helmet help!

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Alex6

Hyosungs are funner to ride! LOL!!!! Go ride a gv650, and get one opened up with pipes, intake and tune and they are actually funner than sh!t !!!!!!!!!!!

Those helmets are all dependant on the persons head, and taste.
The individual fit is not an issue here. Comparing build/components/paint quality, features, level of protection - Shoei helmets are completely in a different league from Icon.

3leggeddog

U re-measured your head and got 22"? What about in cm? 22" should be a Small not XXS...

My noggen measures 21.5" / 54.5cm, which is right in between XS & S... I can wear either size, but i like XS better cuz its tighter.

So if you feel a XS is still too big, then I'm not sure u measured yourself correctly...

Did you watch these helmet fitment videos? After u watch these two u will know how to size your helmet.

The Helmet Center HJC IS-16 Helmet Review - TheHelmetCenter.com - YouTube

How to fit a Motorcycle Helmet - YouTube

Key points:

- both your ears must fully slide into the helmet chamber after u push down all the way so the top of your head is touching the inside top of the helmet.
- there should be a 1 to 2 finger distance (gap) between your chin and the helmet. Or it's too small.
- it should be difficult to talk or chew gum without feeling like u r biting or scraping the insides of ur cheeks.
- u should barely be able to insert a pinky above your forehead- ie it should be skin tight.
- u shouldn't be able to pull the helmet off.
- it should be difficult (slightly pinching) to put the helmet on and take it off. This will continue even after the helmet is broken in. (It just pinches less after fully broken in.)
- there should be no spots on your head that hurt (hot spots). Otherwise the helmet is too small.
Too bad I hadn't seen these before buying my first helmet. Ended up with an Icon Alliance in XXL...yesterday I tried on a Shoei RF-1100 in a large and according to the "helpful" folks at the bike shop, it was a good fit so I bought it. Now, though, it seems that might be too large too since my head measures 22", which is a small/medium. Guess I'll go back and try on a smaller one. The big problem for me is the folks aren't very helpful, or they just thought I knew what I was doing. Anyway, thanks for the videos and hopefully I'll find something that fits.

Um...anyone wanna buy a slightly used helmet with 3 face shields??

JimmyC

I have a ICON Harbinger Alliance helmet...I like the helmet it is very light and comfortale..it has great ventillation for warm weather riding how ever even with the vents closed it still breathes very well wich is a little bit of a drawback on cold New England mornings. I feel my Scorpion sat a little lower than the Icon so you tend to get more wind on the neck and chin.with the Icon.again when it is cold you feel it. Overall great helmet...great graphics and very comfortable...not to bad for wind noise overall I am happy with it..I also believe it is only DOT Rated.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member