helmet help!

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

b_who

well all hjc helmets are DOT approved so they'll protect u well.
and with the story about that girl and guy, he was most likely paralyzed by neck and spine trauma from impact damaging his nerve.

your fine with your hjc but the many difference between the low brand and going up is ventilation and the materials. if its not safe enough to pass DOT then nobody would sell it and it wouldnt be street legal.

what kind of icon you looking at?
icon are really nice but if youve the cash get a shoei, bells new models are really great or arai

i LOVE my shoei RF-1100, its a night and day difference compared to my HJC FS-15

Blue-Sun

Elite Member
Last edited:

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

BoneJj

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U5UE-13Tp8]How to Fit a Motorcycle Helmet, Sizing Guide by RevZilla.com - YouTube[/ame]

If it fits, is comfortable, and you can love it long time...... lol.

Buy it, as long as it's a least DOT, snell is nice but snell will cost you. The biggest thing is fitment, if you can even partially move a helmet side to side, you need a tighter helmet. If you can move the helmet side to side, you need a more narrow style helmet, if you can more it front to back, you need a smaller size or rounder helmet.

A truly proper fitting helmet should fit like a glove from the crown of your head all the way down.

As for the horrible situation that the guy you mentioned now has to deal with. The helmet more than likely didn't have much of a hand in this. The only thing that could have probably helped him here would have been a hans type device that they make for cyclists. it's basically a thick foam pad to go between the helmet and your shoulders to help prevent problems with the excess flexion of the neck in a crash.

I hope he is able to regain use of the rest of his body, it's happened, may he be blessed with that possibility.

iSpoolin

I have an Icon Alliance Torrent helmet and I love it so far, My brother wears the Airframe, both are great helmets, BUT I liked my Scorpion Exo 1000 alot better.

FitZ6R

the only reason i have to buy the new helmet is because i like it, its comfy and because of Icon's reputation of having great gear.
If your'e going to buy on reputation, skip the fashion stuff like Icon and get a Shoei or Arai. At least they have a real track record.

Personally, I'm not picky about brand labels. What's important, IMO, is that a helmet fits, it's comfortable, and I wear it every time. Any full face helmet is a lot better then no helmet, but no helmet offers guaranteed protection. Even the Snell test is only a 17 MPH impact - beyond that, bets are off.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
heres the video, as a response to what you guys have said and given me maybe you guys can help me a little better with this

helmet help video response. - YouTube

That helmet is definitely way too big for your head. It should not move like that. It looks like it sits on your cheeks fairly decent but way too much movement.

It should be snug at all points of your head without causing any pain.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
then i guess i shall be going to try some helmets on today..... perhaps i can sell the hjc? this helmet isnt worth much more than $60 used though :/
Yes, you for sure need a new helmet. That one is not safe. Used helmets are somewhat hard to sell. I sold a used HJC for $20. You may get $20-$40. Check CL for what used lids are going for.

Scorpion helmets fit me the best, like a glove. I wouldnt mind an Arai, but they just kill my head with pressure points. Does not hurt that the Scorpion is a good priced helmet. :thumbup: Different brands are shaped differently, so you need to try multiple brands on and find the one that fits you the best without causing any pain.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member
Last edited:

BoneJj

That helmet is definitely way too big for your head. It should not move like that. It looks like it sits on your cheeks fairly decent but way too much movement.

It should be snug at all points of your head without causing any pain.
I agree, that helmet is way too loose on his head. That side to side movement should not be happening at all. That could cause some serious damage in an accident.

I would definitely say you need a much more snug helmet, and you should be going to try helmets on as soon as possible. But don't just try on a couple and take one you like, try all the brands and models you can find, if you find one fits better than another then great, if you find one that is snug all around your head from font to back, side to side then you are in business. Cheek pads can be changed on a helmet, it's pretty easy to change them up anymore and you will want cheek pads that restrict that rotating motion you have in your video.

Alex6

heres the video, as a response to what you guys have said and given me maybe you guys can help me a little better with this
Try this site: Motorcycle Helmets - webBikeWorld

It will give you some idea on what type of head shapes fit different helmets. For example Arai has helmets for different head shapes. Vector 2 also has removable layers in the pads to make a custom fit.

Here's a joke - "the cost of a helmet is proportinal to a value of one's head". And we know there is some level of truth in every joke. ;)

Last edited:

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Detrich

There are different articles on DOT, SNELL, and ECN ratings... The type of crash usually determines how well a helmet will perform. Some SNELL's don't necessarily protect better than some DOT's, because the overall impact would be so severe that your other injuries would already be fatal. Likewise, some DOT's protect just as well as SNELL...

But, all articles I've read seem to agree that ECN is actually the best of the 3...

AGV, Bell, and Scorpion have the highest crash test ratings in the UK... HJC is less than stellar for sure...

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

That said, I have both AGV & HJC helmets. And, despite HJC having less than stellar crash test ratings, I still wear it more cuz it's more comfortable to me and has more practical features. I guess in a few years I'll prolly look at getting another AGV or perhaps a Bell like Jon's. (Scorpions don't fit my head shape.)

A helmet typically only has a 5 year shelf life anyways. I don't think that just cuz you have an HJC you have to run to the hills paranoid about it. Well, not unless unless you are a high risk rider & ride like a maniac...

But, still- it's a personal decision. I do think getting the best possible gear u can afford is always a good idea...

Hope this helps.