liner, armor, lots of adjustments. I liked their stuff so much I bought pants too.

They ended up putting up pics on me in their gear on their facebook page. They ended up selling 4 jackets to my friends and I that day.

The gear I love, I can pull the liner in each for warmer days & very happy with the quality.

Heineken

Elite Member