Headlight modulator

jgelack

Is anyone running a modulator? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I'm trying to decide whether to go with a modulator or HIDs. I do understand one is to be seen better, and the other is to see better, decisions. Too bad I could not have both.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

jgelack

HIDs

Do the HIDs really make that big of a difference? I've really only seen them on You Tube, can't really tell alot from a video. But they do seem to be popular, so there must be a reason. Anyone from PA know if they are legal. Am I going to have a hard time with them come inspection time.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Maadi

I've had a headlight modulator for years. Absolutely love it!
Pro: Can't tell you how many times I have observed a driver starting to turn onto the road I'm on and suddenly come to a jerking halt because the flashing light finally registers in their brain as MOVEMENT. I still don't expect people to see me, but haven't had a close call since I got it.
Con: When the ambient light level is low, but not low enough to stop the modulating, it seems a bit excessive sometimes. I see a lot of people adjust their rear view mirrors when I'm behind them. I try to leave a lot of space in front of me to be polite.

I can't tell you whether it would be better than HID lights since I have no experience with them, but I am very happy with it. I do not have a need to ride in the dark much, so I don't need the extra light to the sides the posts above mentioned.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

jgelack

It seems that HIDs would give you the best of both worlds. You would be more visible to other motorists in the daytime due to the brighter light, and also be able to see better at night. Seems like a win/win.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

MaximumHP

I don't have HID on my bike (yet), but I can tell you in a car I would never go back either. The natural light color they put out is so much nicer and cleaner providing better visability. I don't even have the good projector kind and I still love them.