Having trouble installing Protons (custom wiring)

Fzara2000

So apparently the previous owner of my bike installed her own flush mounts and now after taking them apart, i'm seeing custom wiring and plugs and unsure of how to install the protons. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the crappy pics...

Attachments

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Fzara2000

They're bullet connectors for quick disconnects. The flush mount used probably didn't come with oem plugs so the had to be cut off the stock signals. They were reattached with the bullet connectors to make it easier to remove the fairings. That's what it looks like anyways.
Should I just cut the wire from the old turn signals and re-use those same bullet connectors? The same bullet connectors are in the bike already it seems (i'm not sure what they did to the old connector in the bike) I just don't know what wire needs to be wired to what. The old turn signal has 2 black wires and 1 red..

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

ArmyFZ6R

check with motodynamic.com, they sell the wire harness you need to take it back to factory style.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Fzara2000

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366474235.254327.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's:

Proton red - bike blue
Proton black - bike black
proton orange (strobe) - bike brown (left side)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366474449.411060.jpg

2nd pic are the old bullet connectors.

1) What type of bullet connectors are these?

2) Assuming I can't find them at Home Depot, should I reuse the old turn signal wires? Only problem with that is I would need to figure out their wiring as well. As I mentioned, they're two black and one red. A google search shows that they're cheap, BikeMaster flush mounts. Only problem is that I wasn't able to find install instructions for them to know what wire is what.

3) ill probably need a wire crimper as well.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Fzara2000

Black = Black
Blue = Red
Brown = Orange
Note: If you have a green wire not a brown wire the green to the orange wire.

Yellow is used in place of the orange if you want it to strobe.

You shouldn't need to figure out the wires from the old flushmounts since you're not using them. Crimp bullet connectors to the protons and then plug them in according to the colors up above. Just take notice which one is male and which one is female. Not sure why they didn't use all female on one side and all male the other to make it easier. You could take one the the bullet connectors off the old signals and take it to Radioshack to see if they can find that size. I don't think they're reusable since they should have been crimped on. You will definitely need a crimper/stripper. You can pick one up at radioshack while you're there getting connectors.
Thanks for the advice. Seems like they used two different sized bullet connectors as well - i'm going to need to make another home depot run later.

The proton wires slip all the way through whereas the old ones were much thicker and stopped at one point in the bullet connectors. Does it matter what size the wire is when inserting into the bullet connectors?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Fzara2000

Installed!! Thank you both for your help!!!

Looks like one of the bullet connectors in the bike came off and I had to crimp the wire down and dirty myself. Fun and a great learning experience!

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member