ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Hellgate

Go to Cycle Gear and ask them to help you fit a helmet.

As mentioned everyone has a different shaped head, and each helmet maker uses a different last, like shoe makers.

If you're a 21, per the Shoei chart you need a small.

Also consider that the better helmets have different sized cheek pads so you can get the perfect fit.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member
Last edited:

Detrich

You could try the smallest Arai you can find if you're looking for a small helmet.

Or just get the most or more expensive HJC in XXS. I'm sure the pricier HJC's have SNELL rating...

I fall in-between S & XS myself. XS for HJC and AGV fits me best. Scorpions don't fit me well at all... Arai I noticed I wear S, because they are really tight. I've never tried a Shoei b4 so can't comment on that.

Like I said, AGV, Bell, and Scorpion are the highest rated in crash tests.

BoneJj

see now thats what scares me.... because i need a xx-small from arai... and they are smaller than a shoei and im afraid shoei doesnt have anything that will fit... however there is a xx-small icon i have found.... i may order from revzilla they have the best return policy... i just wish i could find a xx-small arai...
I would strongly suggest taking the time to call places like cyclegear and revzilla and talking with their people about helmets. I did the same when I was having problems finding the right helmet and they directed me to the Bell RS-1 which turned out to be a perfect fit for my fat head (I had to get an XXL). They will ask you questions about the helmets you have tried on and what was good and bad about them, then they will suggest a few things to you. With their help I nailed my helmet down in 2 orders. I made one order, it didn't work, returned it, got the rs1 and bam, perfect glove like fit.

lwclancers

One thing I havent seen mentioned is to buy thicker cheekpads. I have done that a few times with my ICONS. Buy the helmet that fits your head, then buy thicker cheekpads...they arent made just as replacements, they are made at different thicknesses to get the proper fit.

Find out what size (usually in mm's) the XS helmet has, and buy thicker ones for that size.

BoneJj

One thing I havent seen mentioned is to buy thicker cheekpads. I have done that a few times with my ICONS. Buy the helmet that fits your head, then buy thicker cheekpads...they arent made just as replacements, they are made at different thicknesses to get the proper fit.

Find out what size (usually in mm's) the XS helmet has, and buy thicker ones for that size.
I mentioned cheek pads earlier myself... lol.

but yeah, you need the crown fit first. If anything when trying helmets on, take the cheek pads out and then try it on, that way you can get a better idea on the crown fit.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Detrich

U re-measured your head and got 22"? What about in cm? 22" should be a Small not XXS...

My noggen measures 21.5" / 54.5cm, which is right in between XS & S... I can wear either size, but i like XS better cuz its tighter.

So if you feel a XS is still too big, then I'm not sure u measured yourself correctly...

Did you watch these helmet fitment videos? After u watch these two u will know how to size your helmet.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui5E04nwxtw&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]The Helmet Center HJC IS-16 Helmet Review - TheHelmetCenter.com - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8v4qzB5HLY&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]How to fit a Motorcycle Helmet - YouTube[/ame]

Key points:

- both your ears must fully slide into the helmet chamber after u push down all the way so the top of your head is touching the inside top of the helmet.
- there should be a 1 to 2 finger distance (gap) between your chin and the helmet. Or it's too small.
- it should be difficult to talk or chew gum without feeling like u r biting or scraping the insides of ur cheeks.
- u should barely be able to insert a pinky above your forehead- ie it should be skin tight.
- u shouldn't be able to pull the helmet off.
- it should be difficult (slightly pinching) to put the helmet on and take it off. This will continue even after the helmet is broken in. (It just pinches less after fully broken in.)
- there should be no spots on your head that hurt (hot spots). Otherwise the helmet is too small.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member
Last edited:

FZ6R66

I have the Icon Airframe. It is an OK helmet. I recently bought the Shoei RF-1100. What a fantastic helmet. The quality and fit blows away Icon. The way the shield works, the weight. The neck ring, the cheek pads all are better. The air flow is better than the Icon.

Alex6

I have the Icon Airframe. It is an OK helmet. I recently bought the Shoei RF-1100. What a fantastic helmet. The quality and fit blows away Icon. The way the shield works, the weight. The neck ring, the cheek pads all are better. The air flow is better than the Icon.
IMO, comparing Shoei to Icon is similar to comparing Honda to Hyosung...

Detrich

All i know is, if Ben Spies can wear an HJC lid in MotoGP, then HJC can't -all- be that bad. lol. x_X

Alex6

All i know is, if Ben Spies can wear an HJC lid in MotoGP, then HJC can't -all- be that bad. lol. x_X
We are talking about the helmets available off the shelf for regular folks. I do not think Ben Spies is shopping at the mororcycle superstore using 20% discount... :D

Detrich

^ i know... :)

See red

IMO, comparing Shoei to Icon is similar to comparing Honda to Hyosung...
Hyosungs are funner to ride! LOL!!!! Go ride a gv650, and get one opened up with pipes, intake and tune and they are actually funner than sh!t !!!!!!!!!!!

Those helmets are all dependant on the persons head, and taste.