Help! Black Sticky Gunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

behindXgrnXeyes

Hey guys...

I was leaving on the bike this morning for work and as I was about to get, the garage light hit this little pile of black gunk on the floor. Obviously it wasn't where teh bike was currently parked, but probably another day, I just can't say for sure, could have been the day before or as far as last week.

Now being a mechanics daughter, i touch it, smelled it and even tasted it (small amount ppl, no worries) It felt like almost completely dried paint, like accrilic, VERY sticky/gunky. It had no smell and no taste. I rubbed my fingers together to see how it came off and it just stuck to each of my 3 fingers, it rubbed off but not easily.

This is the best I can explain...can anyone help with that this might be? Should I be concerned?

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Spunky99

Did you try smoking it?

KIDDING>>>>>>>>

Could be something you picked up off the road that fell off after you parked the bike. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that coming from a bike.

behindXgrnXeyes

I was thinking some sort of grease as well...I was thinking it didnt have a smell cuz it wasn't hot anymore, rather cold, it was at least there for 2 days. I'll just be sure to check where I park at work and keep an eye out at home to make sure it doesnt keep doing it...

yfz6r

How do you lube your chain? On my fz1, when I pulled the sporcket cover off it was packed against the chain with build up grease. It was tarry and against the chain. I'm sure if that got really hot or wet or something it could drip down and thicken up on the floor.

linkgt

I think it may be chain grease. I just did my front sprocket change and it sounds almost exactly the same as what you're describing. I don't remember a smell, but it's VERY sticky and it looks like shit. This gunk has the tendency to build up next to the sprocket and at one time or another, it may just fall on by itself. This happened when my brother was cleaning the chain on his cbr, this big gunk of grease just fell onto the bottom of the fairing.

oh and :zombie:

k6gad

I think it may be chain grease. I just did my front sprocket change and it sounds almost exactly the same as what you're describing. I don't remember a smell, but it's VERY sticky and it looks like shit. This gunk has the tendency to build up next to the sprocket and at one time or another, it may just fall on by itself. This happened when my brother was cleaning the chain on his cbr, this big gunk of grease just fell onto the bottom of the fairing.

oh and :zombie:
Yep...my thoughts as well.

behindXgrnXeyes

Well thank you everyone...knowing that makes me feel alot better....and the need to scrub my chain.

Unforunitly im doing this off hear say so I spray my chain (i try to do it biweekly) or after I ride in the rain..before a big trip...etc....but i dont clean it...so it building up is quite the explination.

rr_double_rr

Well thank you everyone...knowing that makes me feel alot better....and the need to scrub my chain.

Unforunitly im doing this off hear say so I spray my chain (i try to do it biweekly) or after I ride in the rain..before a big trip...etc....but i dont clean it...so it building up is quite the explination.
Yeah you definitely want to degrease it periodically as well. Adding that much to it over time can cause problems like this. Get a good chain cleaner from Auto Zone, ride the bike around until it warms up, put the bike up on a rear stand like a pitbull, and let the bike idle in first gear. While the chain is turning spray it with the cleaner. Get a good spray in there and loosely hold a rag around the chain itself. Once the residue is removed, then respray your grease. That's the quickest way to do it, IMO.

Then also periodically take the wheel off and do a full lube on it.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

rr_double_rr

Spray the chain with cleaner or lube with the bike in first gear if you want...

BUT DO NOT CLEAN THE CHAIN WITH A RAG WHILE IN FIRST GEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That rear sprocket is like a meat grinder... There's plenty of very graphic threads with pictures about it...
I've done it several times and so long as you use common sense and put the rag on the "downstream" side of the sprocket you're ok. Put it on the side that doesn't try to drag your hand to the rear sprocket.

Mine idles at 5 mph, tops, when sitting like this.

I didn't mention it, but use a scrub brush on the sprocket first, then go to the rag. That way the sprocket isn't recoating the chain with splooge.

If you're not comfortable with it, don't do it.

rr_double_rr accepts no liability in the use of his advice. Any use of said advice constitutes a waiver of his responsibility for your actions. :D

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

rr_double_rr

If you don't mind the risk and your ok with it, it's fine. Not my fingers. Just don't promote this method of cleaning. Doing it with a brush is fine too... not with a rag.

You might never have any problem doing it your way... but that one time might be it. Just like riding without a helmet. All you need is that one time...

Take care Bro...

I'm not trying to throw you under the bus here.. just saying not to promote this kind of work ethics. Turning the wheel by hand while cleaning it take about 5 minutes if I milk it, and another 30 sec to put the lube back on (yes, I do the lube part in first gear...) Doesn't worth the risk...
What kind of work ethics are those? So the process is too dangerous for your peace of mind. Are you seriously trying to censor my opinion and trying to tell me to not express it?

Deanohh

I saw a guy get his shirt caught in a slow turning lathe once. He was an experienced machinist who knew everything.. Taking any chances around moving machinery is not worth the risk. I would not only have the bike shut off while working on the chain, but also pull the key and shut the kill switch off so that nobody could accidently power up anything while my hands are even close to the chain and sprocket.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Sparkxx1

Yeah you definitely want to degrease it periodically as well. Adding that much to it over time can cause problems like this. Get a good chain cleaner from Auto Zone, ride the bike around until it warms up, put the bike up on a rear stand like a pitbull, and let the bike idle in first gear. While the chain is turning spray it with the cleaner. Get a good spray in there and loosely hold a rag around the chain itself. Once the residue is removed, then respray your grease. That's the quickest way to do it, IMO.

Then also periodically take the wheel off and do a full lube on it.
LOL Don't make me laugh countless people have said, "because I knew what I was doing." You never know, not to be rude, but maybe you do need a rude awakening. ANYWAY. These next links are NSFW or for the squeamish, you have been warned!

Another Squid : How NOT to clean your chain. **NSFW** : KawiForums.com Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki motorcycle forums

*Graphic NSFW* How not to lube a bike chain. [Archive] - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
(copy paste the picture links in the archive.)

cut off my finger cleaning the chain *NSFW GORE pg2 & pg4* : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

How NOT to clean your chain. **GRAPHIC PICS*** : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com

Chain cleaning accident (kinda gross) - Sportbikes.net

As for me, I LOVE my fingers. I'm not too sure you do though...

What kind of work ethics are those? So the process is too dangerous for your peace of mind. Are you seriously trying to censor my opinion and trying to tell me to not express it?
Yeah I am kind of asking you to censor yourself if it's a dangerous practice. Unless you put a disclaimer on your opinion saying, "do not try this at home, it is dangerous." You should keep it out of your post. Would you not want a hooker to censor herself around your kids? Because really the situation is relevant. We have people who browse through everyday who do not know what they're doing, or are unsure of what to do.

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator

I will...

Everyone... This is what NOT to do! Never touch that chain while the bike is in gear and the tire is moving. Extremely dangerous and you can lose your fingers very easy.

If you feel you want to do it that way, rr fine. But dont tell others its ok and a good way to do it. We will not condone doing something as dangerous as this. You can state your opinion all you want, and we will state how dangerous it is and preach not to do it that way. Especially to new riders.

There is no reason at all to have a rag or anything on that chain while its moving. Its extremely easy to just move the tire with your hand and do the same thing. Extreme risk for no real extra gain.

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Status
Not open for further replies.